Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hyp81

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2017, 02:48 AM

Default P. vittatus

I am fairly new to dart frogs, though not to herp keeping. I got my first darts a couple months back and they are doing well-- leucs and auratus. I have an opportunity to trade for a 2.3 group of P. vittatus and am wondering what you all think about them for a person who is fairly new to darts. I see them listed as novice but I am not sure why or what I should consider when thinking about keeping them. Any opinions will be appreciated. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 03:59 AM

Default Re: P. vittatus

My one vittatus female just laid 22 eggs. You would be getting 3 females. If 2 males and 2 females laid 1 clutch each of, let's say, 18 eggs each. That's 36 eggs. They can lay that size clutch again in less then 3 weeks time. Do you have the ability to raise and care for 20 tadpoles, let alone 76?
I love vittatus. Extremely shy, in my possession at least. But that's one thing to think about when getting breeding groups. And yes, easy frog to keep. Extremely quick too for their size. Nice Loud call. Sometimes I can hear them over the t.v. If your frogs are unproven or unsexed, then yeah sure, get the vittatus group! They're a neat frog to have. But, you may not see them as much. BUT YOU'LL HEAR THEM!!!
Old 01-20-2017, 12:19 PM

Vitattus are good beginner frogs in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-20-2017, 12:32 PM

They were one of my first frogs. They are great, but I would recommend not getting a breeding group, or you will be up to your neck in tadpoles!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
My one vittatus female just laid 22 eggs. You would be getting 3 females. If 2 males and 2 females laid 1 clutch each of, let's say, 18 eggs each. That's 36 eggs. They can lay that size clutch again in less then 3 weeks time. Do you have the ability to raise and care for 20 tadpoles, let alone 76?
I love vittatus. Extremely shy, in my possession at least. But that's one thing to think about when getting breeding groups. And yes, easy frog to keep. Extremely quick too for their size. Nice Loud call. Sometimes I can hear them over the t.v. If your frogs are unproven or unsexed, then yeah sure, get the vittatus group! They're a neat frog to have. But, you may not see them as much. BUT YOU'LL HEAR THEM!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
They were one of my first frogs. They are great, but I would recommend not getting a breeding group, or you will be up to your neck in tadpoles!

So just to ask (as a newby) even if the females lay a lot of eggs, I don't have to incubate them, right? My female Phelsuma laticauda lays a lot of eggs but I don't incubate all of them. I freeze most of them.

I am glad to hear that they are easy keepers. What size viv would you all recommend if I do get a breeding group? I suppose I could trade a pair off, which would leave me with a 1.2 group.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Mod

They are great frogs.

If you don't want to breed them, just don't give them a water source in the tank and cull any eggs that still pop up. You'll be fine.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carola1155 View Post
They are great frogs.

If you don't want to breed them, just don't give them a water source in the tank and cull any eggs that still pop up. You'll be fine.
I would like to try to raise some tadpoles, but I don't want to be a massive breeder. Thanks for the advice.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
CMK hit the nail on the head. I have a 1.1.3 group. Before the temps dropped here in PA, they were laying a clutch every week. As they were just coming of age as far as breeding, clutches have been a little smaller, but the frequency can be a bit much if you are not prepared. I personally love their loud call, but can see how some people could be annoyed at the relentlessness. They are VERY shy, so if you do get them, don't really plan on seeing them much. You will more often see bright orange streaks moving like lightning through the viv as you approach. The shyness is the only drawback of these beautiful frogs for me.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothed43 View Post
CMK hit the nail on the head. I have a 1.1.3 group. Before the temps dropped here in PA, they were laying a clutch every week. As they were just coming of age as far as breeding, clutches have been a little smaller, but the frequency can be a bit much if you are not prepared. I personally love their loud call, but can see how some people could be annoyed at the relentlessness. They are VERY shy, so if you do get them, don't really plan on seeing them much. You will more often see bright orange streaks moving like lightning through the viv as you approach. The shyness is the only drawback of these beautiful frogs for me.
Do you find that they get used to you with time? My leucomelas don't care about my activity and are out often. The auratus are more shy but come out when I feed and seem to be getting more used to me.

The calls don't bother me at all. I have a tokay. He is crazy loud all night. This will at least be during the day.
Fingolfin likes this.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:33 PM

I have two males in a ten gallon horizontal. When I first got them, I didn't see them for days on end. Now, 2 1/2 years later, I still only see them at feeding time. That being said, I have heard some people's vittatus are often out and pretty bold.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp81 View Post
Do you find that they get used to you with time? My leucomelas don't care about my activity and are out often. The auratus are more shy but come out when I feed and seem to be getting more used to me.

The calls don't bother me at all. I have a tokay. He is crazy loud all night. This will at least be during the day.

I do not think they have gotten used to human presence. I only see them if I wait a minute after feeding and stand very still next to the viv. I know where each one hides so I know where to look for them when they start coming out for food.