Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Food & Feeding
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2006, 11:58 PM

Default frog to culture ratio?

how many ff cultures should i get to feed say, 3 to 5 tricolours? i currently have 3 cultures and they produce about 2x as much as i feed to my young pacific tree frog(a little over 1/2", 3/4" at the biggest)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2006, 12:03 AM

To begin, always err on the side of having too many flies. I'd probably run 5-6 cultures, dividing them into two development groups (ie, starting 2 or three cultures weekly for melanogasters). THat way, culture crashes, mites, mold, fliers, etc. won't be a problem even if they occur.

Ryan
Old 06-24-2006, 12:24 AM

Default Re: frog to culture ratio?

Like he said, it's dependant on how many different species you culture. say 3, you'll need to have around three (at least) of each, to sustain the genetics and keep the (future) population viable. When I first started, at one point I was up to around 14 cultures for just three frogs. But now I can keep the same amount of cultures going for probably 20 frogs.

-Who knows

Old 06-24-2006, 02:43 AM

I usually go by the number of tanks as opposed to the number of frogs because I will completely empty a culture in full production into a tank when I feed if I have the flies available. For two tanks (one for the tree frogs, one for the tricolors) I'd go with 6 cultures and stager them in three stages with 2 cultures to a stage. Two that are brand new, two that are just getting ready to produce, and two that are dying. For hydie I'd add in another group of flies so that at groups of cultures was being made every week.

Old 06-25-2006, 12:06 AM

I start new cultures every two weeks, and I keep 4 cultures going at a time for my frogs... so that's 12-16 going at any one time. I have 7 frogs... so that tells you how careful I am. and it always leaves room for more frogs.

Tree Walkers International
OFP Committee Member
Old 06-25-2006, 12:25 AM

2 of my 3 cultures just had a big hatch, i have so many freakin flys i'm trying to find ways of getting rid of them :| . i've been taking the oldest culture and when all the flys have hatched i start feeding them all to my various pets(2 fish tanks, a jumping spider and my 1 tree frog) and then i clean out the culture and put in new media, by that time one of the cultures is usually already had a big hatch or is in the middle of so i will dump about 50 of the flys into the empty culture and feed out of the other 2.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:42 PM

always have more then you need. trust me it's no fun to go searching for flies because cultures crash.

i'm always curious on how much those with a lot of frogs culture. unfortunately i have a staggering culture routine. i make 4 cultures daily and keep over 100 cultures at any given time. how about everyone else with large collections?
Old 06-27-2006, 11:47 PM

At any given time I have roughly 300 cultures (three types of flies) going using a 6 week rotation scheme....2 weeks from innoculation to production and starting new cultures and 4 weeks of using those cultures for feeding.

As with Scott, I have a cycle where the oldest cultures are removed and the newer ones added to a rack that is isolated from my starter cultures.

Bill
Old 06-28-2006, 01:54 AM

300! How many frogs/froglets do you have Bill?
Old 06-28-2006, 02:56 AM

Oh my god you really don't want to know ops: My wife certainly doesn't ....substantially north of the number of FF cultures :shock:

Bill
Old 07-07-2006, 04:15 PM

Wow! That is incredible. Many of us froggers play that funny little game with our significant others. Thankfully, I have tadpoles morphing out so I can low ball them number and hide the fact that I just got another frog!
Old 07-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Mod

Keep in mind that cultures that have reached peak production will crash quickly if flies aren't constantly being removed. It's a good idea to have more than you need, but if you don't feed the excess to the toilet frog, or get rid of them some other way, you'll quickly have less than you need.

(pic courtesy of Darren Meyer)