Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Common recirc water feature for 4 vivs?

Kinda curious about the thought of using recirculating water features with a common sump and pump? I'm changing my thoughts of building a rack with 6 20H or 29 gal. vivs and going with 4- 33 gal (18x18x24)'s with bulkhead/drains. I plan on covering the drain holes with a 3" PVC pipe cap with several holes drilled and surrounded with LECA

A common sump and pump with an overflow would work if I used a UV sterilizer or put in well quarantined frogs. The overflow would be for fogger and mister elements. I already use a recirculating system on some of my aquariums. A prefilter and filtering in the sump should help keep the bioload down. The area where I plan on putting the rack has aquariums that are 63F so I could also use a heater in the sump to help keep the temps from getting too cold when the lights are off.

From what I have read on these forums, it seems that a lot of folks have discontinued using or haven't been too happy with their in/viv pumps over the course of time.

As always, comments and other ideas are always appreciated.

Wimpy

(Didn't see the post on the beginner forum about sump/pumps before posting this). Oh well
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 05:48 PM

i should work but the only thing i would be worried about is if one frog gets sick than all tanks will be affected since the are all linked together through the water feature.
0.0.2 Patricias, 0.0.4 Leucs, 0.0.2 Azures, 0.0.2 Campana Auratus, 1.1 Cobalts (proven), 0.0.3 Green and Bronze Auratus, 0.0.4 Blue and Black Auratus, 0.0.3 Orange Vittatus, 0.0.2 Reginas, 0.0.2 Powder Blues.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:11 PM

The UV sterilizer will help to protect against the above scenario, but only if you use the proper flow and keep the lens clean. When you say quarantining frogs, do you mean having multiple fecals done on each frog? This gets expensive and is something to think about. You should also consider the kind of vivs you are going to build. Fancy vivs with backgrounds are a lot of work. Id hate to have a frog get sick in the type of setup that you are talking about and then have to replace all the tanks.

Instead of keeping more species, why not do more with the species you keep?

Old 02-19-2007, 06:58 PM
TWI/ASN

I have to echo what the last two have said. The only huge worry that I would have is the cross contamination issue. There are ways that you can over come this, such as like Chris said UV sterilization. I know a lot of hydroponics greenhouses use things such as that, or super heating their water before re-circulation, or putting it through an RO system before recirculation as they have similiar problems with once one plant get a fungus, they all do unless it has been sterilized. As you can imagine, these systems are almost cost prohibitive unless you are either A: independantly wealthy or B: have a large scale operation that offsets these costs. I know there are small system (obviously you are not going to have a greenhouse size room of vivs) but they are still very expensive.
http://www.cetsolar.com/uv24pgm.htm
http://www.ublcorp.com/titaniumuvsterilizer14w.html
http://www.aquascience.net/uv.htm
As you can see from these, they aren't exactly cheap but doable if you want the investment.

I think that in the long run if you are set with having all your tank having water features I would just have seperate, internal systems for each. Just my 2cents.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away - and barefoot"

Join the Amphibian Steward Network
Old 02-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Have you thought about designing air driven water features? Its easier to change an airstone than a pump.

Instead of keeping more species, why not do more with the species you keep?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:45 PM

Thanks for the responses. This rack would be a display rack and I wanted to kind of trick it out. I like to muck about with the mechanical aspects of things as well as the husbandry of the animals. Using a recirculating system on my fish tanks has tremendously cut down on maintainence and increased the amount of time to do other things that improve the quality of the animals I keep. I have thought about using air stones ( I have air to spare) in tubes running up the back but it would just be pumping up the old unfiltered water. Lots of nutrients for algae and maybe moss but...

Wimpy