Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2007, 01:57 PM

Default Beginner Viv Questions

hi, this is my first post on this site and i am hoping to make somewhat of a hobby of breeding/caring for darts. i just have a few questions before i dive in. i have an old aquarium that is 19"x10"x12" (about 10 gallons, i believe). is this too small to eventually have a pair or so of darts? the plants i have been researching to use are Bulbophyllum vaginatum, Creeping Fig, Peperomia rubella, Java Moss, Lilaeopsis, Anthurium clarinevium, Butterwort (i have always been intrigued by carnivorous plants), and some type of fern. the species of frogs that i have been looking at are the D. azureus, D. tinctorius, and D. tinctorius 'Citronella', however i have not decided which species i would like. i planned on making my own background out of cypress and great stuff, attaching epiphytic plants onto the cypress. thanks for any input that is given!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2007, 02:58 PM

Welcome to the board!

Honestly, I think you would be much better starting off with a 20H or maybe even a 29g. A ten gallon is pretty small for even 2 frogs, plus, with what you want to do to it, itll be way overcrowded with plants. If cost is an issue, check out garage sales or craigslist.com.

If you are planning on using java moss as a ground cover, strongly consider having at least 1/2 of the viv floor be covered in leaf litter. It provides places to hide, as well as allows a level of microfauna (ie springtails, isopods) to exist uneaten and breed in the viv, providing a good source of food.

Id exclude the Bulbophyllum, as orchids can be difficult to grow in vivs. If you need an orchid, stick to jewel orchids, they are nearly bulletproof. Anthurium clarinevium looks like it gets a decent size, so plan to prune it, or maybe consider some smaller aroids, such as alocasia 'black velvet' - Ive had good luck with this variety. Butterwort would just get trampled in a frog tank, but considering what species it is, you may be able to keep it outside the tank, as a way to catch wayword flies.

Any of the frogs you like would be great for beginners. GS backgrounds are great, just remember to wear gloves, that stuff is nasty!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:23 PM

Welcome to a new hobby which you will truly enjoy. I am new to it all and have found Dendroboard to be a valuable resource. Any question you can think of is already posted and answered here. Use the search feature and the different settings to narrow your search. You will find so much information to all your questions....which will lead to new questions. Read all the stickeys at the top of each subject area....these usually cover the basics. Also I feel that Patrick Nabors at Saurianhttp://www.saurian.net/ has lots of great information on his site and experience to back it up.

Have fun....enjoy your new time sink!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:43 PM

thanks for the quick imput. the only reason i am using the 10g tank is because it was laying around the house and as a college student, i dont have a ton of extra cash to use. but ill give craigslist a look. thanks for the advice!