Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 05:50 PM

Default New vivarium build

I am in the planning process of building my next vivarium. It is the massive 36x36x18 exo terra. I have the materials I will be needing/using either here or on the way. However, I am still trying to figure out what lighting to use. This is going in our bedroom it was actually my wife's idea which I am completely ok with. I am looking for suggestions on lighting. It does have to be decent looking since it is going in our bedroom. I am not wanting to put dome lights on top but may have to. I will go with LED over other types.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2017, 11:16 PM

Default Re: New vivarium build

I have the exo terra 36/36/18 and run a marine land reef led.
Low profile, gets warm but never too warm.
Great programmable light, all plants are doing well even the moss on the bottom.
Set it up two years ago, have not checked par on it because plants are doing so well.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:20 PM

Hey! That's an awesome tank. I had one of those a while back. It's awesome to have the space to use some more of the sprawling plants. The nice thing with an 18 tall is that most LED setups will do just fine. It's not so tall that the squares rule will start to hinder. I'm just getting back into darts and I have been doing a good deal of research into the lighting situation nowadays. The marineland reef LED setups seem to be great. I am picking up a Finnex Planted+ 24/7 for my new setup. I have heard good things and it's rather affordable. I found it on amazon if you're interested. Here's a link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0HMWSG...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-03-2017, 01:53 PM

I have one of these (link below) on my 36x18x36. It seems to be doing great. I get good growth even at the bottom of the tank. The lenses help direct the light down into the tank better. Mine came with cooling fans, too, so it should last forever...

Mark

SE Quad 36" Timer 6500K LED Aquarium Light Freshwater Plant 56x 3W 90 cm | eBay
Old 01-19-2017, 12:48 PM

i use beamworks LED. the are cheaper then alot of other led iv seen and the light bar itself is fairly flat so you dont have this big bulky light sitting on top
Old 01-20-2017, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montivar View Post
I am in the planning process of building my next vivarium. It is the massive 36x36x18 exo terra. I have the materials I will be needing/using either here or on the way. However, I am still trying to figure out what lighting to use. This is going in our bedroom it was actually my wife's idea which I am completely ok with. I am looking for suggestions on lighting. It does have to be decent looking since it is going in our bedroom. I am not wanting to put dome lights on top but may have to. I will go with LED over other types.
Those measurements had me going crazy for a while, I thought "a 3 foot square 18" high tank, how weird" and then frogsarefun/rosenke's post talking about an 18 tall, I had to find out. I think you meant a 36x18x36 because from my quick search exo terra doesn't sell a 36x36x18, anyway , any updates? Hope you chose a light.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasecEsp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by montivar View Post
Those measurements had me going crazy for a while, I thought "a 3 foot square 18" high tank, how weird" and then frogsarefun/rosenke's post talking about an 18 tall, I had to find out. I think you meant a 36x18x36 because from my quick search exo terra doesn't sell a 36x36x18, anyway , any updates? Hope you chose a light.
It's 36"tall, 36"long 18" from the front doors to the back wall.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokirathehunter View Post
It's 36"tall, 36"long 18" from the front doors to the back wall.
I don't owe any exo terra tanks that's why the measurements (36x36x18) the op gave looked weird to me.
In the aquarium side we use, *length*X*width*X*height when describing tank measuments.
Yes I found out its 18" width/deep ( from front to back) after my search.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:00 PM

I don't have one either, i want one though lol
Old 01-22-2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokirathehunter View Post
I don't have one either, i want one though lol
hehe, yah I want one too.