Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2007, 02:23 PM

Default 1.2 Isla Colon

I have 1.2 Isla Colon Pumilio, all unrelated and was wondering what those with Pumilio experience thought about putting all 3 in a 25 gallon cube together. Right now I have the extra female in a tank by herself which I assume is best for all, but I thought I would submit for suggestions on the above idea.
thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 PM

female heavy trios usually work fine, but not always. I have my Escudos in a 1.2 trio in a 33 cube and they do fine... never any aggression. I have caught egg eating a couple of time and I think that might be your most likely concern, but if you can handle losing a clutch or two here and there you should be good. Another thing to think about is that sometimes you get an overly aggressive female (and there is no way to know this ahead of time) that might attack the other female... results in finding a drowned female one day. There was a huge debate on this in the anecdotal vs fact thread and basically nobody has ever seen it, but it happens. Whether it's one female doing it to another or what, who knows, but most times it doesn't seem to be an issue. Obviously the best option would be to find a second male and make two pairs, but with colons it just not that easy obviously.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 PM

Ahh but yes I have 2 pairs and the extra female....I am very fortunate to have 5 unrelated animals. Guess this would be like putting that Flame Angel in a reef tank, half eat coral and half don't, just make sure you pick one that don't!
Thanks Stace your advice coming from personal experience is always well thought out and welcome.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:28 PM

at the moment I have (dont cringe) 1.2.1 in a 33 cube. The male is confirmed, the unknown is an adult, just unkown sex.

Actually have never heard calling in the 3 months I've had them in there, so I'm still waiting for everyone to settle in and see if I've created a 'problem'.

I am hoping (as is Mark I'm sure) that others who have tried larger groups of pums or trios will chime in. Always good to have a few opinions, especially if someone (unlike Stace) has had a BAD experience.

I do have a bunch of 1.2 trios of Rios/Cristos/Basti all doing fine socially at the moment. Froglets however have only been produced by my pairs for what that is worth.

Shawn
Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 PM

I would suggest that an extra male Fantasticus (2.1 or 2.2) actually inhibits breeding activity with the males being preoccupied with each other more than the fun stuff (I'm sure others have different experiences). I was just wondering if 1.2 Pumilio may do the same thing. Having an obligation to reproduce these animals to offer some genetic diversity to our existing pool may even force me to register these animals.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:33 PM

ah register away!

with frogtracks and with TWI/ASN.

with my 6, I purposely gathered 2 each from 3 sources, but none are WC or early generations. Your group diversity is ideal.

Breed away!

Shawn
Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 PM

Mark, I have exactly the opposite experience with fantasticus. We have a group 2.3. The two males were caught transporting 14 tads in October. The group is currently feeding them and those tadpoles are only the ones we witnessed. I took a couple of clutches of eggs for fear that they were getting carried away and am raising them. No problems with aggression, egg eating or infertility. Just goes to show there are no real rules to this one just has to pay close attention to the frogs. Robert
Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 PM

I think the problems or lack thereof you will face will certainly come down to individual frogs. What I think a lot of people forget about is that frogs are a lot like people in that they have their own personalities, but certain types have particualr traits. Like the idea of fiery latins or stoic Russians, retics have highly aggressive males, tincs it's females. Despite those "traits" there are always groups of retics with more than one male and multiple female azureus that do OK. It's not the norm, but the individual personalities of the frogs somehow make it work. Basically it totally comes down to something just like your flame angel example... get the right personalities together and you're fine... the wrong ones, uh oh. I personally would never hesitate to put together a 1.2 pum trio, but just keep an eye on em, that is unless you want to just slide some of those colons this way!!
Old 12-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Mark,
About half of my pumilio are not kept in pairs. Only one group with 2:1 . The rest being 1:2 or 1:3. No problems at all with no less or more production per female. More production per male being that it should not matter whether the male fertilizes one or four females' clutches. Lots of cover and spots to drop off the kids. One big up side to the extra females is the fact that one female will feed another female's tads . So you'll have that working for you.....

Rich
Old 12-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Actually I was contacted by a reputable breeder that wants the animal so alas i will not find out how they will interact together. Interesting topic though, I think the bbrock philosophy of 100 gallons per pair is great but so many of us just don't have the space and i am envious of those that do.
But after reading Rich's post i may be tempted to forego mailing her out and try her with the other 2.