Isopod substrate - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Food & Feeding
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By FrogTim
  • 1 Post By calhoun3186
  • 2 Post By Dane

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2019, 03:00 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 29
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Isopod substrate

What do y'all use for your isopod substrate? I was thinking about using a 1 part sphag 2 part reptibark substrate for them. Would this substrate be good for isopods? What substrate have y'all had the best luck with for your isopods? What substrate was the worst? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2019, 04:53 PM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 1,162
Thanks: 51
Thanked 138 Times in 133 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun3186 View Post
I was thinking about using a 1 part sphag 2 part reptibark substrate for them. Would this substrate be good for isopods?
Probably not -- nothing for them to eat.

Years of experience here:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gt...od%20substrate
__________________
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd.

- Whitman
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
amgini (12-02-2019)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2019, 06:09 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 29
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun3186 View Post
I was thinking about using a 1 part sphag 2 part reptibark substrate for them. Would this substrate be good for isopods?
Probably not -- nothing for them to eat.

Years of experience here:
https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gt...od%20substrate
I'm feeding bug burger, have leaf litter and cork bark as well. I tried searching and read many threads but really couldn't get a good idea of what properties the substrate needs.
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2019, 06:11 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun3186 View Post
What do y'all use for your isopod substrate? I was thinking about using a 1 part sphag 2 part reptibark substrate for them. Would this substrate be good for isopods? What substrate have y'all had the best luck with for your isopods? What substrate was the worst? Thanks in advance.
I've been using NEHERP version 2 vivarium substrate, Works great.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2019, 06:34 PM
Herpin Man's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Isopod substrate

I use a mix of peat moss, sphagnum, and orchid bark. Another keeper told me not to use coco coir, as it supposedly can cause them to become impacted.
I also ensure that they always have leaves to eat.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-30-2019, 07:03 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 29
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herpin Man View Post
I use a mix of peat moss, sphagnum, and orchid bark. Another keeper told me not to use coco coir, as it supposedly can cause them to become impacted.
I also ensure that they always have leaves to eat.
Thanks, this was exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2019, 12:43 AM
FrogTim's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Huntington Beach, California
Posts: 794
Thanks: 18
Thanked 47 Times in 45 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

I culture my isopods on 100% Coco with some calcium bearing clay pellets thrown in. Some leaf litter and cork pieces make it easier to shake them into vivariums. I raise powder orange and dwarf whites. Moisture level is a more important factor when choosing a substrate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Dane likes this.
__________________
southern variabilis, blackwater vents, green&bronze auratus, blue&black auratus, azureus, benedicta
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 AM
Socratic Monologue's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central WI
Posts: 1,162
Thanks: 51
Thanked 138 Times in 133 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun3186 View Post
I'm feeding bug burger, have leaf litter and cork bark as well
Ah. Yes, they'll eat the leaf litter (I mix mine in), and some will eat the cork too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calhoun3186 View Post
I tried searching and read many threads but really couldn't get a good idea of what properties the substrate needs.
I really wasn't trying to blow you off. Sometimes (usually) I feel like a big jerk playing the 'go search' card -- but then I don't, because here's a bit from the first hit on that search:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
ABG works well because it is light and airy, stays moist, and is packed with organics that your Isopods/Woodlice can eat.
A cheaper alternative would be a peat based mix with plenty of organics mixed in.

Exactly what you wanted
, and the rest of that thread is an epic goldmine of culturing info. Can't pass that stuff up.
__________________
I think I could turn and live with animals, they are so placid and self-contain'd.

- Whitman
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: NE Texas
Posts: 29
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
I really wasn't trying to blow you off. Sometimes (usually) I feel like a big jerk playing the 'go search' card -- but then I don't, because here's a bit from the first hit on that search:



Exactly what you wanted
, and the rest of that thread is an epic goldmine of culturing info. Can't pass that stuff up.
I didn't take it as you trying to blow me off, its sound advice suggesting to use to search function. Using the search function saves everyone time and keeps information more condensed. I didn't find many threads that talked about the substrate as a main focus, most threads focused on isopod foods (although this seems to be the same really). I did read through the link you provided and did find a lot of good information there. However, to be honest the link you provided was at the bottom of the first page so if I was more thorough/not lazy I would have eventually came upon it. Thanks again for the help/information.
Socratic Monologue likes this.

Last edited by calhoun3186; 12-01-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-02-2019, 12:07 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 68
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

I have been using potting soil as a base, mixed with spag moss, coco fiber, charcoal, and leaf litter.
Seems to work fine.



https://www.scottsbrands.com/en-us/p...ilizer-wetting

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2019, 05:29 PM
fishingguy12345's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 248
Thanks: 15
Thanked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

I use a mix of garden soil, peat, Coco fibre, and charcoal as the substrate, and feed repashy bug burger, with cuttlebone and lumps of charcoal. The charcoal seems to be a favorite of my isos, there are usually a bunch of them on the charcoal pieces.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Dane's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 143
Thanked 229 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

I've migrated to straight coco mulch, with a little live oak mixed in. It seems that finer substrates allow the isopods to burrow more easily, supporting greater population densities. I feed Repashy Morning Wood exclusively now, and it has given me better results than Bug Burger, vegetable scraps, or other powdered mixes.
Johanovich and Tijl like this.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2019, 02:56 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 68
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
I've migrated to straight coco mulch, with a little live oak mixed in. It seems that finer substrates allow the isopods to burrow more easily, supporting greater population densities. I feed Repashy Morning Wood exclusively now, and it has given me better results than Bug Burger, vegetable scraps, or other powdered mixes.

Do you use the morning wood dry or make it into the gel?

Whenever I make the gel it seems to mold fast.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Dane's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 143
Thanked 229 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambilobe View Post
Do you use the morning wood dry or make it into the gel?

Whenever I make the gel it seems to mold fast.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Gel is too much work, and the isopods don't care. I sprinkle it in dry.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Today, 01:29 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 68
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Gel is too much work, and the isopods don't care. I sprinkle it in dry.
You are probably right, they are bugs.

Where do you buy decayed wood?

Cant collect outside, and cant find online.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old Today, 05:29 PM
Dane's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,432
Thanks: 143
Thanked 229 Times in 175 Posts
Default Re: Isopod substrate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambilobe View Post
You are probably right, they are bugs.

Where do you buy decayed wood?

Cant collect outside, and cant find online.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Who says you need decaying wood?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.