Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 11:41 PM

Default Thoughts on minimum size requirements

I know discussions about minimum enclosure sizes have gone on before, but I just received the Dendrobatidae set by Siefgried Christmann today in the mail, and I thought a bit of what he says about this was worth sharing:

"Precise statements should be avoided: expressions, such as 'minimum size' (for containers), and 'minimum requirements' (for animals) - this is not enough for living creatures. At the time of the 'great and glorious' USSR, a Russian had a legal right to 9 sq. m living space. With plenty of experience, one could also keep a couple of E. tricolor in a cube with sides 30 cm long and - I feel sure I could do it - even 'persuade' them to breed. But who would want to be a Russian there, or a frog in such a container?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 01:58 AM

I like leg room so I give it to my frogs as well. Nice analogy, thanks for sharing.

"This hobby is about 10% what you know, and 90% experimentation." - Lon Heim (DartMan)
Old 05-09-2006, 05:46 PM

Thanked 2,728 Times in 1,791 Posts

snip "Precise statements should be avoided: expressions, such as 'minimum size' (for containers), and 'minimum requirements' (for animals) - this is not enough for living creatures. At the time of the 'great and glorious' USSR, a Russian had a legal right to 9 sq. m living space. With plenty of experience, one could also keep a couple of E. tricolor in a cube with sides 30 cm long and - I feel sure I could do it - even 'persuade' them to breed. But who would want to be a Russian there, or a frog in such a container?""

In the early 1990s I did breed tricolor in enclosures of about that size. The first part is a good statement and would have continued to be a nice statement if the anthropomorphisms were left out.

Minimal and maximal size requirements do not help as most enclosures have less usable space as the enclosure gets bigger. The argument that by providing plants and drip walls provides more space is true but the amount of space provided doesn't increase at the same rate as the loss of usable area.
In addition, many of the frogs do not come from areas of heavy plant growth that makes the enclosures so attractive to us and are more usually found in the leaf litter....

Ed

Old 05-16-2006, 07:47 AM

Ed, I also generally feel that if an enclosure is "too small," particularly with these anurans that climate stability is a problem vs. a large enclosure.

I actually cover up my little critter keeper with the tricolor froglets at night in case any drafts or temp swings occur.