Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2019, 06:37 PM

Default Getting back In

We are downsizing substantially and I really will not have enough room for my 2 fish tanks of 90 gallons each. About 5 years ago I gave up my 6 frog enclosures after being involved for about 10 years so I have experience with dart frogs from thumbs to galacts. In my limited space I will be able to fit just one frog enclosure with a footprint of no more than 3 feet square but it can be 3 feet high too. What suggestions would you have for a group of frogs say 6 or more in a space of that size that would utilize not only the floor but the elevation and perhaps even breed in there? Assume frog price is not an issue for now! Thanks in advance for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Getting back In

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj921 View Post
We are downsizing substantially and I really will not have enough room for my 2 fish tanks of 90 gallons each. About 5 years ago I gave up my 6 frog enclosures after being involved for about 10 years so I have experience with dart frogs from thumbs to galacts. In my limited space I will be able to fit just one frog enclosure with a footprint of no more than 3 feet square but it can be 3 feet high too. What suggestions would you have for a group of frogs say 6 or more in a space of that size that would utilize not only the floor but the elevation and perhaps even breed in there? Assume frog price is not an issue for now! Thanks in advance for any input!
For a tank that size and the quantity of frogs you are wanting, I would stick to smaller thumbs that are more arboreal in behavior.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:05 PM

Would escudos, vanzolini fit in that category? I had these before but really don't remember much about either, plus my tanks then were mostly just 20 highs. Any suggestions?

Old 04-17-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Would escudos, vanzolini fit in that category? I had these before but really don't remember much about either, plus my tanks then were mostly just 20 highs. Any suggestions?
Ranitomeya vanzolinii — Ranitomeya

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ca...ed-expert.html

I think that both of those would be candidates but would say that a smaller group would be more appropriate in my opinion. Pumilio can be aggressive. Vanzos will skew more towards the terrestrial spectrum for ranitomeya based off of reports that I have read, meaning they may feel a little more crowded than they may like in your tank. Remember, they both will lay eggs and you will be having offspring pop up from time to time. You can pull them or leave them be. Having a smaller group would allow the offspring to grow up in a better environment more conducive to them growing up into healthy frogs. Less competition, and less stress.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Thanks Michael for input. I always like the benedicta too. I haven't seen too many people selling escudos or benedicta now. I have time as we have not sold this house yet.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks Michael for input. I always like the benedicta too. I haven't seen too many people selling escudos or benedicta now. I have time as we have not sold this house yet.
Escudos are going to be the harder of the two to find since they are obligates. Benedicta, aren't particularly difficult to find and are stunning frogs. I would love to work with benedicta at some point.