No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JeremyHuff
  • 1 Post By stemcellular

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 06:39 PM
TWI/ASN

Default Tricolor morphing best practices?

When I was bombarded with a ton of tadpoles, I was worried about feeding all those mouths. Not so many tadpoles anymore, and of the two that I have had pop front legs, one was dead in the water when I came home (in a slanted container with a land area), and the other that I moved to a container, didn't last long enough to even absorb their tail.

How do you people get them to morph successfully and survive?

Maybe it's my setup (of which I guess I should take a picture of)?

Are there any tips or tricks that I'm missing?

And if we were to guess, what percentage of tads make it to frogs?
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Tricolor morphing best practices?

The best way I have done it resulting in the largest froglets I have seen. They were nearly a third the size of the adults. I use a 20 long with an under gravel filter. I stick pothos cuttings in as land masses and sink a ton of leaf litter so it rests onto of the gravel. This is also the easiest set up I have had for feeding lots of mouths.
jbherpin likes this.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
TWI/ASN

I use 5 gal tanks for the tads, with gravel at the bottom, and java moss. I float a piece of cork for the froglets to mroph out. I don't use any filters.

I like frogs with flash marks.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
When I was bombarded with a ton of tadpoles, I was worried about feeding all those mouths. Not so many tadpoles anymore, and of the two that I have had pop front legs, one was dead in the water when I came home (in a slanted container with a land area), and the other that I moved to a container, didn't last long enough to even absorb their tail.

How do you people get them to morph successfully and survive?

Maybe it's my setup (of which I guess I should take a picture of)?

Are there any tips or tricks that I'm missing?

And if we were to guess, what percentage of tads make it to frogs?
I just prop up their rubbermade once I see front limbs emerge - they are usually pretty hardy
jbherpin likes this.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyHuff View Post
The best way I have done it resulting in the largest froglets I have seen. They were nearly a third the size of the adults. I use a 20 long with an under gravel filter. I stick pothos cuttings in as land masses and sink a ton of leaf litter so it rests onto of the gravel. This is also the easiest set up I have had for feeding lots of mouths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stemcellular View Post
I just prop up their rubbermade once I see front limbs emerge - they are usually pretty hardy
I have used both methods in the past, and find both work just as well as the other.

Another tip is once the front legs "pop", lower the water level so that it barely covers the froglet's back. With the tilted cup creating a place to emerge and the water level so low, it is very difficult for healthy froglets to drown. Perhaps there was a deeper issue such as SLS, which would explain the lack of ability to exit the water and survivorship in general.

JBear

W. Shakespeare
Old 04-02-2012, 09:30 PM

I've not had issues with anthonyi or tricolor morphing in slanted tanks with water or just floating cork bark in their tanks. I usually included some moss/leaf litter in the water section so even if they got scared into a corner there was a place to easily pull out from. Drowning tended to happen most in bare tanks where they'd swim continuously into corners and didn't have something nearly to pull out on, which usually means you need more floating things in the tank (large frogbit plants worked well too). I usually put the sponge filter in the middle of the tank so the bubbles usually pushed the floating plants and cork to the sides of the tank - worked like a charm.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 PM

For my anthonyi I use an airstone but no filter and just remove waste with turkey baster and top up water as required.
There are indian almond leaves and black alder cones in the water and feed tadpole bites, fish flake, freeze dried and frozen bloodworm and occ supplement with vinegar eels. Also occ put fruit flies on the surface too for them to browse on
I dont slant my tanks anymore just use floating cork bark and have had great success using Eared Watermoss (Salvinia auriculata), which is a robust floating plant that serve as excellent rafts for froglets to pull themselves out the water, plus the hairy vegetation serves as cover for them.