No longer able to see classifieds? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors

facebook

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By TarantulaGuy
  • 1 Post By JuanBlack
  • 1 Post By Pubfiction
  • 1 Post By rpping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 PM

Default No longer able to see classifieds?

When I joined I was able to view both frog and plant classifieds. I did not try posting in either section but for the last three days or so the section with classifieds does not appear. If this is the wrong section to post this i apologize but was wondering if anyone may know why this happened? I had to reset my password a day or so before this happened if that makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016, 06:57 PM

Default Re: No longer able to see classifieds?

You need a certain amount of posts and/or time as a registered member as far as I know. This was changed in the last couple of weeks.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:02 PM

I have the same problem. It really isn't a great idea because how are we supposed to find the frogs we want now? How many post are we supposed to have?

John from Wappingers

Old 08-08-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanBlack View Post
I have the same problem. It really isn't a great idea because how are we supposed to find the frogs we want now? How many post are we supposed to have?

John from Wappingers
I want to say it's 25 quality posts. There have been recent issues of scammers hitting the forum, the requirement is designed to make it harder for them to cheat people. It's a minimal requirement, if you're serious about the hobby you shouldn't have any problems meeting it.
carola1155, JuanBlack and erikm like this.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarantulaGuy View Post
I want to say it's 25 quality posts. There have been recent issues of scammers hitting the forum, the requirement is designed to make it harder for them to cheat people. It's a minimal requirement, if you're serious about the hobby you shouldn't have any problems meeting it.

Thank you!

John from Wappingers
TarantulaGuy likes this.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:37 PM

It is a bit of a bummer to new members, such as myself. Quite a few of us are in the planning stage and it makes "doing our research" a bit difficult when blocked. Being new hobbyist, we may not have enough experience to offer feedback on many topics.

Luckily I've located the sources of plants and frogs that I plan to keep, but I certainly see the dangers of ordering from unethical individuals. With that being said, I would hate to get scammed or end up with diseased frogs/plants, and do appreciate the moderators trying to help. I wonder if there is a way to just make it a certain number of posts or length of membership in order to post anything in the classifieds instead of blocking the viewing?
Old 08-08-2016, 07:49 PM

same problem... If you log out you can see them again which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Replying here to add another post and perhaps get closer to seeing marketplace while logged in.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:55 PM

Smile Re: No longer able to see classifieds?

And this is a useless additional post to add to arbitrary post count requirement.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:44 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn View Post
same problem... If you log out you can see them again which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Replying here to add another post and perhaps get closer to seeing marketplace while logged in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn View Post
And this is a useless additional post to add to arbitrary post count requirement.
The key word here being USEFUL posts.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:58 PM

I disagree with this policy, a scammer will be motivated to overcome any obstacle. None of your policies are going to stop them. So what is the point? All your policy does is reduce how much influence and help we can offer to new people. Oh well more reason for people to move to facebook and away from the forum.
Fingolfin likes this.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubfiction View Post
I disagree with this policy, a scammer will be motivated to overcome any obstacle. None of your policies are going to stop them. So what is the point? All your policy does is reduce how much influence and help we can offer to new people. Oh well more reason for people to move to facebook and away from the forum.
Respectfully, there's no help being offered in the classifieds section. New members have full access to all the actual informative areas of the forums, and I believe they can even check out the vendor feedback sections, they only thing they can't do is post buy/sell ads in the classifieds. A motivated scammer could absolutely hit a 25 post minimum to post, but it does help keep automated bots from spamming forums with ads, and keeps some lesser motivated unscrupulous people away. You can't stop all the bad people from showing up, but you can at least *try* to keep some of them away. I feel like some effort is better then none. Past the 25 post minimum, if someone hits it and is scamming, it's up to the buyers at that point to do their due diligence about the transaction and vendor. Also, IMHO, facebook is garbage. I'm in several different frog/vivarium groups, and there's little information being presented there, mostly just 'look at my mixed viv' or 'buy these animals.' A forum, for me, is still the best place to go to look for specialized information, even if buying/selling seems to be increasingly going to facebook.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:55 AM
Mod

Quote:
He hit the nail on the head here ^^

Per the User Agreement:

Quote:
Marketplace sections are limited to users with at least 25 posts and who have met the undisclosed wait period.
We will always encourage people to become part of the community before buying and selling things. Letting other members get to know you, and getting to know the other members will promote better purchases. The primary goal of this forum is to share information and promote a sense of community within the hobby. Classifieds have always been and will always be secondary to this mission.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:42 AM

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who ran into this restriction after a year of mostly lurking. I understand the reason behind it, but I have to say it was, initially, a bit confusing and made me wonder "what" I had done wrong to get restricted.

Any effort to reduce spammers and other illegits is something I have to support. I've seen what spammers and scammers can do to ruin groups and I'd hate to see it become more of a problem here.
TarantulaGuy likes this.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Respectfully, there's no help being offered in the classifieds section. New members have full access to all the actual informative areas of the forums, and I believe they can even check out the vendor feedback sections, they only thing they can't do is post buy/sell ads in the classifieds. A motivated scammer could absolutely hit a 25 post minimum to post, but it does help keep automated bots from spamming forums with ads, and keeps some lesser motivated unscrupulous people away. You can't stop all the bad people from showing up, but you can at least *try* to keep some of them away. I feel like some effort is better then none. Past the 25 post minimum, if someone hits it and is scamming, it's up to the buyers at that point to do their due diligence about the transaction and vendor. Also, IMHO, facebook is garbage. I'm in several different frog/vivarium groups, and there's little information being presented there, mostly just 'look at my mixed viv' or 'buy these animals.' A forum, for me, is still the best place to go to look for specialized information, even if buying/selling seems to be increasingly going to facebook.
You can try to keep some of them away but if in your effort to keep some of them away you have kept 20x as many new recruits away what have you gained? The initial introduction to a forum is critical for forum growth and any small obstacle can turn people away, but hey lets get real VS doesn't really care about forum growth all they want is to serve ads up to people who don't ever login. I agree with you that the forum is better but with each more restrictive policy less people turn to the forum for help and that does not help the forum in any way. Eventually that means the sponsors exit, which has happened to some degree already. And more of those people turn to something like facebook, ask the vendors who are honest they will tell you sales are turning in that direction. Some events no longer even get advertised here and what do we do? Make it more restrictive.

The classifieds section IMO is very important to new people who are going to be looking to buy supplies, animals, plants etc..... As Ed has pointed out one of the big problems in the hobby is alot of internal selling, how many frogs sit there unsold because established members don't need any more of them? Those frogs might sell a little better if it was easier for newbies to access them. Same way there are lots of other small benefits.

All I see are more completely ineffective rules piling up till its a mess of red tape and a closed esoteric community. 25 meaningful posts is nothing for a person who plans to scam $1000 out of the community, its alot more time comparitively to someone who just wants to buy a frog or some plants.

I know this may come as a shock to all of you but every time something bad happens you don't have to go make a rule or implement a policy. Sometimes you can just say shit happens be careful people. And I say that as someone who has scammed out of $400 from a dendroboard member.