No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fahad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Feeding Crickets without losing them

Hi All,

We have 5 yellow subadult Terribilis in a 70X55X55 cm tank. They are doing fine. feeding on both kinds fruitflies and and springtales.

Now, they can take bigger, so we thought of feeding them some crickets. We bought some that are no problem is size (about 1 cm long, little under half an inch). But we have quite some leave litter in the tank and overgrown back and side walls. And the crickets, fast as they are, hide everywhere.

for fruitflies, no problem, but crickets?? Is this a problem? We only feed about 6 or 8 at a time and they will (probably) be eaten at some point. Any danger for the Darts?

How do you feed crickets? How to you keep them from running away? any insights that you can share will be welcome.

Have a good day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2019, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Feeding Crickets without losing them

Crickets are a problematic feeder for the reasons you've already stated, but I do use them sometimes for terribilis because I can gut-load them with a variety of foods and they do elicit a serious feeding response from my sub-adult blackfoots -- even more so than my yellow group in the past.

Mine will actively chase down crickets with enthusiasm.

I don't feed too many at a time. If the odd one escapes I do keep feeding stations in the tank to entice them out, and if I see a survivor that's getting too big, I've grown pretty adept at catching and evicting them.

I don't give them to very small frogs, and never in large numbers. I haven't had a problem and honestly wouldn't expect it with healthy frogs and well-fed crickets, but numbers low nonetheless.

Maybe someone else can add their experiences to this.
Tijl likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 07:50 PM

Heat + Darkness + Protein Smudge will trap the uneaten crickets like metal shavings to a strong magnet.

I was impelled to use pinhead to 2 week old crickets for a significant timeframe in an accountable format caring for auratus, leucomelas, tictorious, pumilio, M. pulchra, M. aurantiaca; where I had to geek-develop strategies to vanquish risk-to-benefit in feeding crickets to darts. I did not care whether I sold them. I only cared if they were content.

I can share with you what worked for me if you like, with some describe of your scenario.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmc View Post
Heat + Darkness + Protein Smudge will trap the uneaten crickets like metal shavings to a strong magnet.

I was impelled to use pinhead to 2 week old crickets for a significant timeframe in an accountable format caring for auratus, leucomelas, tictorious, pumilio, M. pulchra, M. aurantiaca; where I had to geek-develop strategies to vanquish risk-to-benefit in feeding crickets to darts. I did not care whether I sold them. I only cared if they were content.

I can share with you what worked for me if you like, with some describe of your scenario.
So, putting some dog-food with a bit of water sludge under a coconut in warm corner will attract them. Maybe put the coconut on a plastic lid or perti-dish and you can easily get them out of the tank, right?
Old 12-03-2019, 07:11 AM

Yes that would work, you dont have to add water though and you can just smear it on the interior of the coconut usually theyre toothy enough.

Fish food flakes in a doughy ball, smashed inside. Zupreem biscuits wet or dry worked well with the chinese house crickets when they were the dominant species, which have been mostly replaced by the Banded Crickets by suppliers, which really seem stronger drawn to animal, not soy protein.

I had to use something fast and disposable so I frequently used paper towel or toilet tissue cardboard roll, kind of flattened to keep it from being occupied by hunting frogs. But many things will work you just want it to be either disposable or washable.

When I had the frogs downstairs all the tanks were butted against the warm wall of a heated cabinet. Thats where I put the traps.

For a home viv the small 4X5 heat mats by various brands will add to the traps power. You can get the Fluker type which is non-adherant, for temprary placement or just get a zoo med one and turn it portable by sticking it on a piece of glass or small square of white shelving. Small, just big enough for the pad so that it doesnt dictate placement. (on outside, of course. I like the wall)

I could really see your guys rambling around the opening and trying to get at the crickets so make sure they cant get in, or stuck.

The localized temp of the trap should be around 10 degrees warmer than the ambient for the best results.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:19 AM

I used a trap when I eyeballed a wayward in the tanks that had managed to size up. There were usually more than what I saw, and the modality there was utiltarian semi naturalistic so when they were changed I could see that the traps indeed worked.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:20 AM

Many things work. I havent gotten pinheads for my bumblebee guys for a while and I just gutted a plastic penlight that I had in a jar right here that Ive got designs on using.

But I like your coconut petri combo.

Tags
crickets, feeding, hiding