Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 02:41 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Boldness relative?

I reckon that most people have similar experiences of the reputation for certain species being 'bold' that changes according to age. For example, I have a juvenile pair of azureus in a heavily planted 18 cube Exo-Terra. Lots of leaf litter, large over hanging foliage, abundant hides- but the youngish frogs are still a bit shy (again, a relative term), but aggressive and active hunters. Granted it's only been two weeks since they've placed into the enclosure. None of this behavior surprises me or worries me in the least, given the young age of the frogs....but I wonder if people have had similar experiences i.e boldness increases with age.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2007, 03:59 PM

Boldness has a lot to do with the individual animal and situation... age plays a part in what you're dealing with, froglets are just shier. As adults, you have to take into account if their set up is the most comfortable it can be to make them feel secure and thus bolder (skittish frogs given plenty of places to dash to and feel safe get "bolder"). Also, what the frogs' personal experiences are play a part... as adults I've had zaparo hidden away in a bedroom and they were rarely viewable. Moved into a room where there was a lot more activity, they became much bolder, and eventually only "dashed to safety" when the actual tank lid was opened. They will aslo get bolder once they know your routine... the more they are used to your actions and know when you may mess with them and when you won't (and when you're going to feed them) you'll see differences in behavior, but this can take months.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:00 PM

I dont think you can really judge the 'boldness' of a frog until it has had adequate time to settle down into its new home, at least two or three months. I have noticed all my frogs tend to get bolder with age, especially when they start breeding. Access to plenty of hiding places (ie a densely planted vivarium) also seems to encourage the frogs to spend more time in the open.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
TWI/ASN

Thanks Zach and Corey, your experiences confirm my thoughts on the matter. I can only guess that lots of first time froggers might be expecting 'in your face' boldness from day one, only to see some tentative behavior instead.

Again, I had no reason for alarm or concern- just an observation.

Jason
Old 12-11-2007, 04:29 PM

I can understand, my first frogs were leucs, and I was lucky if I could see one or two out of the 5 every couple of days for the first month. Now, they climb the glass whenever someone walks by the tank. They've been breeding for about a year now, and I see at least 3 or 4 at all times.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:01 PM
TWI/ASN

Incidentally, as I was reading through this thread and considering the responses, both were out in the open-- probably ready to be fed

Goes to show that a densely planted tank with plenty of hides has a big impact on the boldness of the inhabitants.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 PM
TWI/ASN

Hmm. No other responses? I imagine many people had similar experiences?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:11 PM

Having dealt with mostly phyllobates frogs, I can say age does seem to affect their boldness. Even terribilis can be shy when young (there are exceptions, of course.). I have one yellow bicolor who is 7 months old and he almost snatches crickets right of my hand. The little guy may be like that because of the almost constant attention it recieved when it was quarintined. Once they get older, some dart frogs will watch what's going on it the surrounding room when they have nothing better to do.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zBrinks
I dont think you can really judge the 'boldness' of a frog until it has had adequate time to settle down into its new home, at least two or three months. I have noticed all my frogs tend to get bolder with age, especially when they start breeding. Access to plenty of hiding places (ie a densely planted vivarium) also seems to encourage the frogs to spend more time in the open.
I'd agree but extend the settle in period to as much as 6-12 months.

Group dynamics: I have multiple tanks [pairs, trios, groups] of most of my kept species and they 'act' different in many cases. Group behaviors, individual temperments, slight variations in tank set-ups perhaps, but definitely different 'boldness' ect.

Age: also the opposite can be true. Some [I've seen in vent group animals] were much more visible when immature, and since pairing/breeding they have become more reclusive.

...One man's Azureus can behave much different than anothers...

Shawn
Old 12-29-2007, 06:29 PM

I have a pair of D. azureus, they have only been in their enclosure for a week or two and they seem to be very bold. I often will find my frogs hopping around, eating up their flies etc. My frogs particularly like to sit on top of their coconut hut, they rarely are hiding. I have read that the azureus is one of the most bold types of dendro's and I would agree with that because my frogs are out all the time. From my experience I would say that if you want a frog you can watch a D. azureus is a good choice.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:52 PM
TWI/ASN

How old are your azureus, Greg?

The age-related dynamics are quite interesting.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:55 PM

My pair of D. azureus are about four months old.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:33 AM

I've found this thread interesting, and have asked my friend who is a reputable breeder the same question. I have juvenile tincs and azureus and all are pretty shy. I was concerned b/c I thought both were labeled as bold frogs. He said that younger frogs are shyer and they would get bolder as they get older and more accustomed to their tanks. So, I'm just waiting.

And when they do hop around it's about 1000 times more exciting b/c I finally get to see them! :roll:

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."
-Lao Tzu
Old 12-31-2007, 12:25 AM

It really is fun to watch my frogs hopping about, but I think the best time to watch them is while they are eating. I get a big kick when I see my frog get close to a fly and almost instantaneously snap it up then move on to the next fly. I would say that fly didn't have a prayer. My azureus are only about four months old so it makes me happy when I can see that they are zelously pursuing their food and eating it up. My female frog in particular seems to enjoy eating, when I pour the flies in her enclosure she sucks them up like a little vaccuum cleaner.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:23 AM

Well justadding my 2 cents. I have 2 D. auratus that are about 4 months, and when I got them i expected to NEVER see them because I read how shy they were. But I can see atleast one of them all the time. In fact one, is almost constantly up on the back of the tank on the glass or sitting on the background just hanging out. I just thought it was interesting because I really think alot of the boldness is the individual frog in it's specific situation.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:34 AM

The fact on how bold or shy a frog is may have a little to do with the particular species/morph of frog but I would think that it also has just as much to do with a specific frogs enviorment. That being the type of enclosure that frog is kept in the way they are raised how familiar they are with their surroundings and other things like if they are kept in community tanks or kept alone.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:39 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
I would think that it also has just as much to do with a specific frogs enviorment
Absolutely.