Seller location and name - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree19Likes
  • 7 Post By JeremyHuff
  • 4 Post By kyle1745
  • 2 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Scott
  • 1 Post By BOOSHIFIED
  • 1 Post By slipperheads
  • 2 Post By tim13
  • 1 Post By kyle1745

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 AM

Default Seller location and name

Can it be made mandatory to have a seller's location and name listed on the ad? I am so tired of "local only" ads with no location given and then the need to ask and wait for an answer. These ads are all reviewed by moderators first and I think that should be a condition for posting. Also, I don't understand the need for anonymity when offering something for sale unless the seller is not an honest person.
JJhuang (05-01-2011), rcteem (05-02-2011), Scott (05-02-2011), VenomR00 (05-01-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Seller location and name

While I understand the concern it is not realistic to expect someone to post their full name online. I agree one should obtain it prior to a deal but with the level of identity theft and abuse I understand why many are not comfortable with posting their full name online.

I do agree that if it is local only they need to provide the location and I will discuss with the moderation team. Understand though we have a lot to review so we are normally reviewing items rather fast so again take the time to know the person you are working with. No effort on our part is going to protect you as well as you can protect yourself. Get references and ask for others experience with sellers before providing a dime if you have a concern.
melas, Woodsman, JoshK and 1 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyle1745 For This Useful Post:
Woodsman (05-02-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 AM

Jeremy

We've tried many a time to get some consistency with Ads.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/fro...mat-sales.html

It is even a sticky in the Ad section.

Try as we may........

Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 AM

Thanked 1,813 Times in 1,317 Posts

For anyone who still doesn't get the last name thing, here is one reason. I have children. One of them is active on the board. While I like to think that all of us are good people, can any of you guarantee that some, well, undesirable is not lurking around on here? I thought not. My location is out there for all to see. If I post my last name, too, anyone can find my children. But if I am PMing with someone I know to be a frogger, just ask. My name is no secret.
Just one reason that every last bit on information may not be included in an ad.
edwardsatc and frogface like this.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
For anyone who still doesn't get the last name thing, here is one reason. I have children. One of them is active on the board. While I like to think that all of us are good people, can any of you guarantee that some, well, undesirable is not lurking around on here? I thought not. My location is out there for all to see. If I post my last name, too, anyone can find my children. But if I am PMing with someone I know to be a frogger, just ask. My name is no secret.
Just one reason that every last bit on information may not be included in an ad.
Exactly. In addition to kids on the board, we also have many girls here. If we want to give our full name and location to someone privately, that's one thing. Posting it for the world at large to see, is something altogether different.

Even with people I've dealt with, I give my work address to send items (deliveries are consistent and early there), which is a government agency and no one is likely to get personal info from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to frogface For This Useful Post:
Pumilo (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 AM

For me, the name issue isn't as big a problem as location. I am not asking for an address, just a city or even state. If it were made a mandatory field when making an account then that is a start.

As for reviewing ads by moderators, if the location in the top right corner isn't filled out, don't accept it. Are ads actually reviewed? Are ads ever rejected, and if so, for what sort of things? If each ad is reviewed, I don't see how checking a location is adding to the workload.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 AM

Would it be possible that when a new thread within any of the classified sections is made, a template of required fields is automatically there and each field needs to be filled in in order for a submittal to be accepted? It seems like every form I fill out online is like this and rejects it instantly if a field is left empty.

Last edited by JeremyHuff; 05-03-2011 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Poor sentence structure
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 AM
Mod

Ads are rejected. Not often, but they are. I rejected one yesterday evening.

We're discussing making the template mandatory - including location.

s
Woodsman likes this.
Pumilo (05-03-2011), Woodsman (05-04-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 AM

It does seem to happen a lot.

It's more of a nuisance then anything. These people go out of there way to make sure they say local only about 4 times in the ad and then have to be asked what exactly local means. Makes no sense.

As for the name I don't see that as at all necessary. If it is a local sale and we meet in person why do you need to know my full name? If I wanted to just go by my DB SN that should be no problem.
JoshK likes this.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 PM

Seems like a good idea to me. People might have security concerns for themselves or their family though, as Doug suggested. But that would be for last name sharing ALONG with your location.

Let's clarify what a local pickup is. In my experience, I have driven more times out of my town then have someone come to me when "selling locally." So, just a suggestion - Require the state that you are in, and leave the town/ city under the seller's discretion. This would preserve the anonymity that some people might have for their own personal reasons, yet leave people interested in what they are selling a good idea of where they are.

Will
evolvstll likes this.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
Exactly. In addition to kids on the board, we also have many girls here. If we want to give our full name and location to someone privately, that's one thing. Posting it for the world at large to see, is something altogether different.

Even with people I've dealt with, I give my work address to send items (deliveries are consistent and early there), which is a government agency and no one is likely to get personal info from there.
There's girls on here? Ahhhhhhhh......cooooooootiesssss
frogface and Pumilo like this.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Dedicated Supporter

I personally like to address people by a name (rather than just a screen name), so I would be happy if we could get to first names on the board. It's just more friendly, in my opinion.

Perhaps there could be a section for local pick-up sales versus people willing to ship. It can be very frustrating to figure out what someone is really trying to accomplish with their adverts sometime. If I am offering a local-only sale the title is always something like

"Tinctorius for local p-up in NYC". That doesn't seem so difficult.

I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever good ideas are put in place. Richard.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
I personally like to address people by a name (rather than just a screen name), so I would be happy if we could get to first names on the board. It's just more friendly, in my opinion.

Perhaps there could be a section for local pick-up sales versus people willing to ship. It can be very frustrating to figure out what someone is really trying to accomplish with their adverts sometime. If I am offering a local-only sale the title is always something like

"Tinctorius for local p-up in NYC". That doesn't seem so difficult.

I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever good ideas are put in place. Richard.
Don't forget, some people are willing to ship contingent that no one locally wants whatever they are selling. Are you saying they would have to make another thread to announce they are shipping frogs now?

I think the system works well with interested buyers sending a message to sellers telling them they are willing to jump on the offer when the seller cannot find anyone locally.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Dedicated Supporter

Hi Will,

It seems to me that the vast majority of sellers don't tell people that they are looking for a local pick-up in the advert title. Once inside the ad, they tell you that it's local pick-up, then don't tell you were they are located. This doesn't seem to be working fine to me.

Frustrated in Staten Island, Richard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by §lipperhead View Post
Don't forget, some people are willing to ship contingent that no one locally wants whatever they are selling. Are you saying they would have to make another thread to announce they are shipping frogs now?

I think the system works well with interested buyers sending a message to sellers telling them they are willing to jump on the offer when the seller cannot find anyone locally.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 AM

Oh I understand now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
Hi Will,

It seems to me that the vast majority of sellers don't tell people that they are looking for a local pick-up in the advert title. Once inside the ad, they tell you that it's local pick-up, then don't tell you were they are located. This doesn't seem to be working fine to me.

Frustrated in Staten Island, Richard.
So what is being done about this? Require first name and state?
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Mod

It's under discussion Will.

s
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 AM
Administrator

As I have stated we will work to require location, but I have no intentions to require real name. It is simply not feasible, safe or easily manageable. It is the buyers responsibility to gain the proper information when purchasing items and not the responsibility of this site. If your concerned about a seller simply don't buy from them.
JoshK likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to kyle1745 For This Useful Post:
Pumilo (05-06-2011)