Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishingguy12345

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM

Default porcellionides pruinosus

recently acquired some isopods, was wondering what the best substrate and food for this species is? does a substrate that is easily burrowed work best, a shallow container or a deep one? how does one feed frogs isopods, full sized ones are much too big for my frogs, do the adults survive while the babies get picked off?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 02:39 AM

Default Re: porcellionides pruinosus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin9713 View Post
recently acquired some isopods, was wondering what the best substrate and food for this species is? does a substrate that is easily burrowed work best, a shallow container or a deep one? how does one feed frogs isopods, full sized ones are much too big for my frogs, do the adults survive while the babies get picked off?

Dirt and leaves for substrate.
They will in my experience just live between the dirt and leaves, don't bury much.
I wouldn't feed them to frogs, they're likely to be too big for the frogs to eat.
Old Yesterday, 02:45 AM

should i not have any in vivarium then or only have a few, or should i have a different species like dwarf white isopods in with my frogs?

Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin9713 View Post
should i not have any in vivarium then or only have a few, or should i have a different species like dwarf white isopods in with my frogs?

Dwarf white isopods are much better for in frog vivariums, in my opinion. I do have Porcellionides pruinosus in with one of my frog tanks but have been pulling them out whenever I see them to remove them from the tank. Could just be my worry over them harming the frogs, and not actually be a danger.
Socratic Monologue likes this.
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
Dwarf white isopods are much better for in frog vivariums, in my opinion. I do have Porcellionides pruinosus in with one of my frog tanks but have been pulling them out whenever I see them to remove them from the tank. Could just be my worry over them harming the frogs, and not actually be a danger.
I'm not a fan of them either. I have a cx of powder orange, and compared to dwarfs they are monsters. Big, way too active, and they've eaten everything good out out of the 50/50 ABG/oak leaves substrate in only a few months. Yes, I could tweak my feeding of them I suppose, but if there is special regular care for a clean up crew, then they aren't a CUC anymore, but rather are just more viv inhabitants.

I'll not be putting them in any frog vivs, though I understand other folks do, and seem to appreciate them. They are pretty and fun to watch in the culture bin, though.

- Whitman
Old Today, 03:54 AM

Wet abg and leaf litter is the easiest.