Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Frognet Feed > Frogroom
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Not this time

My attempt at breeding Neurergus kaiseri again this year has failed. One difference from previous years was that I overwintered them at a slightly higher temperature, only going down to 10C, whereas in previous years they were exposed to temperatures close to 0C. While I'm not convinced that they need to be that cold, it seems that lower temperatures may promote ovulation, since both animals entered the water readily and the male displayed courting behavior, but no eggs were forthcoming.

Fortunately, I have just head of another successful UK spawning of this species. Interestingly, these animals were exposed to temperatures as low as 2C, which agrees with my theory. In this case however, running water was not used, so maybe temperatures are more important. That makes it approximately 50:50 in the spawnings I have heard about with regard to running water.

My adults are now back in terrestrial accommodation, and of course, I'll try again next year.

More...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2009, 04:03 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Not this time

Awesome.

Those are colourful newts. Are they all CB? I see so many for sale on Kingsnake ect lately.

I so want to get into Caudates but I'm afraid they will need a seperate room for lower temps than a PDF room....especially after reading post like yours with those low low temps!

Thanks for posting and nice website!