Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Species > Epipedobates
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 PM

Default Santa Isabel female calling

I recently got a 4.1.1 group of SI's. I split them in to 2 groups. 2.1 and 2.0.1 The 2.1 group laid eggs about 4 days after I got them. The 2.0.1 group recently started calling after switching males around to get the vocal males in each group. I was spying on the 2.0.1 group today after one male started calling. I noticed the 0.0.1 (suspected female) was replying with vocal noise. It was audible, but not quite as loud as the male. It was quite a bit slower and of a lower pitch then the male. Pretty much like a tiiiickkk....tiiiickkk....tiiiickkk. Unlike the males fast high pitched call.
Has anybody witnessed a female calling or is this frog a male? I have heard calls like this before, but it was when the groups still weren't straightened out and I had a group of 1.1.1 and the rest of the males in the other. That is when I got eggs from the proven female and the male in that group.

I don't know very much detail about this sub-group of frogs and I could not find anything about females calling here on the forum. I thought I would ask before jumping to conclusions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2013, 11:20 PM

I think I remember reading a thread similar to this on the board before, I did a quick search but wasn't able to come up with it right away.
The thread was anecdotal, and I don't remember too many people having like experiences, so I'd love to hear more about this.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:40 AM
TWI/ASN

Default Re: Santa Isabel female calling

I had a 3.2 breeding group of SIs. My males all had different variances to their calls. I couldn't ID the frogs by appearance but I can by their calls.

I think you have a male with a weak call. Also you mentioned "vocal male". I've never known any male SI to be non vocal. I see my males calling just about side by side and with rhythmic alternations.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:07 AM

Yeah, it turns out it was a male. Apparently I got one of the swaps between the two groups wrong. I noticed that the proven female was looking gravid along with another frog in the "2.1" group. I knew for sure that one was a male and one was a female, but the other one that was looking larger was actually the unsexed frog of the group. I kept thinking to "two frogs in 2.1 group are looking gravid, but there should be only one female in there. Do I just have a fat male?" Then I would look in the group that was supposed to be 2.0.1 and kept thinking that they all looked fairly trim. I switched out the unsexed frog with the other frog that I confused for the calling female. Turns out that male is extremely vocal now that he is away from the other vocal male. The proven female also laid another clutch and unsexed frog is still looking gravid. I'm hoping that if it is female that she will lay soon. The seller is pretty sure it is a female and I'm starting to really think the same.
Some of the males in this group are surprisingly loud! I can hear them all the way upstairs about 2 rooms away from the stair case. I'm not complaining. Their calls are beautiful. It is just surprising how much noise a frog that measures just under and inch can make.
There is still one male that I have not witnessed calling yet. Usually after a few minutes of calls that I don't recognize, I will run into the frog room and look in the viv. Usually the caller is perched some where and still has a little bit of air in the calling "bubble" or what ever it is called. I am sure that at least 3 males have called at one point from checking.
It sure is fun to here them when the have calling battles. Almost every time one starts, the other three will start. It used to be just one at a time, but I guess they are getting more bold now.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:41 AM
TWI/ASN

I love listening to the SIs call. It has good volume and quite pleasant. I'm glad you were able to sort it out.
Old 08-16-2017, 01:19 AM

I tried to post this in another thread but the site would not allow me to post...

Here is the thread: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/epi...ta-isabel.html

I am planning on getting a 2.2.0 of E. anthonyi from a breeder at the next fall NARBC as my first set of dart frogs. I am a biology major in college and am currently living with my family still so I still have to take them into consideration. That being said I have read threads saying that E. anthonyi are SUPER loud. Since they would be going in my room I was wondering if you guys could give me advice as to if that is a good idea or I should look into getting a different species (Auratus or even Leucs). I have personally heard their calls at zoos and aquariums but it could have been dampened. I keep all my herps in my room so I'm use to dumpy tree frogs calling and crickets. How do SIs compare to that?

H&S