Contest Picture Attachment Problems - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By carola1155
  • 1 Post By Dendro Dave
  • 2 Post By gope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2015, 05:42 PM

Default Re: DB Best Frog Picture Contest

Is this contest only for american members? I ask because on my "Reply to Thread" lacks (in "Additional Option") the usually button that allows me to attach images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 02:24 AM

Default Contest Picture Attachment Problems

I also, am missing the attachment button.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronaga View Post
I also, am missing the attachment button.
Upload to photobucket or similar then copy & paste the image code.
Dendro Dave (11-18-2015)

Old 11-18-2015, 03:58 AM
TWI/ASN

can we add the below thread to the original post? some of these pictures arent showing up and some of them are huge and its messing with the layout. i'm not sure if ppl are doing it correctly. thanks

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beg...tos-forum.html
The Following User Says Thank You to macuser For This Useful Post:
Dendro Dave (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Angry Re: DB Best Frog Picture Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
[IMG]scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10915254_700061993458011_3915609773091725059_n.jpg ?oh=c6551258492e4835fcc9c8956f81431c&oe=56FAA1CE[/IMG]
I have no edit options !!!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybyferns View Post
I have no edit options !!!
Hi Lynn,

It looks like you tried to embedded an image off a storage device instead of off a website or other forum page, or uploading it to db specifically.

If you upload that pic to an image hosting site like flickr, photo bucket, imageshack etc... It allows to to quickly grab the url and use the text editor option to embed image (yellow box with mountain and moon) on anotber site instead of reuploading a pic to every site you wanna post it on. Is a godsend if you wanna post same pic to multiple forums, or grab an image from another site to use in your posts without having to download it to your PC, phone or tablet.

Any image hosting site and most web pages that have pics should give yiu a way to get then copy/paste the image url and then you use those tags like you tried to before. On flickr when you view the pic down in bottom right corner there is an icon that if you hover mouse over it it will give you a list of sizes to download or you can click see all sizes then pick tbe size you like then right click that image and it will give an option to copy image url and that is what you paste to dendroboard then manually add the image tags, or click the little yellow box with the mountain and moon above where you write in the text, and paste the url into the box that appears.

(Can probaby ignore this section but just in case: If you try to grab URL from Google images from a mobile device using chrome once you click on the thumbnail and get the image on a black popup screen you may have to switch to "desktop" mode to get the "visit page" or "view image" options for some strange reason... Mute point on PC or maybe with other web browsers)

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Also to the left of that icon on flicker that offered to let you view all sizes you should be able to hover over and get an option to edit the pic online in aviary to crop, resize, remove red eye etc... etc... and resave the pic as a replacement or as a 2nd edited version of the original. Be careful not to quickly/ accidentally hit "replace" if you wanna keep copy of original on flickr also.

If you've ever posted that pic to another forum or even face book you can go to that site click on the pic to get the best view then right click to copy image URL and then come back to db and paste that Iink to the message box and add the tags yourself or use that yellow mountain/moon box and paste it in there.

This allows you to grab any pic from anywhere on the internet that doesnt have special protections in place to prevent right clicking, including pics you posted to other sites and quickly paste and use them on another site or forum. That's how I always post pics embedded within the message body without it creating that little attachment box and having to upload every pic every time I wanna post it to a new forum, nor do you/other users have to click on a thumbnail to see a decent size version of PIC
]

Sadly I guess because it is a contest section you need to be sure to preview any post and correct errors before confirming "send" because are typical ability to end for 30min or so is disabled in this section.

I probably made that seem more complicated then it is but even on flicker where recent changes have made it harder to get to a screen that let's you choose a size then capture the URL once you figure out it is that icon on bottom right this makes quickly grabbing images from most websites, including your own from other forums or websites and embedding them into new posts. Like on Facebook once I've posted a picture there I just go back there and copy/paste the URL into my forum posts so that facebook basically hosts the image for the forum viewers, and I don't have to reupload the thing from my hard drive again.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:52 PM
Mod

Hey everyone, just a tip for uploading the photos...

1) If you use the enhanced mobile view to upload from your phone it is a piece of cake. When you click reply there is a paperclip/attachment button at the top right of your screen that you just need to click. It gives you the option to take a new photo or upload an existing photo from your phone.

2) Tapatalk also has pretty simple functionality for uploading as well. Press the plus sign at the bottom near the reply box and it opens up a larger text area as well as provides you with 4 icons... two of which are the picture functions of using an existing photo or taking a new one.

3) If you want to upload from an external photosharing site... simply use the BB code [IMG]***insert URL here***[/IMG] If you have problems with the code just simply paste the image url and a member of the moderation team can format it for you.

4)Uploading from a desktop/laptop computer... you need to click reply and once you jump to the next page you will be presented with your normal reply box as well as some options below it. I have outlined what you need to click below in the attachments of this post.

Once you get to the pop up window, click "choose file" and find it on your computer. When you have chosen the file, click on the "Upload" button. This will then update your "current attachments" list (highlighted in green). Once your file is listed there, you can close that window and go back to your original post to hit submit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg db.jpg (19.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg db2.jpg (14.8 KB, 9 views)
gope likes this.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carola1155 View Post

1) If you use the enhanced mobile view to upload from your phone it is a piece of cake. When you click reply there is a paperclip/attachment button at the top right of your screen that you just need to click. It gives you the option to take a new photo or upload an existing photo from your phone.

2) Tapatalk also has pretty simple functionality for uploading as well. Press the plus sign at the bottom near the reply box and it opens up a larger text area as well as provides you with 4 icons... two of which are the picture functions of using an existing photo or taking a new one.

3) If you want to upload from an external photosharing site... simply use the BB code [IMG]***insert URL here***[/IMG] If you have problems with the code just simply paste the image url and a member of the moderation team can format it for you.

4)Uploading from a desktop/laptop computer... you need to click reply and once you jump to the next page you will be presented with your normal reply box as well as some options below it. I have outlined what you need to click below in the attachments of this post.

Once you get to the pop up window, click "choose file" and find it on your computer. When you have chosen the file, click on the "Upload" button. This will then update your "current attachments" list (highlighted in green). Once your file is listed there, you can close that window and go back to your original post to hit submit.
I can't view those attachments?
Old 11-19-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carola1155 View Post

Tom I think when people click on those Jpeg attachments it comes up as restricted access. At least it seems to for Lynn and I.
-------------------------------------------

If you are trying to post a PIC from your Facebook time line make sure you left click on image first to go ton the actual web page that single image is on so you can right click there and grab image URL to post in the text editor's post image pop up box.

Also when copy/pasting image URL into the DB post image pop up box, that you paste over or erase the "http://" they already typed in the box for you or you'll get a double http in the image URL and it won't work.

If it is OK with Mods people can PM the webpage address of any pic they want to post for tbe contest and I can repost it embedded for them, instead of as an attachment.

Once you learn how to grab IMG URLs you'll never wanna upload attachments to a forum post again because it is so much easier.... and makes creating cool posts a lot easier.
gope likes this.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:27 PM

I can't see the attachment button on this post it's not part of the Additional Options like other posts.
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Old 11-19-2015, 05:50 PM

Default Re: Contest Picture Attachment Problems

I have no longer interest in participating because I can not compete with the beautiful pics I've seen. I already have in my mind my winner, if I if I can vote.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaius View Post
I can't see the attachment button on this post it's not part of the Additional Options like other posts.
I figured it out..by using Photobucket.
Why doesn't the regular attachment button for photos show up on this post?
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Old 11-20-2015, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
Tom I think when people click on those Jpeg attachments it comes up as restricted access. At least it seems to for Lynn and I.
-------------------------------------------

If you are trying to post a PIC from your Facebook time line make sure you left click on image first to go ton the actual web page that single image is on so you can right click there and grab image URL to post in the text editor's post image pop up box.

Also when copy/pasting image URL into the DB post image pop up box, that you paste over or erase the "http://" they already typed in the box for you or you'll get a double http in the image URL and it won't work.

If it is OK with Mods people can PM the webpage address of any pic they want to post for tbe contest and I can repost it embedded for them, instead of as an attachment.

Once you learn how to grab IMG URLs you'll never wanna upload attachments to a forum post again because it is so much easier.... and makes creating cool posts a lot easier.
I'm still getting this for some of the images. Drewbaca's is the latest.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:42 AM

It seems to only be the other thread that I can't attach a photo in. The options aren't available. So I'm gonna put it here, maybe the contest gods will smile on me.

Edit: Nm. I just quoted from here. that seemed to work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0427.jpg (94.5 KB, 379 views)

Last edited by tardis101; 11-22-2015 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 PM

I think that functionality may have been turned off due to the special nature of that section of the forum and a perceived need to be more strict about editing/ access

I think we only get 30min to edit usually, so personally if within that time someone were to rethink what they posted and change it I'd be fine with that. Its only after hours or days when the conversation has progressed and someone wants to erase or rewrite history that might bother me.

It's a contest with real prizes, and enough people are having trouble that we might be setting ourselves up for enough frustration and hurt feelings, that it would be worth temporarily enabling standard features on that part of the forum.

2 cents
Old 11-23-2015, 12:17 AM

Vanzolini on a leaf...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150607_194552-1_1448237722403.jpg (80.9 KB, 319 views)
Old 11-23-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRRavelo View Post
Vanzolini on a leaf...
RRR, I'm not a mod but since your attachment works in this thread I was able to left click it and view the full size image then right click that to grab the IMG URL and copy/paste it into the embed image pop up box in the other threads text editor (that appears when the yellow mountain/moon box is clicked). Hopefully that will suffice, but might PM a mod to let em know or keep an eye on it to make sure it gets entered into the voting.

Anyone who posts their attachment here can can view the post in this thread and left click the pic to view full size and then right click that to grab image URL and then embed that in their contest entry post like I and other people did to get their pics to show.... hope that helps. If not you can PM me and I'll do it for you if you manage to attach your photo to a post in this thread.

When you paste that URL into the pop up box it will have already typed the "http://" part so make sure you delete/paste over that so it isn't repeated... just don't get 2 " HTTP:// " 's in there and it should work.

This should cut down on how many pics the MODs have to to embed into the other thread or otherwise record for people who have had trouble getting their pic to appear in the main contest thread.

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 11-23-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:01 PM

Old 11-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Mod

Most issues with pictures that we are "fixing" are related to people either posting the URL to the webpage where the picture is hosted or copying and pasting the wrong information. In most cases, we are able to fix your post... If it does not work, hang tight as we are watching the thread and fixing broken pictures when possible.

To post a picture, make sure you right click your picture that is hosted in a website (Flicker, Google, Photobucket, Imgur, etc.), then select "Copy Image URL." That is what you want to paste into the "Insert Image" function. Make sure you remove the prompted http:// and that the URL ends in .jpg (in MOST cases).

If the image is in your computer, you will have to use the attachment function.

I have asked the administrators to take a look at this thread since there are questions regarding the functionality of the contest's thread. In the meantime, feel free to PM me with issue.

Last edited by JPccusa; 11-23-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:45 PM

Here is the link

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
Old 11-23-2015, 06:57 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin View Post
Your link is (spaces added on purpose)

http:// imgur.com / x7AF0cF

You should click on the "Insert Image" button (yellow with a mountain), and post the following link (without the added spaces):

http:// i.imgur.com / x7AF0cF.jpg

Small difference that makes all the difference.
Old 11-23-2015, 08:32 PM

Just something to consider. I've participated in contests like this on various fish forums. Usually the photos are re-posted on the voting page with an assigned number for easy access and comparison. Sometimes anonymously so that you're voting for the picture and not your buddy .The way this has all played out it's very difficult to match a number with a photo. Thanks for all your hard work just the same!
Dendro Dave and macuser like this.