Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2004, 11:16 PM

Default bloodlines and breeding

With all this talk about in-breeding and mixing species, I was wondering about the number of bloodlines that exist within the poison dart frog world. For example with azureus, it is no longer legal to import; therefore, we have a finite number of bloodlines in the US. Is it OK to breed two frogs which share similar lines? How many blood lines actually exist within the US. Are all of the frogs that we have descended from only a select few?

Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 01:01 AM

I cannot vouch for the number or different blodlines in the US. However, it is safe to inbreed siblings up to around 9 generations (F2-F10) with no noticeable problems. But yes, there may come a time when most frogs in the hobby are somewhat related to each other. Sort of like British Royalty. :wink:
Old 02-23-2004, 01:43 AM

I have no problems breeding sister and brother together, but would rather breed cousins. Most frogs in the wild are limited to who the have to breed with. They can only go so far and they have a good chance at breeding with a frog close to the family tree. As Matt said you have nothing to worry until you start getting to F9-F10, so you have a while.

Benjamin

Old 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM

Default Bloodlines

Hello all. Bloodlines can be deceiving anyway. Some people may have one bloodline and one that they think is from another person, but in fact they have actually gotten the same line with somoen else's name attached.

Even after 9 generations genes may remain stable. What one is trying to stay away from is combinations of reccessive traits, which most people assume are deleterious. However, bloodlines can remain stable even into the 12+ generations. I don't reccomend doing so though- it's a gamble.

Brother and sister I would do since they can share anywhere between 0-100 percent of their genes (although the average is 50%). Cousins are even better because they share 25% of the genes. Parent to sibling I would not do just because I know they share 50%.

I really worry sometimes about the azureus is this country because the number of bloodlines is unknown. Most stem from the Baltimore Aquarium and a few private breeders. Whether or not the private breeders got their from another source besides the aquarium is questionable.

Justin