Opportunity - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

Like Tree60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 AM
Mod

Lightbulb Opportunity

One of the few certainties in life is that things change. Although we may not like some of the changes life throws at us (getting old, sickness, getting fired, etc.), we need to always try to find the positive outcome of such events. It may not be easy, and there is always a "relearning curve," but we gotta try. Without change, things become stale.

Today, it was announced a structural change on the administrative side of DB - Kyle is becoming one of us while Yung (VerticalScope Inc.) is assuming his administrator/owner position. According to Yung, we (Dendroboard members) have the ability to make changes in our own interest.

I see that as a great opportunity. I think this is the perfect time to create a thread here at Feedback and Questions where we can list all the things we would like to see changed and improved, as well as all the bugs and errors that we encounter from time to time.

I know there are already threads discussing some of these topics, but I figured it would be easier for the new administrator to come to one place, a type of "to-do list." Keep in mind though that, as usual, these will be only suggestions that the owners may or may not tackle.

So, succinctly, what would you change/fix on Dendroboard?
The Following User Says Thank You to JPccusa For This Useful Post:
sports_doc (05-24-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPccusa View Post
So, succinctly, what would you change/fix on Dendroboard?

Live updates for threads

I.e: reading through a thread you decide to respond and while typing other responses are added which you cannot see unless you refresh the page and lose your response. Unless of course you just read the new post and reply again.
JPccusa and easternversant like this.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:45 AM

change the search engine to google.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Administrator

Thats a good one...

I have a list of things too that I need to send to Yung.
JPccusa likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 AM

I'd like to see the error that comes up when I click on my "likes from the "Your notifications" column go away. Yes, we can access it if you go to another page, then back in, but this is a bothersome annoyance.
frogface and hypostatic like this.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:12 AM

I'd like to see ads from companies that are LONG gone and out of bussiness go away.

I'd also like the window to edit my post stretched MUCH longer, not minutes.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:13 AM
Administrator

Sure...make the new guy work hard on his first week on the job.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Those ads were gone long ago.

Also the like/thanks system need reduced to 1 maybe vertical scope has a better option. Neither of the 2 we have are very good. I was waiting to upgrade to 5 then address it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yungster View Post
Sure...make the new guy work hard on his first week on the job.
You are welcome!
Old 05-24-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfCrazy View Post
I'd like to see the error that comes up when I click on my "likes from the "Your notifications" column go away. Yes, we can access it if you go to another page, then back in, but this is a bothersome annoyance.
I second this. I think this bug is my biggest pet peeve on the site.
JayMillz likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 AM
Mod

From a moderation perspective, I would like to have forms with fields of required information for threads and posts of the Vendor Feedback and Marketplace subforums. An area of "free text" could be used for frequent posters who cut and paste their ads, as long as they still filled the rest of the form.

This would fix the problem of ads with no price, VF with no transaction date, etc. I'm not sure how flexible vbulletin is, though. One can hope.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:44 AM

Version 5 is really nice. I think it actually addresses a number of the suggestions/problems listed here already. Would be a different feel but still familiar. Plus it has integrated mobile/tablet display so you won't need tapatalk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle1745 View Post
I was waiting to upgrade to 5 then address it.
JPccusa and Gamble like this.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Mod

It would be very helpful to be alerted when someone mentions me in a thread, just like Facebook does.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM

Hmmm i feel that would be more complex, like they'd have to purposefully "tag" you like on facebook
Old 05-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
Hmmm i feel that would be more complex, like they'd have to purposefully "tag" you like on facebook
Yes, that's what I meant, not simply saying the word "hypostatic" and expecting you to be notified.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:54 PM

I have a feeling Ed would get overwhelmed. Oh, and Taron too.
JPccusa and Gamble like this.

Livin' La Vida Vivarium
Old 05-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphytes etc. View Post
I have a feeling Ed would get overwhelmed. Oh, and Taron too.
Oh, and the ability to disable that function. LOL
hypostatic likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
And maybe turn that function off in the classifieds and vendor feedback?
Groundhog likes this.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 PM

Combining subsequent posts from the same user into one post, I just added some information to a post I made earlier and it would be more concise if it was just added together with a time stamp for the new one. I've seen that feature on other forums before.

Ex: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gen...ent-wrong.html
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM

Combining multiple feedback threads for the same person into one thread.
RyanD and SDRiding like this.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Hey everyone,

I'm discussing this with the mods and our team to see which ones we can implement ASAP, which ones we cannot do and which ones we do not want to change.

I'll answer in this thread with our responses when I get them.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Can you PM me a link to a forum where you've seen this in action so I can have a look for myself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDRiding View Post
Combining subsequent posts from the same user into one post, I just added some information to a post I made earlier and it would be more concise if it was just added together with a time stamp for the new one. I've seen that feature on other forums before.

Ex: http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/gen...ent-wrong.html
Old 06-19-2013, 06:40 PM

You know, I have another suggestion:

I know that this is a "dart frog" forum, but it often draws in people who are interested in things that are related, such as vivarium and paludarium building, orchids and plants, and keeping of animals similar to dart frogs like fish and tree frogs...

... I think it would be a good idea to add a ""Vampire Crab" subforum to the site. Their care seems to be identical to common dart frogs, and there's already an interest on the forum for these guys. In fact, there seems to be scant information about these guys on the internet, and I feel like DB has the most information out of anywhere on the net about these guys. So why not give them their own little space?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypostatic View Post
You know, I have another suggestion:

I know that this is a "dart frog" forum, but it often draws in people who are interested in things that are related, such as vivarium and paludarium building, orchids and plants, and keeping of animals similar to dart frogs like fish and tree frogs...

... I think it would be a good idea to add a ""Vampire Crab" subforum to the site. Their care seems to be identical to common dart frogs, and there's already an interest on the forum for these guys. In fact, there seems to be scant information about these guys on the internet, and I feel like DB has the most information out of anywhere on the net about these guys. So why not give them their own little space?
I wouldn't mind seeing the subforums like mantella brought more to the forefront...Seems like those areas kinda died when they got reduced to sub, sub forums under "other amphibians"

I also wouldn't mind seeing a gecko/anolis, or just an "other vivarium inhabitants" section. A vampire crab and/or fish section would be fine with me too.

This started as a dart frog forum, and that is still the main focus but it is also one of the best, if not the best forums for general vivarium, terrarium, paludarium creation info and keeping other species. I think we need to let it evolve more in that direction and not hold it back perhaps as much as it has been in the past...but still keep the core Dart frog stuff as the main focus.

I would like to see a less restrictive feedback system, similar to Faunaclassifieds BOI. I would also like to see admins/mods throw their weight around a bit like they have in the past when bad deals go down on DB....We need to protect our members and make sure that bad business practices are not tolerated here.

I do not want to see any form of paid memberships for most members or even the average guy selling some frogs and plants. I think that will alienate most of us senior members and render this a forum for transient noobs that come and go and basically just water the place down. The senior/experienced members...especially ones that still bother to address nooby questions, or answer the same questions over and over and/or bring new techniques/products to the attention of the community are the life blood of a forum like this IMO.

I would also like to see Lounge and even Thunderdome posts show up in searches, or new threads since last visit sections. It is annoying that I have to check those sections manually...

I always forget about them, and sometimes people have to PM to let me know there is a post about me, or relevant to me. No part of the forum should be easy to forget, or kinda hidden away IMO...Kinda defeats the purpose of a forum. If I have to put the password in when I do access thunderdome threads listed on the CP that is fine...I'd just like them and lounge and any others to show up at least.

I would like to see a few more stickies of useful threads and info....We don't want the first 10 posts in every section to be stickies, but I think we have room for a few more useful ones, or some updates to current ones.

Oh and if there are any paid positions, I could use the extra income
Groundhog and hypostatic like this.

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 06-19-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:19 AM

How about getting rid of the tapatalk popup I get every time I go to this site on my cell phone. I do not accept cookies on my cell phone and this is why I get the pop up, but is this link to tapatalk needed?
Baltimore Bryan and NathanB like this.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Dedicated Supporter

Quote:

Sorry, wrong thread.

EDIT***
Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
I would also like to see Lounge and even Thunderdome posts show up in searches, or new threads since last visit sections. It is annoying that I have to check those sections manually...

I always forget about them, and sometimes people have to PM to let me know there is a post about me, or relevant to me. No part of the forum should be easy to forget, or kinda hidden away IMO...Kinda defeats the purpose of a forum. If I have to put the password in when I do access thunderdome threads listed on the CP that is fine...I'd just like them and lounge and any others to show up at least.
I second this. I really don't like how especially the lounge doesn't appear in the "New Posts" link/search. Maybe in your CP you could have like check boxes for which subforums you want to see in the new posts search?
Dendro Dave and WhyteLocust like this.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:43 PM

Also for the frog marketplace, having sections assigned to genus and species would be helpful. Although you would have to post individual ads for your different frogs... But I for one think it's sometimes difficult to find certain species that I'm interested in just by searching.

1.1 Ranitomeya Summersi 'Sauce'
Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlykid View Post
Also for the frog marketplace, having sections assigned to genus and species would be helpful. Although you would have to post individual ads for your different frogs... But I for one think it's sometimes difficult to find certain species that I'm interested in just by searching.
I'm not a fan of that idea...nothing personal, just a preference. We have pretty active frog classifieds compared to most places but I don't think they are so active and large enough to warrant that kind of separation...Seems like it would be more of a hassle for buyers and sellers especially since so many ads contain a mix of species/morphs.

If I was selling and had to break my ads up that much and place them in different sections it would drive me nuts. As a buyer It would also be kinda annoying IMO, to have to click on half a dozen different sections just to look at 1 or a few new ads in each section.

I am however annoyed periodically when I stumble across frogs listed for sale in an ad but they weren't listed in the title. Makes me wonder how many frogs I may have been interested in and missed because the title just said tincs and/or some other frog I wasn't terribly interested in.

I now try to click/skim every ad, but a guideline (if one doesn't already exist) that says do you best to list everything in the title would be nice (and enforce it if it already exists).
Old 06-22-2013, 08:46 AM

dislike button...anybody? I know there's a few of you out there that will use that like crazy. Could make things complicated...could also make things very funny.

...EDIT>>

second thought never mind, that may actually encourage more people to start using more of their "colorful" language.

Last edited by dendrothusiast; 06-22-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrothusiast View Post
dislike button...anybody? I know there's a few of you out there that will use that like crazy. Could make things complicated...could also make things very funny.

...EDIT>>

second thought never mind, that may actually encourage more people to start using more of their "colorful" language.
(Watch closely...I'm about to be clever )

I Vermilion hate that Verdigris Green Idea! ()...though at times I do wish there were such a Bisque button because I would hit the Smalt out of it. Some times these Damask people drive me Jasper insane

(Did you see it?...No?..Meh, me either ...dang it! )
dendrothusiast and jacobi like this.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
^^^^ This. Particularly the Lounge, which has many threads that are directly applicable to the hobby (yes, I gave in and call it a hobby... sigh). It's really a royal pain trying to scroll through hundreds of threads looking for something.
Dendro Dave and NathanB like this.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:47 AM
Administrator

This was removed from the search on purpose. Its a frogs site and folks who are here for the purpose of the site did not like scrolling through the endless off-topic threads.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 AM

Quote:
This was removed from the search on purpose. Its a frogs site and folks who are here for the purpose of the site did not like scrolling through the endless off-topic threads.
I agree. However, many of the Lounge posts are OT for the particular forums set up but not OT for the interest of the forum members. I will use my own posts regarding a well known frog breeder, his health crisis and the rescue of his many breeding pairs of darts, as an example. This very important issue was relegated to the Lounge because it was deemed OT for the other parts of the forum. It was, however, of great interest to the forum at large. I can't help but think that there would have been a broader response if more members of the board were aware of the situation and updates.

Ok I'm done. Thanks
jacobi likes this.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:36 AM
Dedicated Supporter

If I remember correctly, weren't The Lounge and TD threads left out of searches because someone kept starting religious threads in them?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
If I remember correctly, weren't The Lounge and TD threads left out of searches because someone kept starting religious threads in them?
Why does one small component of an an entire area affect being able to search in it? It makes it more important to be able to find stuff, so we dont have to wade through posts about "The lord is thy shepherd, on the seventh day the flock gets dewormed".
Old 07-04-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
So why not add a feature to the forum where you have to check a box which enables it to appear on the search. They would not appear on the search by default, but the people who want to see it in their search can.

Everybody wins.
NathanB, Gamble and WhyteLocust like this.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Also, I don't remember if it was suggested in the thread already, but I'd like a feature where you get notified if a post of yours gets quoted, like you get a notification if a post gets liked.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:23 AM
Sponsor

How about responding to Private Messages...
Enlightened Rogue likes this.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:08 AM
Dedicated Supporter

How about responding to ANYTHING?!?!

John
JJuchems and jacobi like this.