Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 01:42 PM

Default More computer fan questions...

I was thinking about putting a computer fan in my imitator verts - a 10 vert and a 20H vert. I have read a lot about them - my main goal is to keep the front glass defogged, but it seems they may also help the plants by getting rid of the stagnant conditions. I have a couple really small ones (40 or 50mm) that I would probably use - I'd try to get them going as slow as I can.

It's really dry here in the winter, so I don't want to drill an air inlet. I would probably just wrap them in screen and secure them to the top of the viv so that they just circulate the humid air - that way the humidity stays up there.

Do people who do this type of thing leave them on all day, or in intervals? My imis have been courting, would small computer fans provide too much air velocity for them? Would the noise effect them at all?

Mike - feel free to chime in
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 03:33 PM

A good way to house the fans is to mount them inside a short lenth of PVC pipe and cover the ends with cross-stitch mesh or similar. You will probably have to grind the corners of the fan a little to get them to fit in the round pipe, but it is easy to get a snug fit and then secure with a dab of sealant or glue at each corner.

You can run the fans either all the time or just during the day. It is probably a little better having them always on but most of mine are hooked to the same timer that runs the lights just to save a little energy.

They do make some noise at full speed. I don't know if the frogs mind but it bugs the s*&t out of me. So I slow the fans down either using a speed control or a multiple voltage transformer that can be stepped down to get a reasonably quiet speed.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:24 PM
TWI/ASN

Do you use the same transformer for all the fans or 1 per fan?

Old 12-15-2006, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc
Do you use the same transformer for all the fans or 1 per fan?
If I can, I hook as many fans up to a single transformer as is practical. You just have to make sure the transformer is rated to handle the combined load of all the fans.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Re: More computer fan questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFrogMan
I was thinking about putting a computer fan in my imitator verts - a 10 vert and a 20H vert. I have read a lot about them - my main goal is to keep the front glass defogged, but it seems they may also help the plants by getting rid of the stagnant conditions. I have a couple really small ones (40 or 50mm) that I would probably use - I'd try to get them going as slow as I can.

It's really dry here in the winter, so I don't want to drill an air inlet. I would probably just wrap them in screen and secure them to the top of the viv so that they just circulate the humid air - that way the humidity stays up there.

Do people who do this type of thing leave them on all day, or in intervals? My imis have been courting, would small computer fans provide too much air velocity for them? Would the noise effect them at all?

Mike - feel free to chime in
I had them on all day, but turn them off at night, it will get noisy and cold in there
Old 12-15-2006, 06:30 PM

Run them however you like while still meeting the needs of the frogs. Brent hit all of the high spots, so there's not much else to add.

Be absolutely sure that the power supply you choose can supply th enevessary current at the voltage your fans run at. If you are going to use multipule fans, it is best to wire them in parallel.