facebook

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Broseph
  • 1 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 3 Post By Philsuma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 04:08 AM

Default Pupae start

Last week, I was tending to my ff cultures and found a large amount of pupae laid on the lids on a pair of cups set up 12 days after seeding.

I thought of a new possible technique of “double clutching” to increase output. Normally I set up new cultures after 14 days. I started new cultures this week using the pupae laden lids as the 1st culture set (day 12) and the 2nd culture set @ day 16 w/ adults. Was wondering if anyone has tried this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2020, 12:08 PM
Mod

Default Re: Pupae start

Sounds interesting, but I don't see how it would 'increase output' (I take that to mean increase FF production without an increased use of 'input X', whatever that might be). How is seeding the next cx with pupae different than seeding it with adults?

- Whitman
Old 03-25-2020, 12:16 PM

I think the maggots look for an ideal spot to pupate, specifically with regards to humidity. If I had them tending toward the lid, I would suspect the culture was too wet.

Similarly, if they are pupating toward the very bottom, I know I’m going to have to add water to the culture soon.
Philsuma, Encyclia and Woodswalker like this.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Sounds interesting, but I don't see how it would 'increase output' (I take that to mean increase FF production without an increased use of 'input X', whatever that might be). How is seeding the next cx with pupae different than seeding it with adults?
What I think he is intending is that there would be two blooms of flies, one early from the pupae initially and then a second bloom when the adults, that are also being used to culture, reproduce
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:23 PM
TWI/ASN

Pupating higher in the cup is almost always:

1. Too high humidity inside the cup

2. Restricted airflow

3. lack of laying area in center of cup

Don't stack your cx's, in fact they should never touch each other in any way.

I have been using excelsior for over 10 years. I have gone back and forth with coffee filter and even nothing, and excelsior increases yield the best by far.
Encyclia, Woodswalker and Ravage like this.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
What I think he is intending is that there would be two blooms of flies, one early from the pupae initially and then a second bloom when the adults, that are also being used to culture, reproduce
Ahhh...you seed the new culture as usual plus use the pupae-laden lid on the new cx. I like this idea, though my FFs don't lay on the lid, so I can't do this.

I still don't see that there is any increase in number of flies produced overall (since the pupae will produce the same number of adults no matter whether they're in the old cx or the new one), but the production in any one cx will be less 'boomy'.

- Whitman
Old 03-27-2020, 06:58 AM

Thanks everyone for chiming in. Here’s the specifics. Normally at home, I use vented lids to cover my cups. My cultures are propagated outside in shoeboxes layered w/ diatomaceous earth. Early in my hobby experience, I found that if I placed a fabric lid on top of the vented lid, it kept the phorid flies from contaminating my cultures. This is my introduction to fabric lids.
At work (Honolulu Zoo) I was having the same problem with phorid flies and vented cups. There was also an issue with mold attacks. Needed to do a change up to remedy the situation so I used fabric lids on a set of culture cups (Josh’s media, DO water & excelsior). I also used a cover on the bin for this set as a secondary barrier against phorid flies & help with low humidity (mold). I have found through experience that changing out to clean lids at around the 14th day seems to maintain a healthy culture. I had planned to change the fabric lids with vented lids when I discovered the pupae laden fabric lids and came up with the idea of “double clutching”. So far, the pupae started on day 12 have hatched on day 14 and the normal adult started cups were started on day 16 instead of day 14.
Was just putting it out there to see if anyone else has tried this?