Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Encyclia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015, 02:11 AM

Default E. Anthonyi Santa Isabel Boldness

I bought two E. Anthonyi Santa Isabel froglets in May of this year. They were about 5/8" long at the time.

The entire reason I got these was because everyone says they are extremely bold. But, I can count on one hand the occasions where I have seen either of them not hiding. Typically this is in the morning when I first come into the frog room, and they immediately dive under the leaves.

It had been quite a few weeks since I saw either of them. I went digging through the leaves today and immediately found one. It was so upset it burrowed down into the back corner and all I could see were two back legs flailing around trying to go deeper, so I didn't' try to search for the other.

They are in a 30 gallon long vivarium with sliding front doors and a small water pond in the front corner. Temperatures are adjusted to about 76 during the day, 69 at night. Their humidity is kept just a little higher than I keep for variabilis and pumilio. They are in a fairly quiet frog room. My other frogs are always visible and rarely hide.

Am I the only one with this experience? All I hear about Santa Isabel Anthonyi is how bold they are supposed to be, yet my pumilio are far bolder.

Mark C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2015, 02:14 AM

Default Re: E. Anthonyi Santa Isabel Boldness

Post some pictures of your setup. They seem to do better with larger groups. I usually see them in groups of 4-5 in the tank they are in.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:07 AM
TWI/ASN

When I 1st got some I thought the same thing. I have found that mine liked it a bit more humid and they seems to need more of a break in time. It took about 4 months for mine to start calling again once I got them. The younger ones tend to be a bit more shy until they develop their true colors.
Can you post some shots of the tank. Mine became much more bold once it hit that overgrown phase.

Midwest Amphibians page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/702107233244402/

Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Where do you feed in the viv? Mine (4 in a 24x18x18 Exo) always hang at the feed zone in the AM. I've had mine for about 4 months also and one has just started calling.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:48 PM

I have had some for a year or two and they are great breeders. I find that they are much more skittish when they are not breeding. When I hear calling from their tank (the loudest of any frog I have), they don't disappear nearly as quickly. When I moved them to a new viv a month or two ago, though, they don't come out nearly as often. I think it just takes them a while to get used to their viv enough to breed, and once that happens, I am betting you will see them a lot more often.

Mark
YoungFrogs412 likes this.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:04 AM

Thanks for that. I'll try and post a picture soon. It is far from overgrown, but there is plenty of leaf litter. I guess I will just give them more time and watch the plants grow.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:51 AM

I have 5, and 4 out of 5 of them are generally always out and about.

1 of them likes to hide in a small ditched area in the back of my tank, and burrow in a bit. But you'll hear them call from back there, and the ones out in the open will respond.

Essentially mine have been calling since about 3 days after I got them, and now, well, you can't shut them up

I will agree, if your tank supports it, a larger group is better, they tend to group very well, and during feeding time they'll alert the ones that are hidden to bring them out to feed.

My 5 are in a 75gal, its overkill, honestly. They could suffice just fine in a 40 I imagine, but the added space gives me a lot of room to do vertical movement things for them and fill in space with plant coverage.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:31 PM

I had a group of 3 start in an 18 x 18 x 24.(1 male 2 females). I understand male heavy is better. The adults are much bolder than the juveniles.

They breed like crazy and before long their were 30 frogs of various sizes in this tank. Granted you would only be aware of the huge number of babies hiding in the leaflitter during feeding time.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:15 PM

I now have a 2.1 group of zarayunga. They live in a tank that is a moonscape compared to most vivariums on this forum.

The males are almost always in the open, often perched prominently on the rockwork. Female is a little shyer, but not by much. Along with the calling they are an incredible presence in the living room.

I think the trick with these is to keep them in groups and for them to be fully grown.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 AM

Mine seem to be a bit on the shy side at first, but are becoming more bold as they age up.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrobait View Post
I now have a 2.1 group of zarayunga. They live in a tank that is a moonscape compared to most vivariums on this forum.

The males are almost always in the open, often perched prominently on the rockwork. Female is a little shyer, but not by much. Along with the calling they are an incredible presence in the living room.

I think the trick with these is to keep them in groups and for them to be fully grown.
I echo all of this. Not long ago I had a group of 6 zarayunga for about a year and they were always out and about, making a ton of noise, and breeding like crazy. Oh, and eating like pigs.

"Save the earth! It's the only planet with beer."