Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cbreon
  • 2 Post By MELLOWROO421
  • 1 Post By jckee1
  • 1 Post By skylsdale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 05:43 PM

Default Moraspungas

Since I have some froglets now I have been doing some reading up on them and and looking up old posts. I noticed that many people have mentioned having them or had them but I never really see too many for sale. Are they harder to get breeding? They are such a pretty frog I would think there would be more of them around.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2013, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Moraspungas

Hey Jim, I don't think there is much difference between breeding these and the other tricolor's. A strong wet cycle with a area of standing water produced a couple rounds of froglets for me until a mass escape decimated my breeding colony several years ago. You are right they are pretty, but I think that the elsuiveness of many of these frogs keeps many of the hobbyists away. I think they prefer cooler temps, mid 60's to low 70's seemed to give me the best results. Some of the others breeding these have noted similar things. If that is the case, then I could see why people may have toruble breeding them while keeping them with the rest of their frogs...

Good luck with breeding them!
Old 04-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Yes, I have heard of that they like lower temps. Good to hear it confirmed.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM

have the rest of your tads morphed out yet?
Old 04-05-2013, 07:09 PM

I've seen a few breeding setups for these frogs. Using pools of water for depositing and rearing tads seemed to work well for a few people, myself included. I've also seen people use the seed pods, partially burried for deposition sites. I haven't pulled eggs and raised tads, but I'm sure you could do that as well...
jckee1 likes this.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:18 PM

I breed highland anthonyi, which appear to be very similar. Mine do like it very wet and I keep them on the lower rack to help keep the temps down. I keep 4 or 5 small tupperware cups (4-5 oz) and the typically will leave 3 or so tads in each cup. I then pull the tads and raise them separately. They are good at hiding the eggs and the tank is very overgrown. I think that heavy plant densities helps them feel comfortable. I see mine in front by the water cups quite often. It would be nice to see more of these frogs.
Gamble and jckee1 like this.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:16 PM

Thanks for all the good info. Much appreciated.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:22 AM

hey jim do you have any pictures of the froglets?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:44 AM
Mod

Nice Jim,I haven't gotten my to breed yet.I know I have some calling males,but I'm not sure I have any females.I may actually look for some in the near future.They are really cool frogs!Congrats on the new morphlings!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:38 AM

It's ironic that you posted this, bc I was just talking about these with a buddy of mine a few hours ago. (About which ones are rarest ... these, Highlands or Salvias Anthonyi).
Congrats & Good Luck with them!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 AM

Thanks everyone. They are really coloring up. Frogcrazy, if you pm me your email address I could send you a picture. I can't seem to get myself together to post pictures here. Lou, we will have to keep in touch once mine get a little older to see what we end up with. Gamble, thanks for the good luck wish. I hope I can get them breeding at some point. They are still pretty small but are growing rapidly.
Jim
Gamble likes this.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 AM
TWI/ASN

A couple things:

Technically the name is "Moraspungo." Also, if your frogs trace back to ABG (and I think most currently in the states do) please don't mix them with other tricolor (or anthonyi...tricolor and anthonyi are actually completely different species of frogs) that do not originate from ABG or that may come in from Europe with different locale information (such as the Rio Soloma tricolor, etc.).

If they are difficult to breed, I'm unsure as to why that might be as I am currently overrun with them (interesting to note: I also have "Highland" anthonyi in the same conditions, on the same shelf, etc...and can't get them to breed for the life of me). I also think most people don't understand how cool/uncommon this frog is--I had over a dozen for sale at Microcosm last month and ended up coming back home with all of them.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Mod

Hey Ron is there an easy way to visually sex Moraspungos?

I thought anthonyi and highlands were different too,or are santa isabellas from the same area?

I can't believe you didn't sell those at microcosm.I think they are great frogs,between their calls and looks.What conditions(triggers) are you using to get them to breed?
Old 04-19-2013, 04:43 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddlot View Post
Hey Ron is there an easy way to visually sex Moraspungos?
Pretty standard anthonyi/tricolor sexing method: the females tend to take on more of a pear shape as they develop eggs.

Quote:
I thought anthonyi and highlands were different too,or are santa isabellas from the same area?
Epipedobates anthonyi is the species...terms like "Santa Isabel" or "Highland/Tierra Alta" simply refer to populations or frogs from certain locales. For instance, the former were collected just outside of the town of Santa Isabel, and the latter must have been collected at a higher elevation (although on one seems to have any info on this: the founders in the states were from frogs imported from Europe), so they just called them "highland" anthonyi. As a species, E. anthonyi is found throughout southern Ecuador and, most likely, northern Peru.

Epipedobates tricolor is an entirely different species and is found more in the central part of Ecuador, and there is a ~200 km gap between its distribution and that of E. anthonyi. Also, tricolor are not found below a certain elevation...so they tend to be more of an upland/high elevation frog. E. anthonyi, however, are found both below and at the same higher elevations as tricolor, so they are a bit more adaptable to different climate and elevations.

Quote:
I can't believe you didn't sell those at microcosm.I think they are great frogs,between their calls and looks.What conditions(triggers) are you using to get them to breed?
It was interesting: occasionally someone would come by and realize what they were and say, "What? You still have all of these? No one is buying them?" But, most people aren't into 'little brown frogs' and want the flashy, more colorful species.

I don't use any triggers for them. I tend to struggle with keeping things warm enough for frogs than I do keeping them cool enough, so maybe I just have conducive conditions for them. They are in a few tanks with some pools and water features, plenty of leaf litter and foliage...and that's it.

One thing that I think people don't think about with Epipedobates spp. is that, because they breed so much, females can 'burn out' with laying tons of eggs. I don't pull eggs and I don't usually pull tads--I let the frogs do the work. When there are a few clutches in the tank and the frogs have to work at guarding or delivering, there is less time for actively calling or trying to breed, so it helps slow breeding down a bit.

Also, regarding the ABG frogs: because many of these were 'free range' at the Garden, and there were tricolor and anthonyi from different locales...it's possible that frogs made it from one conservatory to another and there is potential that there was some mixing going on (although this is not confirmed). This doesn't decrease the value or worth of the frog (financially or intrinsically), but is why I say they shouldn't be mixed with any other form of tricolor in the states, just in case.

All in all a great frog, and mine call all throughout the day (and currently are, in fact, even though the lights went out almost an hour ago).
jckee1 likes this.
jckee1 (04-19-2013), wasatchtrops (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 03:09 PM

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the info. I have seen both Moraspunga and Moraspungo so I picked one to use but will definitely stick with the correct one 'Moraspungo' as far as the issue of breeding, I think there has been some mis communication. I thought Lou said he had Moraspungos. If he does, then there should be no problem trading frogs. I would never breed different species. interesting that no one picked up any of your frogs at Microcosm but I have a feeling you will be getting some pm's now.
Jim
Old 04-20-2013, 12:20 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckee1 View Post
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the info. I have seen both Moraspunga and Moraspungo so I picked one to use but will definitely stick with the correct one 'Moraspungo' as far as the issue of breeding, I think there has been some mis communication. I thought Lou said he had Moraspungos. If he does, then there should be no problem trading frogs. I would never breed different species. interesting that no one picked up any of your frogs at Microcosm but I have a feeling you will be getting some pm's now.
Jim
That's correct Jim.I do have Moraspungos,So you were correct to say so.