Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/)
-   -   How many tads do pumilio raise? (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/2748-how-many-tads-do-pumilio-raise.html)

geckguy 10-29-2004 07:34 PM

How many tads do pumilio raise?

I am getting some pumilio soon, and I wanted to know how many tads they will raise to froglets, as I have seen a few pictures with 6+ eggs, and that seemed like a large clutch to me.

rmelancon 10-29-2004 07:41 PM

They usually lay many more than they will actually raise, at least in captivity. Don't expect more than a few at a time.

ChrisMc 10-29-2004 08:49 PM

I have had them raise 4 froglets, two about a week apart. The later ones were much smaller. Its been a while since they have done some parental work:(

10-30-2004 02:54 PM

As Rob stated, they will usually lay a few more than they actually raise. You may see a few of the embryo simply not make it to hatching or come out with deformalities. I propose that the larger clutrch sizes is to make up for these 'errors'. I once had a pair of long term captive bri bris that went through 3 clutches before getting it right. The 4th clutch contained 7 eggs but only 4 had survived the internal development and only 3 had made it as neonates. My current almirante pair had laid a clutch of 6 but only 3 made it to the water. All in all, don't expect them all to make it....feeding eggs to a large group is probably very taxing on the females.

-Bill J.

10-30-2004 03:45 PM

I have a question. When you see offspring how do you get them out of the tank? It's hard enough trying to catch a frog that small, let alone a tiny baby. :D

10-30-2004 04:56 PM

Jared,

That is a very good question. I don't know what the rest fo the pumilio breeders do, but I waited until the froglets had left the broms completely and started hunting on their own. This took place about 3 days after they first emerged. I located the individual froglets and ushered them into film canisters and transported them to smaller acrylic 'critter keepers' which had been pre-made with a colony of springtails well established.

-Bill J.

10-30-2004 08:54 PM

Jared..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared J
I have a question. When you see offspring how do you get them out of the tank? It's hard enough trying to catch a frog that small, let alone a tiny baby. :D

I have been leaving mine in the tank with the parents. Just throwing in extra food....It seems to be working so far. It takes the babies a while to get comfortable enough to leave the broms and wander in the tank (a week or two). As they continue to get bigger I will consider moving them out of the tank, but so far so good

EDs Fly Meat 10-30-2004 10:53 PM

Thats what I do too

That's what I do too.

rmelancon 10-31-2004 12:21 PM

I don't use many bromeliads and most of my pumilio raise their young in 1oz. condiment cups. I use a cup inside a cup and when I see the front legs come out I just remove the inside cup and place it in the container where the young froglet will be raised. No chasing froglets around disturbing the adults. Just what works for me.

10-31-2004 12:59 PM

rmelancon,

did you have a foto of these cups, please?

10-31-2004 01:19 PM

Thorsten,

Here is a link to a few pics that Rob posted:
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/vi...t=3441&start=0

10-31-2004 04:18 PM

THX