facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBiggs
  • 1 Post By DPfarr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2018, 12:02 AM

Default Classroom Tank Needs

Hello all!

I am beginning the process of building a tank for a 3rd grade classroom at an underprivileged elementary school in Waterloo, Iowa, USA. I did this a few years ago for a 1st grade classroom in the same school and it went incredibly well! Like last time, I'm planning to shoulder the costs myself for the most part, but I thought I would ask you wonderful people just in case you have supplies laying around that you would be willing to donate to a good cause.

We have a tank and I've also got some materials from other builds leftover for the false bottom, as well as silicone and some black foam. Everything else, I will need to either purchase or source.

Here's a list I'll be working from. If you have something you can donate, please comment or PM. If needed, I can cover shipping costs for some things, as long as the shipping doesn't make it more expensive than just buying locally.

Substrate
Cork Bark
Plants (Slow growing is preferred, the teacher(s) do not want to have to prune at all, and I'll only be able to come in a couple times a semester. So... no Wandering Jew lol) I will be using clippings from my other tank, but there won't be enough to get it fully planted.

Isopods (I've got springtails.)

Lights (will probably just use CF's unless someone donates LEDs. Update: An AMAZING vendor donated a custom LED light fixture. Thanks Kurt!)

And the biggest item: A misting system. Unfortunately, there will be no way to have access to the tank over weekends (including long weekends), so a misting system will be necessary. I realize that I will probably have to spring for this one myself, but it can't hurt to add it to the list just in case.

This site has rocked the frog scene since day one, and I appreciate everything (and so will the kids!)

I will start a build thread for this, and will also post photos of the tank with the class!
Phyllobates likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrBiggs For This Useful Post:
McBr (11-24-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 AM

I manage the greenhouses at Sacramento State University, and would be happy to send you some plants correspondent to the area your frogs are from.

If you’re interested, let pm me and we can get it squared away before it gets any colder.
varanoid likes this.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Classroom Tank Needs

I have some giant orange iso's I would be glad to donate to your cause. Send PM if interested.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPfarr View Post
I manage the greenhouses at Sacramento State University, and would be happy to send you some plants correspondent to the area your frogs are from.

If youíre interested, let pm me and we can get it squared away before it gets any colder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudeabides View Post
I have some giant orange iso's I would be glad to donate to your cause. Send PM if interested.
PMs have been sent.
Old 10-27-2018, 03:35 PM

This is all really really cool to see, Biggs - I'm glad this worked out for you.

Of course, I really wish I'd thought of this back when I was doing an educational build, instead of going out of pocket...
Old 10-27-2018, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borkk View Post
This is all really really cool to see, Biggs - I'm glad this worked out for you.

Of course, I really wish I'd thought of this back when I was doing an educational build, instead of going out of pocket...
Well, it still involved some pretty meaningful out of pocket costs. However, with the generous donations I received, I've been able to create something really nice for the kids. Had I done it entirely on my own, the end result wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable to look at.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2018, 01:06 PM

Add a way to lock the lid or door. A student (unrelated to the classroom) opened one and they lost their frogs.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonflylady View Post
Add a way to lock the lid or door. A student (unrelated to the classroom) opened one and they lost their frogs.
That's a good call. I did the same thing - used a glass-specific superglue to attach some L brackets to the doors and tank body so they lined up, then ran a little cable lock through the whole thing. Not foolproof, but then neither is just smashing the glass if somebody is really dedicated to causing trouble.

Like this stuff
bracket -https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JOVO1N2
glue - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PSBBM8
lock - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SKXRJI
Old 11-02-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonflylady View Post
I think that's generally great advice! In this situation, it's not necessary. This classroom is doubled up with adults and, because of the behavior needs of a couple, is never unattended. When empty, the door is required to be locked.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
Hello all!

And the biggest item: A misting system. Unfortunately, there will be no way to have access to the tank over weekends (including long weekends), so a misting system will be necessary. I realize that I will probably have to spring for this one myself, but it can't hurt to add it to the list just in case.
While misting systems are great, in reality, you don't absolutely need a misting system. A cheap $10 - $20 ultrasonic humidifier will do a fine job keeping the tank humid / moist over a long weekend, or even over a Christmas break. Just need to put in a vacation feeding culture.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalk View Post
While misting systems are great, in reality, you don't absolutely need a misting system. A cheap $10 - $20 ultrasonic humidifier will do a fine job keeping the tank humid / moist over a long weekend, or even over a Christmas break. Just need to put in a vacation feeding culture.
My experience with foggers is poor, and I also have no good way to pipe it in to the tank.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBiggs View Post
My experience with foggers is poor, and I also have no good way to pipe it in to the tank.

The plumbing for a misting system is more complex than is the plumbing for a fogging system. Fogging system (think 3/4 inch pvc pipe to the top of the tank.)

Tags
classroom, donations, thank you