No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Kmc
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2020, 02:56 AM

Default Flies in terranium

Hello! I recently set up a terrarium for a poison dart frog for my son. We are 2 weeks in. I read that if you put a piece of banana in the tank the fruit flys will be attracted to the banana and make it easier for the dart frog to find to eat. So I put a piece of banana in. I have fed the frog a total of 3 times in total about 45 flies. These past few days the flies have exploded. There are so many flies in the tank they ate the banana. I have seen the frog eating so i know he must be eating. I have stopped adding flies because there are so many. Are these things breeding in the terrarium? If so what should I do? (I did take the rest of the banana slice out)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2020, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Flies in terranium

Obtain an opaque Qt beverage carton, OJ, Milk, either one. Empy it dont bother rinsing. Smash up some banana and put it in the carton.

Put it in the frogs environment where the frog can not climb on something and fall in. Also make sure it is stable and wont tip. Also make sure the frog cant get trapped under it.

It will collect a number of flies hanging out to party in a couple days that hopefully will dent the populace.

Dont leave fruit in to ferment anymore if that is indeed what is happening.

Feeding is Fun, and sometimes small children mean well totally but there are some things to interesting to resist.

When I was little i put my white communion gloves on to closer examine my goldfish. I guess they looked 'clinical'. That didnt turn out well, either.

You dont need to put fruit in. Its done sometimes for special purposes, but not just a routine thing. You really have to keep an eye out on the frogs little world.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:36 PM
Mod

Default Re: Flies in terranium

Good advice from Kmc. I would add two points:

1. Only feed as much as the frog will eat that day. If there are FFs left the next morning, you have fed too many FFs and should feed less the next time. Too many FFs can stress the frog. I feed younger frogs that are still growing every day or every other day. I feed adult frogs every third day or so.

2. Make sure you are dusting the FFs at every feeding with a quality supplement -- Repashy Calcium Plus is a good choice.
Frogmanjared likes this.

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
Kmc (08-09-2020)