Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rain_Frog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 05:13 PM

Default Crickets?

Background: only new to darts. 20+ years breeding and selling snakes, lizards, etc. had a reptile room full of racks and animals. But, these are for a display Viv in a main room.
So, Is there a significant drawback to 1/8 crickets? I’ve had both those and fruit flies for other animals (though flies only as a change-up). The crickets are no bigger than the flies, and don’t pose the escape issue. Though, honestly, flies aren’t getting out of my Viv. So, this question is just for my own education.
The only thing I see, is that the flies are easier to get large quantities, keep going, and probably far more cost effective. But, sometimes I have the crickets. Is there any drawbacks to using them as a supplement food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2020, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Crickets?

Search for the post Gryllodes sigillatus. I feed crickets to my mantellas as a staple for 15 years. This past year I started breeding my own crickets, and feed pinheads to my tincs along with fruit flies. The tincs love it, and I have never found a cricket survive until adulthood in any vivarium, mantella or tinc tank. I probably wouldn't feed pinheads as a staple to thumbnail frogs though, unless its Epipedobates.

Crickets need more attention than the frogs though. If I miss one or two days without giving a fresh piece of potato to the pinheads, they die very quickly. I recently bought a big bag if chicken feed and less than a week only the corn grits haven't been eaten.

If you have time and space, pinhead crickets from G. sigillatus are a reliable food source, and an easy way to supplement your bigger dart frogs' diet. Their frass makes an excellent organic fertilizer for outdoors too.

1/8" would be pushing it for tincs, but the preferred size for mantellas.
Encyclia likes this.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Crickets?

I have also used A. domestica for mantellas and darts, until they were no longer consistently available and other species took their place.

I agree that the bandeds are a useful cricket, but find they require a little more energy to manipulate behaviorally in a viv or feeding station.

They are just as easy to trap with a firm spot of warmth and protein though.

Old 02-22-2020, 02:30 PM

Pretty much what I expected. I used to get adult crickets by the thousands, then quickly tired of taking care of them. My staple changed to superworms, wax worms etc. crickets were loud, and died fast without a lot of attention. But, they are an easy option sometimes for a change.