Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2004, 07:34 PM

Default How many tads do pumilio raise?

I am getting some pumilio soon, and I wanted to know how many tads they will raise to froglets, as I have seen a few pictures with 6+ eggs, and that seemed like a large clutch to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2004, 07:41 PM

They usually lay many more than they will actually raise, at least in captivity. Don't expect more than a few at a time.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:49 PM

I have had them raise 4 froglets, two about a week apart. The later ones were much smaller. Its been a while since they have done some parental work

Old 10-30-2004, 02:54 PM

As Rob stated, they will usually lay a few more than they actually raise. You may see a few of the embryo simply not make it to hatching or come out with deformalities. I propose that the larger clutrch sizes is to make up for these 'errors'. I once had a pair of long term captive bri bris that went through 3 clutches before getting it right. The 4th clutch contained 7 eggs but only 4 had survived the internal development and only 3 had made it as neonates. My current almirante pair had laid a clutch of 6 but only 3 made it to the water. All in all, don't expect them all to make it....feeding eggs to a large group is probably very taxing on the females.

-Bill J.
bobrez likes this.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:45 PM

I have a question. When you see offspring how do you get them out of the tank? It's hard enough trying to catch a frog that small, let alone a tiny baby.
Old 10-30-2004, 04:56 PM

Jared,

That is a very good question. I don't know what the rest fo the pumilio breeders do, but I waited until the froglets had left the broms completely and started hunting on their own. This took place about 3 days after they first emerged. I located the individual froglets and ushered them into film canisters and transported them to smaller acrylic 'critter keepers' which had been pre-made with a colony of springtails well established.

-Bill J.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:54 PM

Default Jared..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J
I have a question. When you see offspring how do you get them out of the tank? It's hard enough trying to catch a frog that small, let alone a tiny baby.
I have been leaving mine in the tank with the parents. Just throwing in extra food....It seems to be working so far. It takes the babies a while to get comfortable enough to leave the broms and wander in the tank (a week or two). As they continue to get bigger I will consider moving them out of the tank, but so far so good
Old 10-30-2004, 10:53 PM

Default Thats what I do too

That's what I do too.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:21 PM

I don't use many bromeliads and most of my pumilio raise their young in 1oz. condiment cups. I use a cup inside a cup and when I see the front legs come out I just remove the inside cup and place it in the container where the young froglet will be raised. No chasing froglets around disturbing the adults. Just what works for me.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:59 PM

rmelancon,

did you have a foto of these cups, please?
Old 10-31-2004, 01:19 PM

Thorsten,

Here is a link to a few pics that Rob posted:
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/vi...t=3441&start=0
Old 10-31-2004, 04:18 PM

THX