Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Food & Feeding (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/)
-   -   dwarf white iso freeze out (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/food-feeding/63862-dwarf-white-iso-freeze-out.html)

tim13 02-10-2011 12:05 AM

dwarf white iso freeze out

Im the idiot that ordered a culture this time of year... when it arrived heat pack and culture were very cold. I found no living isos. Any chance eggs survived or is it trash?

Philsuma 02-10-2011 12:16 AM

Re: dwarf white iso freeze out

Quote:

Originally Posted by tim13 (Post 557218)
Im the idiot that ordered a culture this time of year... when it arrived heat pack and culture were very cold. I found no living isos. Any chance eggs survived or is it trash?

Yeah...keep it at room temp and ya never know....it could produce Iso's in a month or so.

Whatya got to lose?

Mitch 02-10-2011 12:16 AM

Just keep it, you never know... how cold was it? Like literally frozen?

tim13 02-10-2011 12:20 AM

Not frozen per se. Definitely cold to touch. I hope those eggs are tough.

Enlightened Rogue 02-10-2011 12:22 AM

I recieved a culture this summer when it was about 90 from a well known sponser.
When I opened it all I saw was charcoal, maybe 3-4 springs.
It was booming in about 2 days.

John

tim13 02-10-2011 12:44 AM

I'll hold on to it just in case. I will update this thread in future so everyone may learn the cold tolerances of the species for future reference. Good experiment I guess.

edwardsatc 02-10-2011 12:44 AM

Isopods eggs are carried, develop, and hatch in the marsupium, not on the substrate. So the likelihood of eggs developing in the decomposing parent is unlikely.
That said, it canít hurt to hold on to the culture for awhile and see if anything develops.

tim13 03-01-2011 10:43 AM

Just to update, its been 24 days since I received the culture, and still no sign of life. Culture has been kept on top of my light fixture at about 75 degrees. I would say that once the parents die, the eggs are doomed, or, the cold also effects the eggs.

frogparty 03-01-2011 04:33 PM

bummer. dwarf whites can't take cold well at all. there are other species that do much better.dwarf temperate isos for example. Contact member Michael Schrom and see what hes got.

varanoid 03-02-2011 01:30 AM

Sorry to hear your culture died. Thanks for sharing the results though. I was wondering what had happened to it. Something to think about when I order some for myself.