Dendroboard banner

Highland Tricolor

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  skylsdale 
#1 ·
Is Sean Stewart the only line in the US?

#7 ·
Correct, and there is a chance some mixing could have taken place especially during the period when tricolor was being renamed anthonyi and then they were all lumped together under tricolor and then it was determined they were two different species and finally split into tricolor and anthonyi (but even not some people are unaware of this and assume 'tricolor' and anthonyi' are the same species: case in point, the "Highlands" are a form of anthonyi. Moraspungos are a form of tricolor, but also found at a higher elevation...).

Always best to know your source and, just in case, I would recommend keeping frogs from different lineages separate unless you are confident of the source.

#12 ·
Well, no one is actually quite sure where, exactly, they were collected. The European's refer to them as "Tierra Alta"...hence "High Land." The assumption being they must come from higher elevations. Given this, they may prefer cooler temperatures than other forms of anthonyi (such as Santa Isabels). But don't take this as dogmatic truth--I keep Highlands next to my Moraspungos: the latter breed like crazy the and former have just sort of hung out for a few years with no signs of breeding whatsoever.

Another difference between E. anthonyi and tricolor as species is that tricolor are only found at a certain elevation level and above, whereas anthonyi are found at corresponding elevation levels as well as below. Epipedobates tricolor have a unique preference for higher elevations, whereas anthonyi can be found all over the map when it comes to elevation preference.

So you may try keeping your Highlands like you do your Santa Isabels...or you may try giving them cooler temperatures and seeing what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.