The Gallery and Posting Pics - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 04:05 PM

Default The Gallery and Posting Pics

I could have sworn we had a sticky on this... since there have been a few people asking for directions, I've c/p and expanded my explanation I've given out... Kyle if you could make this a sticky that would be helpful

Taking advantage of the gallery feature on Dendroboard is highly recommended when posted pics to threads. Many free online photo sites have bandwidth limits which may cause the photos to not be displayed on threads that are accessed a lot. Having photos within the Dendroboard gallery allows other users to visit your photos, which they otherwise wouldn’t be able to see if hosted on other sites. It is especially recommended to host your avatar in your personal gallery for bandwidth reasons. Many photos hosted on other sites often get deleted or moved, and are no longer viewable on the threads on the board, which is a pain when users are referencing old threads but cannot see what is being talked about. I, personally, have plenty of web space to host pics on my own websites, but I post photos in my DB gallery that are referenced many times so I know they will always be available for viewing any of the threads they were used on.

Setting up your gallery

While you automatically get your own gallery when you sign up as a member of Dendroboard, you still need to follow a couple simple steps before you can upload pics. You need to have at least one folder in your album to be able to upload pics, so here are the steps to setting up a folder.

Make sure you are logged in. Click gallery in the menu bar just below the sponsor banners. This takes you to the gallery section were you can check out recently posted picks, some random pics, and to get into your gallery. It doesn't really matter what page as long as you're in the gallery and not the forum... below the links you've got 4 buttons... “create/order albums”, “modify albums”, “my profile”, and “sort pics”. Click the "create/order my albums".

You'll be taken to a new page with a box. In this box you'd have a list of albums... if you had them. In this case, you have to make some. At the bottom of the box you've got up and down arrows to navigate up and down the list, a delete button, and a new button. Click the new button. This will make a "new album" name appear in the box. Below the buttons is a text box... the highlighted album’s name will appear in this box where it can be edited. Change the name, or leave it (you can always change the name at a later date) and click "apply modifications" button down at the bottom of the page. Yes, you're sure you want to do the modifications, but it's nice of it to ask

Your album is created! Yay! Press the continue button. Your album folder is created, and ready for you to upload pics into

Helpful Hint: Use the folders to keep your gallery organized! You can make galleries for specific frogs in your collection, or however you want. For example, I use the folders to separate out pics of my frogs, pics of friends' frogs, plants, my avatar(s), and special topics like spider mite infestation pics, while other members seperate out their pics by thumbnails, epipedobates, tinc group, or even down to specific morphs!

Uploading to your gallery

To access your gallery if you’ve navigated away from the gallery section, click the "my gallery" link in the group of links below the menu bar. This is where you can go to browse thru your gallery, edit pics, upload, download, etc. When you want to link people to your gallery, this is the URL you'd send them (for easy access, you can always link to your gallery in your signature). Or, you can skip the browsing of your gallery, and just click the "upload" link to take you to the page where you will upload your pics to your gallery.

On the upload file page, click the "browse" button next to the text boxes under "file uploads" to upload from your computer (The URL upload is when the photo is already on the internet, and you want a copy in your gallery) and go to where you have you file saved on your computer, and select the file and click ok. The path to the file will be in the text box. When you are done selecting the file(s) you wish to upload, click "continue" at the bottom of the screen. The next screen will tell you if it is successful or not... if it is, press the continue button.

This takes you to the file information page... where in your gallery you want it to go, what you want to name it, a description, and keywords. You can set up folders at a later date and move stuff around, but for now click the drop down list for albums and select what is available (the default folder). Give the file a title... either the name of the pic, or label it what type of frog it is so that people viewing your photo thru the gallery page will know what is pictured. The description is not needed, but handy for those flipping thru the gallery... if you did not label the pic with species/morph in the title, I recommend doing it in the descriptions. The keywords section allows for easier searching of photos by giving words that describe the pic...

Click continue. The next page will tell you if it was successful or not. If it was, click continue again! TADAAAAAAAA! All uploaded. You can then use the following directions to post your photos to a thread and show them off!

Helpful Hint: The search function of the gallery is only as good as your file descriptions are! You are not required to put in a photo description or keywords, but it's highly recommended to aid those exploring the gallery. The description is handy to explain what is going on in the picture... this is often done when the pics are posted to threads, but out of context in the gallery, these explanations are poorly lacking. With Keywords, I highly recommend being courteous and taking the time to come up with a few of these for your fellow froggers so your pics will come up when they search the gallery… if it's a D. tinc 'Citronella' photo of one feeding... do something like "dendrobates tinc tinctorius citronella feeding", all the words and phrases that someone might use to search for a pic like yours. Can you find your own pics when using the search function?

Posting to Thread

When posting a pic to a thread, they have to be hosted online, such as being uploaded into our gallery. Once you upload them, click on the gallery pic to get it as large as the picture is (if they are bigger than a certain size, they are kept small, and you have to click on them to see the full pic). When you've got the pic at full size, right click on it, and choose properties. It should say the image location, given as a URL. Highlight the URL and copy it. When making a post, press the img button above the text box, it will insert the tag code. Paste the URL without spaces between it and the tags. Press the img button again, and it will insert the ending tag. Presto! Your image should be included in the thread when you preview your post!

Helpful Hint: Photos on threads are only shown 400 pixels wide, and have to be clicked to view larger. Unless you have some specific reason to have it larger, it’s recommended that you resize your photo to have it 400 pixels wide or smaller. It saves on download time for those viewing the pics, and saves space in your galleries for more photos. If you need help resizing your photos, there are many people on the board willing to show you how or do it for you… it can be done with a few minutes in paint, or higher quality resizing can be done (faster) with programs such as photoshop.

Common Problems

There are a variety of problems that can occur when posting a photo to a thread, and most often it has to do with the code between the img tags.

- If the correct source URL is not given, the photo will not be displayed. The most common mistake is using the URL of the page displaying the photo, rather than the photo itself. To make sure you are getting the URL of the photo itself, right click on the photo, and choose “view image”. The URL in the URL box in your browser will now be that of the photo itself. The other way to get the exact URL needed is to right click on the photo, and choose “properties”. The “Element Properties” dialog box will appear. The URL you are looking for is the Location URL.
- Make sure there are no spaces between the URL and the img tags, as this can cause errors in display as the spaces might be confused as part of the URL[/list]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Administrator

The old one is listed here...
http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16075
Old 02-24-2008, 02:53 PM

Default Re: The Gallery and Posting Pics

Not seeing "creat/order albums"......

Board index Change font size User Control Panel (0 new messages) • View your posts FAQ Search Members Logout [ Rich Frye ] Photo Gallery
Menu Highest Rated Recent Images Most Viewed Upload

Member's Gallery Albums
Member's Gallery
This gallery contains members personal albums.

Rich

Old 02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator

I am not sure what you are asking and or why it is in this thread...
Old 02-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Kyle, After re-reading the process I am still un-able to get to any page in the gallery other than the one I cut and pasted.
First step in how to set up your gallery "go to Gallery and click "create/order albums" no such page for me.

Rich
Old 02-25-2008, 12:56 AM

No luck for me either....
Old 02-25-2008, 12:59 AM

The original post is old, we don't have the same gallery anymore.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Administrator

The gallery is currently down... the old pictures are still viewable in the threads.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:01 PM

Will we loose the photos in the old gallery?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Administrator

They are not lost, but right now I do not have a way to get them back into the new format.

The old pictures are still there and the links to them still function. The interface is what is no longer there.

The newer gallery integrated into the template and site better than the old one will. So for now it still looks like a better option. It is just a matter of getting a couple late found bugs corrected. I am also hoping for a way to import all of the old pictures into the new format to allow people to view them again. We will see...
Old 04-22-2008, 06:20 AM

im lovin the new gallery. super easy to use and to browse other peoples photos. great job on how the site is evolving! cant wait until everyone gets all their pics up!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Thank you, and yes it is much simpler. It also adds a little camera button under each users name so people can actually see the rest of your pictures without searching.