Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   young frogs in with parents? - e. tricolor (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/3306-young-frogs-parents-e-tricolor.html)

12-13-2004 03:09 PM

young frogs in with parents? - e. tricolor

hi all

i have a lot of e.tricolor young frogs - they are about 1.5months (in the frogs stage) now and eating like pigs

can i put them back in with the adults yet ?

thanks

Jonny :)

12-13-2004 05:59 PM

well ive put 5 in the cage with the adults now anyway!

12-13-2004 06:14 PM

I would prefer to let them get more size-- half grown or so first, but we shall see. If the tank is large enough and well established, then it would make things easier.
j

KeroKero 12-14-2004 08:05 PM

I would personally prefer not to put them back in until they are at least 3 months (half growth) but when I kept tricolors in groups I'd let the parents take care of their eggs and transport the tads to the "pond" I had in the tank. Unfortunately when the pond got a little bit overgrown I was missing tads and it became regular that I would get liitle mud colored froglets hopping around with the parents. No real harm came of it as far as I know (didn't know the numbers of the froglets) but I did worry about them getting food (I feed heavily with FFs and the tank was loaded with springtails so I don't know how much of an issue this was).

In the hidden life exhibit at the NAIB when they were housed there it was common to find eggs, tads, and froglets at various stages of development.

12-14-2004 08:16 PM

its only natural to have young in with adults anway

cant do any harm :)

KeroKero 12-14-2004 08:57 PM

You never know, especially with an agressive species like tricolor. If you have a large enough tank, sure there is no issue as long as you throw in enough food. Having 4 adults in a 10 gallon then trying to add in a clutch of froglets (which could easily number over 20, my clutch record is 23) that could be an issue.

I'm actually suprised how agressive this species can be and then they really don't care about froglets hopping about, its like they aren't even there. Then again, the froglets are much more secretive until they color up like the adults so they probibly don't interact that much anyways.