Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2006, 02:11 AM

Default Rio Branco

OK, I realize that there has been a lot of speculation and guessing that the Spring 06 pum shipments were female heavy (and that may indeed be the case) but I wanted to share my experience.

While the jury is still out on my 3 Red Cristos (which 'look' female, for what that is worth).....my 3 Rio Brancos (also 'look female) just laid 10 eggs ! Now none appear fertile, and I still have NEVER heard calling, it stands to reason that there is at least one male in that tank anyways....or I have a female who just couldn't wait. :wink: Sure a fertile egg or 2 or perhaps a nice serenade would clinch it...but I'll wait.

Best of luck to all of you with tanks of quiet pumilio :wink:

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2006, 03:44 AM

We have had females lay clutches with no males present. However, I hope you do have a pair. On a side note, we were convinced we had 3 female rios and now the male finally decided to sing (took the little guy a long time) and now we have some tads ( Some of the new pumilio seem a little shy to get started or very aggressive at breeding with little in between.

Good luck!

Mike
Old 08-14-2006, 05:32 AM

Default Pums

Scott
Just thought I would toss in my 2 cents.. Some of the new Pumilio morphs also are very, very quite..a person almost has to be directly over the tanks to hear them calling.. My Bri-bri can be heard from the other room, man creek almost as loud, cristabols fairly quite but can be heard from a few feet away, the Rios I can see the male calling but have to be very close to hear him call..
Either way best of luck with the eggs... Dan

Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 PM

I will add to this, my rio male took a month+ to finally start calling, but now he sings me to sleep! He is loud enough to hear over my tv, but we are in the same room. Once they get going, they don't stop!!

I've heard one of my others, but only once, so I'm not quite sure how they will be once I introduce females.