Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 03:35 PM

Default How to know when froglets are ready?

I've had Leuc froglets for two months now. They are probably close to 4 months out of the water, and are about 3/4 of an inch long. They are eating great and quite bold and active. Their tank has been growing out for months and has been seeded with isopods and springtails--I'll probably re-seed this week as well to bump up the populations.

I'm excited for them to go in the "big" tank but don't want to put them in too early. Planning on having feeding stations etc. Is there a key to knowing when they are ready?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2018, 08:43 PM

Default Re: How to know when froglets are ready?

There is no set in stone timeline for this sort of thing. I'd say its ready if you have already seeded the tank with microfauna and the plants have established themselves a bit. Won't hurt to add some more microfauna though. You may want to toss a little yeast under the leaf litter and check in a few hours to see if you do indeed see some springs. But I would say put them in there.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 AM

Thanks, that’s good advice about checking the microfauna population. We’re also at a seasonal shift here (outdoor temps are swinging 30+ degrees) so I’m watching the tank temps for a few days to make sure it’s stable. I think they’re ready but they’re still small and it will be harder to keep an eye on them.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:44 PM

Update: they're in and doing well. They seem to be utilizing the feeding stations well and I can generally spot 2-3 at a time, and all four when actively feeding. I took ID photos during the transfer so I can check everybody's eating

It's super gratifying to see them using the space I designed--in both ways I did and did not expect!
Old 10-27-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidd View Post
It's super gratifying to see them using the space I designed--in both ways I did and did not expect!
Isn't it? That's the most rewarding part for me.

For future reference, I've always just gone by size as far as when to move froglets over. I've put them in when they're about 1/3 grown and they've always done well. It seems less critical when they're the ONLY ones in the big tank, but later on I don't want them to get outcompeted by full-grown frogs so I let them get a little bigger first.

Really nice looking viv.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bork For This Useful Post:
Skidd (10-27-2018)