Dendroboard banner

Warning if you are going to get some Santa Isabel

26K views 60 replies 42 participants last post by  Pentrilx 
#1 ·
Don't keep them in your room! They have a loud call and wake me up everyday! Learn from me, keep them in your frog room. But other than tag they are great.

#31 ·
Just as an aside, my Santa Isabels were really quiet for the first year or so that I owned them. I recently redid their tank and noticed that things were really dry in there (more so than I thought). During the redo, I paid closer attention to limiting the ventilation and now it is quite humid in there. The difference has been remarkable. They call almost constantly now, and I got my first clutch of eggs. I felt really bad because they could not have been comfortable before. Guess it was a good learning experience for me...

Mark

#37 ·
These guys are awesome; however, I would like to add that those videos do not really even do them justice...I have about a 2300 square foot home and you can hear them clearly at any end of them home, and even from outside! :)

#42 · (Edited)
I think that the great part of having a frogroom is hearing them call. The louder the better to me. I have 8 groups of anthonyi/tricolors, 7 groups of ameerega and 3 groups of auroteania. When they all get going its pretty cool to hear.

Now if you want to compain about noise we have an Elcletus (Small parrot) and Yellow Headed Amazon. When these birds start screaming, you can't even hear yourself think. Plus there call isn't pleasant like many of our frogs we keep.

#43 ·
I can imagine that being a pretty loud room! It sounds perfect, well except for the parrots. I've been stuck listening to those noisy birds for my entire life and my lilac crowned amazon still has about forty years left in her :eek:

All I have calling (audibly) is a few imitator groups, pums and my vanzos. I also have my mourning geckos and cresties, but they are mostly silent during the day. I'm pretty sure I heard the first call from one of my terribs the other day and I can't wait till he starts calling regularly!

John

#45 ·
Do all Epipedobates anthonyi have a very loud call or just the Santa Isabel. I have been considering getting a small group of these (possibly Pasaje Sarajunga or Rio Salidillo) for a viv in the room adjacent to my bedroom, but if they are all this loud then that may rule them out.

#46 ·
They all call pretty loudly. It is never an unpleasant volume IMO-but definitely noticeable.

I no longer have my SI's but do have some imitator. They can be heard somewhat in my bedroom even though they are in the livingroom. Cute little sound...morning and evening.

#50 ·
I have SI and Rio Saladillo and the latter ones are much louder and on a different, somehow more annoying frequency. Back when I lived in an apartment, my wife was close to throwing them out, now we have a house and the frogs are in their separate room in the cellar and it works fine. My bassleri sisa though can still be heard on the 2nd floor when they are in the mood, but they tend to call more in the evenings than in the morning.

#51 ·
Would their be any way to use some sort of material to dampen the sound?

I currently have a 2.1 group of Zarayunga, and a roommate is somewhat concerned with the volume level. You can still hear them a bit with the doors closed and them on the other side of the place. They are very bold and I really enjoy them(and their calls).

#54 ·
Oh, man! Coqui are deafening in large numbers. I visited El Yunque in 2010, and while it was a very cool experience to hear such a chorus, it had to have damaged my hearing. They are SO LOUD. I placed a call back home to check in, and the other party asked me what was going on with this crazy flock of wild birds they could hear all around me. I laughed and explained about the frogs. I didn't see a single mosquito the whole time I was there, however!

#55 ·
I glad their calling behaviors are primarily diurnal. I keep my breeding group in the bedroom, as well as several tubs housing offspring that are already beginning to call. Starting at around 4 AM they begin calling.

Pretty horrible when you've been up all night finishing a paper and try to get a few hours of sleep before your class starts. I have time maybe to close my eyes before my beautiful morning melody begins...

Who needs sleep when you can have vocal jungle creatures that help you keep in touch with nature by reminding you of their existence as soon as any visible light enters through the window? The best part is, unlike me, they don't get tired of it. In fact, they live, breath, and feed to reproduce, and don't have any problem working towards their goal (to what end?) constantly, day in and day out.

#56 · (Edited)
I tried to post this earlier but the site would not allow me to post...

I was planning on getting a 2.2.0 proven group of E. anthonyi from a breeder at the next fall NARBC as my first set of dart frogs, then I read this thread. I am a biology major in college and am currently living with my family still so I still have to take them into consideration. That being said I have read threads saying that E. anthonyi are SUPER loud. Since they would be going in my room I was wondering if you guys could give me advice as to if that is a good idea or I should look into getting a different species (Auratus or even Leucs). I write my papers in my room as well as edit youtube videos, so I'm wondering how that would be affected. I have personally heard their calls at zoos and aquariums (I don't mind it) but, it could have been dampened. I keep all my herps in my room so I'm familiar to dumpy tree frogs calling and crickets at night. How do SIs compare to that (I know they are diurnal)? Also do you guys have any tips as to how to curb their calling time? I read that manually turning on their lights might work as well as darkening their tank so they only rely on their tank light. Thanks, :)!

H&S

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.