Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Food & Feeding
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2006, 10:45 PM

Default Newb question on Fruit flys and other foods.

I have been researching D auratus for about a month or two. I am considering getting a pair in July (I will be back home for the frog fest in Gig Harbor). My main concern is that of fruit flies. How easy is it for them to escape, if they are flightless? Does anyone have containment ideas/risk assment to this? Also, I've read that the technique for feeding is to simply coat the ff's in Ca/vitamins and then essentially dump them into the tank. Is this correct? My girlfriend already hates the fact I have a huge bin of discoids and they only reason she lets me is that they cant escape. My other question is would it be possible to feed nymphs (cockroach babies) to PDF's? Some of them are around 1/16" but are still much larger then FF. Thansk in advance, Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2006, 11:35 PM

fruit flies do not escape unless you spill them or there are holes in the viv they can get out of... of course, you will spill a couple when you are pouring them into the feeding cup, but they will quickly die. I feed every day, and rarely see flies.
Yes, they nymphs can be fed if they are as small as 1/16", i dont know how this is larger than an ff though, as ff's are about 1/8".
Old 03-03-2006, 12:19 AM

The nymphs are about the size of a full grown lady bug or just under a quarter inch long (my mistake). The thing that worries me is they are much wider then the fruit flies I've seen in lab. These are about 3mm in length and have very little body to them.

Old 03-03-2006, 12:36 AM

You will have FF escapes. If your girl friend is already concerned about seeing one out, than you are going to need to be pro active to address that there will be escapes from time to time. As far as quickly dying, I don't think so unless you think days is quick. FF have a life cycle and they can live it out either in the viv or by your bananas on the counter.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:42 AM

You can minimize the number of FF escapees by having a small piece of fruit in the viv (orange slice, banana slice, etc.) and the FFs will congregate there as opposed to roaming and escaping. So that's the upside, the downside is that it will tend to make your frogs lazy...basically they will cluster around the fruit and nab flies as opposed to chasing them around the viv. But if it's the difference between an irate girlfriend or exercise challenged frogs...I suspect you know the correct choice :wink:

You can also FF proof your setups to a certain extent by sealing any openings that you can find...it helps but is not fool proof. I've found that placing cups containing apple cider vinegar plus a drop of dishwashing detergent...this attracts and drowns the flies...you can place the cup where it won't be seen somewhere outside the viv and no one will be wiser.

Bill
Old 03-03-2006, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoisfive
I've found that placing cups containing apple cider vinegar plus a drop of dishwashing detergent...this attracts and drowns the flies...you can place the cup where it won't be seen somewhere outside the viv and no one will be wiser.

Bill
Right on... that sounds like a sure fire solution to trap escapees. My roomates came home today and saw the FF cultures I had just recieved in the mail. While I am sure I would have mentioned it at sometime these past few months, they proceeded to toss a fit about loose flys. 3 grown men whining about flightless FF's, what a bunch of skirts. Needless to say I was more than happy that Sauradon mentioned this and have found all of these 'tricks' very informative.

My thanks to you all
Old 03-03-2006, 10:22 AM

I learned the apple cider vinegar trick right here on the board...it works better (at least for me) than some of the other methods I've tried. The key is to add a small amount of soap to decrease the surface tension and allow the flies to drown.

Bill