Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Consensus on nematodes (white worms)

What is the consensus on whether or not nematodes, the thin small white worms that are often found around bad eggs, will eat good eggs?? I found some in my lamasi tank around an egg that went bad...the other one is developing! I guess that calls for a whooooo hoooooooooo!

I tried to wash them off as best I could while not harming the good egg...but some were hard-headed and I can't get them off yet. I'll try again tonight...I don't want to spray too hard.

Thanks,

Kristen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2006, 07:38 PM

Well, first off congrats on the good egg!
I had a post a while back (when I first started getting imi eggs) about that...never really did figure out if it is cause or effect...(nematodes killing the eggs, or just being attracted to the bad ones)
The only sure thing I've noticed, is if you leave the eggs in the viv, and they go bad, they will be covered in nematodes...
Anyone else?
Old 03-28-2006, 07:39 PM

Hi Kristen,
I think you're going to get a mixed bunch of results from everyone. The reason, IMHO is that our description "Nematodes" describes some estimated 2.5 million species. Of course, we can bring that number down significantly when we document where we got our soil and compare w/ those species that can survive these temps/humidities, etc. but I think that there are quite a few species that are 'in the hobby' right now (some bad, some good) and so it'll be a confusing answer...
Anyway, I'd say that most of the ones we find in the terrarium are not these killer worms that attack eggs on sight but rather ones that are consuming eggs that otherwise went bad. Heck, they could even be eating the bacteria who are eating the egg that otherwise went bad. It's tough to say. We've raised a lot of tadpoles from eggs covered w/ worms and not had any problems in the past, so I guess what I'm saying is that the species that live in my terrariums are OK...annelids, however, are a completely different story! I've observed under a dissecting scope an annelid attack and consume a perfectly healthy egg...
I hope this helps more than it confuses,
B