Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Noxz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2016, 09:02 PM

Arrow Moving Suggestions

I will be moving from the San Francisco Bay area to Seattle in a few short weeks.

I have moved with a few frogs, via a multi-day amtrak train ride years ago but my collection has expanded greatly. If not the train again, I will fly, I recently flew with a few of the frogs back from Microcosm and had no issues asking the TSA, on 9/11 at that, to hand check the bag instead of xray - so no worries getting the frogs to WA, only catching them all will be tough..

It's the tanks I am questioning.. I plan on using PODS (made searching for this slightly difficult) or similar container transport, door-to-door. I have a dozen or so, primarily exoterra of varying sizes, (3) 12x12x18, (4) 18x18x18, (1) 18x18x24, (1) 18x36x18, (1) 18x38x24.. along with some (4) converted aquariums and so forth. I actually bought most of these from a site online and kept some great packing material that it shipped with (blue slim packs) that were basically on every corner.. Would it be better to have all the vivs ontop of this packing material, directly on the bottom of the shipping container, secured w/ tie downs? Could there be some stacking to save space?it would be interesting if I could simply tie down all the vivs on the current shelving unit inside the PODS but I am not so sure it is that stable; and no cushioning for bumps in the road..

So in summary, looking for general packing advice for fully built vivs in shipping container w/ door-to-door transport.
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Moving Suggestions

I moved several tanks from Alaska down to Portland last year; through a company called U-Pack. Basically a large trailer that you load yourself. I wrapped the tanks in foam board insulating material for those that needed it and made sure to put soft things underneath them, either pillows or blankets, or what not. Make sure with Exo's to tape the doors closed; if they twist at all the clasp won't hold them and they will swing open and break. My tall exo tank (36x18x36) I ratchet strapped to the side of the container in addition to my other packing practices. Everything made the trip really well (I even had some plants in the viv survive, and this was driving through Canada in November). I'd be very hesitant about stacking anything; drives are bouncy and I feel like the tanks will bounce and then break if they're stacked on top of each other. I'd do everything on the floor. My reasoning for the pillows and blankets underneath instead of something more rigid is I needed to support the glass plate on the bottom with something that had some give; so it could move around a bit and not just be against a hard surface with no support. It worked super well for me and I didn't lose a single tank.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:37 AM

Default Re: Moving Suggestions

makes sense to have padding underneath, will certainly do that.. as well as around if I can. The only way I would think abut stacking is if not a lot was in the tank, and they were boxed, sort of how they were shipped to me.. I actually have a few blank vivs that havent been built up yet/are empty.

there are a few heavily planted vivs that may be difficult to catch all the frogs, that will be the hardest part I think.. Also moving them out of the current location (I am in a converted attic and the corners for the stairs are not wide) but that is another story..

and yeah, it is a toss up between PODS and U-Pack, essentially the same service.
TarantulaGuy likes this.

Tags
moving, shipping, vivariums