Originally Posted by fishingguy12345
Baking wouldn't necessarily get rid of any pesticides.
Give that man a cigar!
Unless the tree in question was a fruit or nut tree, intended to be harvested for human consumption, any sprays would be systemic. Think about it. It's really hard to completely coat every leaf on a tree with an organic spray. It's also expensive. But systemics? They don't need complete coverage. They enter the vascular system of the tree, or the "bloodstream", so to speak. This carries the toxin to every single cell in the entire tree, and it's all internal.
You cannot wash off systemics. Those may not be safe even after they have fully decomposed to soil.
You need a tree that has not been sprayed with anything for at least 6 months before the leaves died. i.e. If the tree was sprayed 6 months ago, but the leaves turned from green to brown only 3 months ago, those are crispy little poison packages. They are fully three months away from being clean, but now it's locked inside and they can't ever be used.
Unsprayed, alive, and 6 months green. Anything less will never be clean.
p.s. Baking could actually alter the chemical composition of a toxin, making it much, much worse. There are sprays approved for use on vegetable plants, that become very toxic when combusted. Those sprays cannot ever be used on tobacco crops.
Baking, or boiling, is hard on leaf litter. It makes it decompose faster. I boil my leaf litter used for culturing springtails, because I am trying to eliminate mites. However for in vivarium use, I bag or box my dry leaves, throw them in the basement for 6 months, and use them as is.