Seller location and name - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree19Likes
  • 7 Post By JeremyHuff
  • 4 Post By kyle1745
  • 2 Post By Pumilo
  • 1 Post By Scott
  • 1 Post By BOOSHIFIED
  • 1 Post By slipperheads
  • 2 Post By tim13
  • 1 Post By kyle1745

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2011, 10:22 AM
JeremyHuff's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cranbury, NJ
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 149
Thanked 138 Times in 78 Posts
Default Seller location and name

Can it be made mandatory to have a seller's location and name listed on the ad? I am so tired of "local only" ads with no location given and then the need to ask and wait for an answer. These ads are all reviewed by moderators first and I think that should be a condition for posting. Also, I don't understand the need for anonymity when offering something for sale unless the seller is not an honest person.
__________________
Jeremy
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeremyHuff For This Useful Post:
JJhuang (05-01-2011), rcteem (05-02-2011), Scott (05-02-2011), VenomR00 (05-01-2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2011, 02:07 AM
kyle1745's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 13,236
Thanks: 24
Thanked 375 Times in 104 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

While I understand the concern it is not realistic to expect someone to post their full name online. I agree one should obtain it prior to a deal but with the level of identity theft and abuse I understand why many are not comfortable with posting their full name online.

I do agree that if it is local only they need to provide the location and I will discuss with the moderation team. Understand though we have a lot to review so we are normally reviewing items rather fast so again take the time to know the person you are working with. No effort on our part is going to protect you as well as you can protect yourself. Get references and ask for others experience with sellers before providing a dime if you have a concern.
melas, Woodsman, JoshK and 1 others like this.
__________________
Kyle
Site Administrator
http://www.kylesphotos.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyle1745 For This Useful Post:
Woodsman (05-02-2011)
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 AM
sports_doc's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: New England
Posts: 5,602
Thanks: 265
Thanked 222 Times in 148 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Jeremy

We've tried many a time to get some consistency with Ads.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/fro...mat-sales.html

It is even a sticky in the Ad section.

Try as we may........
__________________
Shawn Harrington
FACEBOOK:https://www.facebook.com/FrogWhisperer
Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 AM
Pumilo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 10,232
Thanks: 831
Thanked 1,813 Times in 1,317 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

For anyone who still doesn't get the last name thing, here is one reason. I have children. One of them is active on the board. While I like to think that all of us are good people, can any of you guarantee that some, well, undesirable is not lurking around on here? I thought not. My location is out there for all to see. If I post my last name, too, anyone can find my children. But if I am PMing with someone I know to be a frogger, just ask. My name is no secret.
Just one reason that every last bit on information may not be included in an ad.
edwardsatc and frogface like this.
__________________
Doug
Questions are not ignorance. Questions are the birth of knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 01:16 AM
frogface's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 8,465
Thanks: 1,444
Thanked 679 Times in 521 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumilo View Post
For anyone who still doesn't get the last name thing, here is one reason. I have children. One of them is active on the board. While I like to think that all of us are good people, can any of you guarantee that some, well, undesirable is not lurking around on here? I thought not. My location is out there for all to see. If I post my last name, too, anyone can find my children. But if I am PMing with someone I know to be a frogger, just ask. My name is no secret.
Just one reason that every last bit on information may not be included in an ad.
Exactly. In addition to kids on the board, we also have many girls here. If we want to give our full name and location to someone privately, that's one thing. Posting it for the world at large to see, is something altogether different.

Even with people I've dealt with, I give my work address to send items (deliveries are consistent and early there), which is a government agency and no one is likely to get personal info from there.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frogface For This Useful Post:
Pumilo (05-03-2011)
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 AM
JeremyHuff's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cranbury, NJ
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 149
Thanked 138 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

For me, the name issue isn't as big a problem as location. I am not asking for an address, just a city or even state. If it were made a mandatory field when making an account then that is a start.

As for reviewing ads by moderators, if the location in the top right corner isn't filled out, don't accept it. Are ads actually reviewed? Are ads ever rejected, and if so, for what sort of things? If each ad is reviewed, I don't see how checking a location is adding to the workload.
__________________
Jeremy
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 04:26 AM
JeremyHuff's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Cranbury, NJ
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 149
Thanked 138 Times in 78 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Would it be possible that when a new thread within any of the classified sections is made, a template of required fields is automatically there and each field needs to be filled in in order for a submittal to be accepted? It seems like every form I fill out online is like this and rejects it instantly if a field is left empty.
__________________
Jeremy

Last edited by JeremyHuff; 05-03-2011 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Poor sentence structure
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 AM
Scott's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 8,548
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 108
Thanked 439 Times in 262 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Ads are rejected. Not often, but they are. I rejected one yesterday evening.

We're discussing making the template mandatory - including location.

s
Woodsman likes this.
__________________
Join the Southwest Frog Group FB Page!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
Pumilo (05-03-2011), Woodsman (05-04-2011)
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 AM
BOOSHIFIED's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 646
Thanks: 76
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

It does seem to happen a lot.

It's more of a nuisance then anything. These people go out of there way to make sure they say local only about 4 times in the ad and then have to be asked what exactly local means. Makes no sense.

As for the name I don't see that as at all necessary. If it is a local sale and we meet in person why do you need to know my full name? If I wanted to just go by my DB SN that should be no problem.
JoshK likes this.
__________________
Contemplating a return to the hobby.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,254
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Seems like a good idea to me. People might have security concerns for themselves or their family though, as Doug suggested. But that would be for last name sharing ALONG with your location.

Let's clarify what a local pickup is. In my experience, I have driven more times out of my town then have someone come to me when "selling locally." So, just a suggestion - Require the state that you are in, and leave the town/ city under the seller's discretion. This would preserve the anonymity that some people might have for their own personal reasons, yet leave people interested in what they are selling a good idea of where they are.

Will
evolvstll likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 05-03-2011, 09:09 PM
TWI/ASN
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 568
Thanks: 30
Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogface View Post
Exactly. In addition to kids on the board, we also have many girls here. If we want to give our full name and location to someone privately, that's one thing. Posting it for the world at large to see, is something altogether different.

Even with people I've dealt with, I give my work address to send items (deliveries are consistent and early there), which is a government agency and no one is likely to get personal info from there.
There's girls on here? Ahhhhhhhh......cooooooootiesssss
frogface and Pumilo like this.
__________________
leucs,Tinc. Matechos,P. vittatus',imis Standard,auratus C.R. G&B,auratus Pan. G&B
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Woodsman's Avatar
Dedicated Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 2,747
Thanks: 340
Thanked 299 Times in 222 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

I personally like to address people by a name (rather than just a screen name), so I would be happy if we could get to first names on the board. It's just more friendly, in my opinion.

Perhaps there could be a section for local pick-up sales versus people willing to ship. It can be very frustrating to figure out what someone is really trying to accomplish with their adverts sometime. If I am offering a local-only sale the title is always something like

"Tinctorius for local p-up in NYC". That doesn't seem so difficult.

I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever good ideas are put in place. Richard.
__________________
Richard Lynch (Giant Orange, Regina, Citronella, Suriname Cobalt, Powderblue, Alanis, Azureus, Patricia, Oyapok, Green Sip, tinc Nominat, Leucomelas).
__________________________________________________ _______________________
If you raise poison dart frogs, you can't say that you'd never hurt a fly!!
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:45 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,254
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
I personally like to address people by a name (rather than just a screen name), so I would be happy if we could get to first names on the board. It's just more friendly, in my opinion.

Perhaps there could be a section for local pick-up sales versus people willing to ship. It can be very frustrating to figure out what someone is really trying to accomplish with their adverts sometime. If I am offering a local-only sale the title is always something like

"Tinctorius for local p-up in NYC". That doesn't seem so difficult.

I'm sure I'll be happy with whatever good ideas are put in place. Richard.
Don't forget, some people are willing to ship contingent that no one locally wants whatever they are selling. Are you saying they would have to make another thread to announce they are shipping frogs now?

I think the system works well with interested buyers sending a message to sellers telling them they are willing to jump on the offer when the seller cannot find anyone locally.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Woodsman's Avatar
Dedicated Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Staten Island, NYC
Posts: 2,747
Thanks: 340
Thanked 299 Times in 222 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Hi Will,

It seems to me that the vast majority of sellers don't tell people that they are looking for a local pick-up in the advert title. Once inside the ad, they tell you that it's local pick-up, then don't tell you were they are located. This doesn't seem to be working fine to me.

Frustrated in Staten Island, Richard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by §lipperhead View Post
Don't forget, some people are willing to ship contingent that no one locally wants whatever they are selling. Are you saying they would have to make another thread to announce they are shipping frogs now?

I think the system works well with interested buyers sending a message to sellers telling them they are willing to jump on the offer when the seller cannot find anyone locally.
__________________
Richard Lynch (Giant Orange, Regina, Citronella, Suriname Cobalt, Powderblue, Alanis, Azureus, Patricia, Oyapok, Green Sip, tinc Nominat, Leucomelas).
__________________________________________________ _______________________
If you raise poison dart frogs, you can't say that you'd never hurt a fly!!
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2011, 03:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,254
Thanks: 2
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

Oh I understand now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
Hi Will,

It seems to me that the vast majority of sellers don't tell people that they are looking for a local pick-up in the advert title. Once inside the ad, they tell you that it's local pick-up, then don't tell you were they are located. This doesn't seem to be working fine to me.

Frustrated in Staten Island, Richard.
So what is being done about this? Require first name and state?
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2011, 03:14 AM
Scott's Avatar
Mod
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 8,548
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 108
Thanked 439 Times in 262 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

It's under discussion Will.

s
__________________
Join the Southwest Frog Group FB Page!
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 05-06-2011, 01:20 AM
kyle1745's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 13,236
Thanks: 24
Thanked 375 Times in 104 Posts
Default Re: Seller location and name

As I have stated we will work to require location, but I have no intentions to require real name. It is simply not feasible, safe or easily manageable. It is the buyers responsibility to gain the proper information when purchasing items and not the responsibility of this site. If your concerned about a seller simply don't buy from them.
JoshK likes this.
__________________
Kyle
Site Administrator
http://www.kylesphotos.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyle1745 For This Useful Post:
Pumilo (05-06-2011)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can this plant seller list be a sticky??? Dendro Dave Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions 35 09-02-2015 08:05 AM
Ebay seller- Moss galore D3monic Plants 5 02-23-2010 04:14 AM
AsiaticGreen.com Orchid seller gold3nku5h Plants 9 08-17-2008 05:28 AM
P. terribilis. Is the seller being honest on toxicity level? shawn13 Beginner Discussion 27 12-11-2006 09:38 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT. The time now is 03:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.