Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Moving Vivariums across state.... Help/Tips?

So im moving at the end of summer to Lubbock from Ft Worth, its about a 5 hour drive. Im taking my pair of Azureus housed in a 20 gallon long, the vivarium weights about 60lbs. How should i go about moving/transporting the frogs and vivarium?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2018, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Moving Vivariums across state.... Help/Tips?

I moved a 10 gallon on a 5 hour drive in August. I just made sure to thoroughly tape all doors/holes/etc, and wrapped it in some blankets and threw it in the trunk. Since it'll be warm you won't have to worry about temperature really.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:20 PM

I think if I was to do this, I would separate the frogs and keep them in the car passenger cabin so you can monitor the temperatures they are exposed to. If you stop for lunch or get out of the car to do other things, you can bring them with you. Also, keep them out of direct sunlight at all costs. The tank might be OK in the trunk, depending on outside temps and exposure to sun, but I would really worry about them potentially overheating inside the tank and in the trunk for a trip that long.

Mark

Old 06-21-2018, 01:08 AM

I'd highly suggest removing the frogs, just in case something in the viv shifts around in transit. Get a deli cup or similar, poke a few holes in the lid, put some damp sphagnum in the bottom, add the frogs, and put them in the car cupholder. Opaque sides on the cup are best but not required. If you get out of the car for longer than 10 minutes, take the cup inside with you. NEVER put the cup in direct sunlight. If you get out of the car at all, put the cup down below the dashboard, in the shade, but don't forget it's down there! You could also put them in a little critter keeper, you just need something that can contain the humidity well without being airtight.

For the tank, tape the doors and lid shut, wrap a couple towels around it, and stick it in the trunk. Water well beforehand and the plants should be fine as long as they aren't left in the car without air conditioning for hours on end. Again, no direct sunlight. If sunlight is unavoidable, put lots of towels over the viv and stick a few ice cubes inside the viv to cool things down slightly.

Tags
moving, transportation