Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 02:15 AM

Default Do Brazil Nut Poison Frogs Live Up To Their Name?

Very strange question, but....Has anyone ever tried using the shells of Brazil nuts in their vivs? :?

Like as a place to raise tads...(for casti's, quinqe's, etc I know this is probably a stupid question and there are SOOO many easier ways to get tads out of a viv, but you could switch out the tad-filled shells for new ones every-so-often and just keep recycling them over and over...They are also more aesthetically pleasing then film canisters.
So has anyone ever done it?

Hey if you think I'm crazy then I've got excuses: it's late, I'm tired, and I was eating Brazil nuts today. :lol:

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2007, 04:37 AM

I dont think it would be a bad idea. If you dont mind messing around with the pods and they definetaly do look alot nicer then canisters.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:36 AM

If I remember right the problem with them is that they tend to mold very easily in the viv. Wouldn't seem like a problem and most would just say throw in some springs and problem solved, but think about how poor the water quality would quickly become if the shell started molding. Much easier to stick with our nonmolding plastic (although I have had a few film cans develop mold on the surface, so now what??:roll: )

Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Re: Do Brazil Nut Poison Frogs Live Up To Their Name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoleo2
Very strange question, but....Has anyone ever tried using the shells of Brazil nuts in their vivs? :?

Like as a place to raise tads...(for casti's, quinqe's, etc I know this is probably a stupid question and there are SOOO many easier ways to get tads out of a viv, but you could switch out the tad-filled shells for new ones every-so-often and just keep recycling them over and over...They are also more aesthetically pleasing then film canisters.
So has anyone ever done it?

Hey if you think I'm crazy then I've got excuses: it's late, I'm tired, and I was eating Brazil nuts today. :lol:

Thanks.
Yep you're Totaly crazy, whacko. Then again it's one o' clock and I'm the one still here.

A few years back I got some actual pods (not the seed shell) of brazil nuts, called something like buddom nut pods. They looked nice as hut, even have a natural door way at the stem end. They would only hold water for a short time, only usable (as a tad depo) with some leaves and a mister to refill it at least every couple hours. They molded very badly and are somewhat soft.

As for the actual seed shell, never considered it myself, but I would expect it mold relatively quickly. I don't think they would excrete any possible toxins besides what the mold might bring. Test to see how they mold first before using them. A coconut husk would work better and serve the same purpose, the husk (green soft outer covering) not the shell. Shells typically don't hold water well for long Shouldn't mold either, but won't last forever. A lot bigger but.....

-Who knows
Old 02-28-2007, 03:27 PM

Hmmm the mold...yeah that is something I forgot about. They probably would mold over very badly. IDK I'll try it my next viv before I put frogs in.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2007, 09:10 PM

Are you talking about dendro pods? I have had some in a a viv for alomst a year and so far, they only sprouted mold the first week before any animals lived there. You just rinse it off, dry the pods, and put them back. Maybe the nutshells will work the same way.

Or you could put silicone on the back of shell and bury the coated part.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 PM

No, I'm talking about the Brazil nuts that you can eat. Or at least the shells of them.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoleo2
No, I'm talking about the Brazil nuts that you can eat. Or at least the shells of them.
Sorry about that, someone mentioned the pods of brazil nuts. The silicone trick may work, but where would you find the shells?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:38 PM

OK, I think we are thinking of different things... :lol:

You can buy Brazil nuts (at least that is what the package says). At like Stop & Shop and stuff. You know, the nuts you break open with a nut cracker...you would just have to be really careful and leave like half the shell intact. They might be too small to put tads in anyways...
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 AM

You can purchase Brazil nut pods (not the shells) from Black Jungle. The Brazil nuts are clustered in a larger pod, which looks very much like a small coconut shell that splits in two for the individual nuts to fall out of. The frogs utilize these pods, not the nut shells. I have had three of these half-pods in a tank for three years and they're still in one piece, although my casti's have never bred, so of course haven't utilized them for depositing tadpoles. The pods are now covered with moss, but haven't deteriorated much over time. Unless they are constantly splashed by the water falls, the water tends to wick out of them rather quickly. I imagine on the forest floor, the water is constantly replenished during the tadpole season, much as it is in bromeliad axils where many thumbnails deposit their tads.

Nearly any wood will harbor molds and fungi to a certain extent, and most fungi are harmless and just a part of the biological system. I don't see that this would be a problem.

Advice is like kissing: it costs nothing and it's a pleasant thing to do. (George Bernard Shaw)
Old 03-01-2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaytonp
The frogs utilize these pods, not the nut shells.
Oh ok, I did not know this. Because in all the books I have it says that they use Brazil nuts, so I figured they used the actual shells of Brazil nuts... :roll: Jeez I need to get my facts straight!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:18 AM

I've never heard of using them as depo site either. In the wild the right turned are for egg laying huts and the wrong turned ones are usually completely ignored.

Patty,

I know what pods you're talking about (dendro pods right?). The are not from Brazil nuts but from some African nut. At least according to Richard. The Buddom nut pods BJ used to sell but no longer does and hasn't for years. You'd think those would be easier to obtain. The buddom pods are a lot different almost leaf (heart shaped looking and fiberous, thin and flexible. Those rot very quickly but supposedly the same pods they use in the wild, which would be continually replenished.

-Who knows
Old 03-01-2007, 08:25 AM

Yeah the pods that patty is talking about look nice in tanks. And like someone was saying you can silicone the inside of the pod so water leak out. Here are a couple pics I took in peru of very similar pods. They might even be the same ones being sold if not very very very close.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:40 PM

Yeah, I have both the Jungle pods and the Dendro pods. The Dendro pods work well for hiding in and the Jungle pods are like pools.

I'm gonna have to try the silicone thing....