Ff cultures - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Food & Feeding
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Xue
  • 1 Post By Broseph
  • 2 Post By Philsuma
  • 1 Post By Broseph
  • 2 Post By Socratic Monologue

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 12:39 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ff cultures

So im having some trouble. I have only successfully made one culture. I make them and they go to little worms...then all die... the other one went to flies...but then they all died. The worm one smells like rotten flesh. The other one smells of ammonia. Any ideas? Pics below.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 12:40 AM
fishingguy12345's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 853
Thanks: 67
Thanked 54 Times in 54 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

What media are you using?
What temperature have they been kept at?
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 12:41 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Joshs frogs

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 05:33 PM
Xue Xue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Check your ventilation. The last couple months I've gone crazy experimenting and I notice when the "worms" go high like that it's because of a lack of good ventilation for them breathe, thus they go high to get air. Normally they'd stay somewhere in the middle.

You can experiment with different numbers of holes or size on top to see for yourself. You can even use coffee filter as a lid and see if it makes a difference in your case. The smell is also probably from poor ventilation. For me anyways, it's almost 100% because of ventilation.

If you are new to this I'd also recommend the coffee filters instead of excelsior. They will climb and attach to that better, or, I find it a better surface for them than the walls of the cup. When you use filter they'll go on it and you'll see a minimal amount on the walls. Just from mental comparison I see more consistent results with filters.
bighollywood likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Broseph's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 419
Thanks: 24
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Yeah, those cultures look too wet to me. Which is usually due to poor ventilation. Especially if you’re mixing Josh’s media according to the package directions- which calls for a fairly dry mix IMO.

Are you following the package directions? What kind of lids are you using? Where do you keep the cultures (cabinet vs open space)?
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 07:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Yes following directions... lids they came with...tiny holes all over the lid... they are out in the open

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 08:01 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

So i cut the lid...used coffee filter as a vent. Should this help? This is the last culture i got...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 08:08 PM
Pumilo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 10,360
Thanks: 840
Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,339 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Doing up culture lids old school! I love it. Coffee filter lids were the norm back in the early 90's. At least around Colorado.
__________________
Doug aka Pumilo
The second "i" is silent. It's so silent it's not even there!
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 08:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

I just need them to survive.. lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 10:51 PM
Tinc Tank's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

I use the 90 mm filter discs used for culturing mushrooms from Fungi Perfecti. The discs are used with wide mouth mason jars and the metal ring that comes with them. They seem to cut down the smell a lot. Kept in a living space, I never smell old cultures that are 6 or 8 weeks old even! They also keep out mold that is naturally floating in the air which also is a contributor to rank fruit fly cultures.

More details about them can be found in this thread:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/fo...how-where.html
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 10:53 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

So i could use air conditioner filters as the filter material for the lid?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 11:24 PM
Philsuma's Avatar
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 6,406
Thanks: 383
Thanked 296 Times in 199 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

everyone makes it harder than it ever should be.

Use the correct tool for the job.

These cups and lids are frickin' cheap.

Buy these and reuse them for 18 years, or 16.9 years longer than most people stay in the hobby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fruitflycx.jpg (6.7 KB, 16 views)
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a bannana
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 11:35 PM
Tinc Tank's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Ohio, US
Posts: 51
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighollywood View Post
So i could use air conditioner filters as the filter material for the lid?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don't know. I don't think anyone has ever tried those. It depends on the airflow. You don't want to suffocate them, that would lead the culture to become anaerobic which smells like raw sewage.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 11:47 PM
Broseph's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 419
Thanks: 24
Thanked 35 Times in 34 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
everyone makes it harder than it ever should be.

Use the correct tool for the job.

These cups and lids are frickin' cheap.

Buy these and reuse them for 18 years, or 16.9 years longer than most people stay in the hobby.
These are the lids I prefer as well. I think a few years ago there was even a shortage of the good lids? I remember people trying to use the ones with the tiny holes and had wet cultures where the larvae would pupate all over the lid, trying to get fresh air, all the while blocking off the air for the entire culture.

Sad times.
Philsuma likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 11:49 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philsuma View Post
everyone makes it harder than it ever should be.

Use the correct tool for the job.

These cups and lids are frickin' cheap.

Buy these and reuse them for 18 years, or 16.9 years longer than most people stay in the hobby.
I ordered the kit... now i know i should have gotten different containers

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2020, 11:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
These are the lids I prefer as well. I think a few years ago there was even a shortage of the good lids? I remember people trying to use the ones with the tiny holes and had wet cultures where the larvae would pupate all over the lid, trying to get fresh air, all the while blocking off the air for the entire culture.



Sad times.
I think this is happening to me... they covered the lid

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2020, 01:06 AM
Philsuma's Avatar
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 6,406
Thanks: 383
Thanked 296 Times in 199 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Josh's still sells the horrible tiny hole lids I think.

Man, if they do...what a disservice to the hobby.
__________________
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a bannana
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2020, 01:33 AM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 1,888
Thanks: 85
Thanked 239 Times in 222 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Here is what you want -- buy 20 for ten bucks and you're set for life:

https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/...p-and-lid.html
Philsuma and bighollywood like this.
__________________
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd.

- Whitman
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2020, 02:29 AM
Moxie's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Orange, TX
Posts: 63
Thanks: 14
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Here is what you want -- buy 20 for ten bucks and you're set for life:

https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/...p-and-lid.html
These cups are the best to use and they last a lifetime.

I am wondering though if you have frogs already? I didn't see if you did or not. If so, are you at least culturing enough flies for them until you get it all sorted out? I know that can be stressful.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2020, 05:46 AM
Xue Xue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighollywood View Post
So i cut the lid...used coffee filter as a vent. Should this help? This is the last culture i got...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Normally those vented lids are fine in cooler weather. During the warmer months it gets harder for them to breathe because of heat and condensation so a more open vent would work better. Your modification should work, and, the old lids could till work if you move the culture to a cooler location.

I also find that every culture acts differently too for whatever reason, however, the well vented lids always produce for me.

Your second pic from the original post looks like an old dead culture instead of one that went to flies and just "died". If you don't already know, fruit fly cultures have an average life span of just over a month before they start to die out. If you've had that culture for that long then it just means the culture died naturally instead of some other factor.

If the culture did die off naturally, you'd just have to breed one new culture per week to keep them going.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2020, 04:13 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xue View Post
Normally those vented lids are fine in cooler weather. During the warmer months it gets harder for them to breathe because of heat and condensation so a more open vent would work better. Your modification should work, and, the old lids could till work if you move the culture to a cooler location.



I also find that every culture acts differently too for whatever reason, however, the well vented lids always produce for me.



Your second pic from the original post looks like an old dead culture instead of one that went to flies and just "died". If you don't already know, fruit fly cultures have an average life span of just over a month before they start to die out. If you've had that culture for that long then it just means the culture died naturally instead of some other factor.



If the culture did die off naturally, you'd just have to breed one new culture per week to keep them going.
Both of these cultures were young...3 days apart i believe. The "dead one" made flies then suddenly died. I will say the flies were really small this time. The other thing i noticed with the larvae one that died...it was slow to start and had some mold but then burst into larvae everywhere... then they died.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2020, 04:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
These cups are the best to use and they last a lifetime.

I am wondering though if you have frogs already? I didn't see if you did or not. If so, are you at least culturing enough flies for them until you get it all sorted out? I know that can be stressful.
I dont have frogs yet. I want to get the ff culturing process down first. I have some smaller geckos and some fish tanks that i feed the flies too atm.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 06-08-2020, 05:11 PM
Xue Xue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighollywood View Post
Both of these cultures were young...3 days apart i believe. The "dead one" made flies then suddenly died. I will say the flies were really small this time. The other thing i noticed with the larvae one that died...it was slow to start and had some mold but then burst into larvae everywhere... then they died.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
The dead one looks really old like a spent culture and the other one looks like a 2 week old one that should be booming, so if they're only a few days apart I would say the internal temperatures were different too. Temperature affects their development.

Your new vent should solve the problem. Once you get it down these things can't be killed easily.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2020, 12:35 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xue View Post
The dead one looks really old like a spent culture and the other one looks like a 2 week old one that should be booming, so if they're only a few days apart I would say the internal temperatures were different too. Temperature affects their development.



Your new vent should solve the problem. Once you get it down these things can't be killed easily.
Yeah i hope it helps... funny thing... they are sitting by each other...and they both did really different things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 06-09-2020, 02:16 AM
Xue Xue is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 43
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighollywood View Post
Yeah i hope it helps... funny thing... they are sitting by each other...and they both did really different things.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes, they will act differently. It's because things are happening internally that we don't know about.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2020, 03:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Ff cultures

Well the coffee filter seems to be working. I have flies. Hope to have enough to make a new culture tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.