Whats going on with this site? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree34Likes
  • 2 Post By Dev30ils
  • 1 Post By FroggyKnight
  • 5 Post By Dendro Dave
  • 5 Post By Scott
  • 1 Post By FroggyKnight
  • 4 Post By Scott
  • 6 Post By Scott
  • 2 Post By ZookeeperDoug
  • 3 Post By carola1155
  • 5 Post By Spaff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2014, 02:50 AM

Default Whats going on with this site?

Its a little ridiculous that I cannot reply to a FS post or any other post because I havent posted 25 times. I am looking to get into pumilio and have seen some nice ones for sale and am unable to even speak to someone about the animals they are selling? That doesnt make any sense. Is there something I am missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 03:03 AM

Default Re: Whats going on with this site?

That's just the site policy, and it's not just having 25 posts, there's also a random time requirement as well.

I don't believe there's anything preventing you from PMing the people though.
JPccusa and FroggyKnight like this.

For custom vivarium labels please email me at: [email protected]
Old 10-30-2014, 03:17 AM
TWI/ASN

I know some people do not like the requirements for the classified section, but there isn't anything stopping those people from buying frogs. Just use the Private Messaging function on the site as Matt said and you can easily get in contact with the seller.

To be honest, I like the requirements for posting in the classifieds. It does no harm and is an incentive to be an active member on the forum. The more you post, the more you will learn about these great frogs

John
Gamble likes this.

Imis, vanzos, variabilis, fants, leucs, tincs, terribs, pumilio

Old 10-30-2014, 04:01 AM

If you want to respond to a person who is selling something, it is more appropriate to use the private message feature.

I do agree that it is hurting this site to not be able to post something for sale until you have 25 posts. This antiquated rule had good intentions, but it has outlived it's usefulness long ago. There are frog groups on Facebook that allow you to post things for sale right away, as well as other frog forums. DB should recognize this. These were no good options years ago to post frogs for sale outside of DB, this is no longer the case.

It also hurts DB that posts for sale have to be approved. Once again, this made sense years ago when DB was the only place to be, but it isn't any longer. There are some who theorize that the moderators want first crack at any deal that's posted for sale before it becomes public. Although I don't believe it's true, there are others who do. These rumors can get traction and hurt the reputation of the site.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 AM

I'd be OK with them dropping it down to 10 posts or maybe even trying 1 for awhile, but I tend to steer clear of sellers with very few posts. I have mixed feelings about mod approval for ads. It prevents a lot of public drama probably, but on the ither hand I dont like the idea that something got snatched up before the public even gets a chance at it.

25 seems kinda high, you really have to have some time on your hands, or go around and make 25 quick "nice frogs!" Or "nice vivs!" posts. Even that would take awhile with the time limit on how many posts you can make back to back. I can see it being frustrating for people who can't hang around all day every day
Old 10-30-2014, 03:10 PM
Mod

This is to keep "fly by night" operations from only showing up to dump their frogs, or worse, try to scam people.

It's been this way for at least five years.

It's a good policy in my opinion.

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysCovered View Post
Its a little ridiculous that I cannot reply to a FS post or any other post because I havent posted 25 times. I am looking to get into pumilio and have seen some nice ones for sale and am unable to even speak to someone about the animals they are selling? That doesnt make any sense. Is there something I am missing?
andersonii85, Dane, Gamble and 2 others like this.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:13 AM

Thank you for your response Scott. Our opinions differ, but we have the same goals. I think it would be good for us to keep that in mind for this discussion. We want the same thing.

Just because a rule has been in place for 5 years does not mean it is effective. That statement only serves to argue for the status quo for the sake of the status quo. Is that right?

Unless you have 25 posts, a person cannot see the reviews section. How does that serve the community or the hobby? Wouldn't it be helpful for a new member or a non-member to be able to see reviews before making a purchase?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:30 AM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecichlid View Post
Unless you have 25 posts, a person cannot see the reviews section. How does that serve the community or the hobby? Wouldn't it be helpful for a new member or a non-member to be able to see reviews before making a purchase?
Really? I totally forgot about that. It makes no sense that they are not allowed to view that section, that should definitely change IMO.

I do stand behind the 25 post minimum on the classifieds section, though. Yeah, it might hurt the forum somewhat I guess, but its definitely worth it. In most cases, I would much rather purchase from someone who is actively posting advise and information on DB than one who sits behind the scenes and just uses the forum to list his ads. I believe the limitations on the section help keep it clean and I would hate to see the classifieds to deteriorate to the level of some other forums (some saltwater forums for example) if we loosen up on some of the restraints. Our classifieds are not very cluttered and spam is rarely a problem, I for one really like that

John
John
Gamble likes this.

Imis, vanzos, variabilis, fants, leucs, tincs, terribs, pumilio
Old 10-31-2014, 06:26 AM

You can't see reviews from the start? Ouch... Ya I feel everyone shoukd have the right to informed buying from the start.

My 2 cents
Old 11-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Mod

I think I agree regarding reading the VF - but not about writing them.

We'll ask VS if there is any way to modify that.

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
You can't see reviews from the start? Ouch... Ya I feel everyone shoukd have the right to informed buying from the start.

My 2 cents
Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Mod

VS tells us that EVERYONE should be able to SEE Vendor Feedback.

You cannot post to it until you meet requirements - but you should be able to see it.

If you are finding that not to be the case - please post here.

Thank you.

s
ecichlid (11-05-2014)
Old 11-07-2014, 04:56 AM

On the subject of mods snatchin stuff up....

I seriously doubt its an issue.

There are only a handful of mods. Do we really think these guys are snatchin up all the next level stuff from random adds getting poster?

All the really bad ass stuff gets circulated between friends and trusted froggers anyway. I think this perception that you're missing out on the cool shiznit is just that, perception. Those kinda frogs don't really get offered here often.
carola1155 and FroggyKnight like this.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZookeeperDoug View Post

There are only a handful of mods. Do we really think these guys are snatchin up all the next level stuff from random adds getting poster?

All the really bad ass stuff gets circulated between friends and trusted froggers anyway. I think this perception that you're missing out on the cool shiznit is just that, perception. Those kinda frogs don't really get offered here often.
Thanks Doug, I'll be honest... I always laugh a little bit when this gets brought up. Its time we bury it.

There are a few of us that are on the site pretty frequently. We all have different collections and different frogs we are looking for. So, the odds of that specific mod that wants that specific frog being the only one to see a new ad thread pending... are VERY slim. If another mod sees it, they are going to approve it. I can't tell you how many times I've been reading through a thread and I click "approve" only to be prompted with a message "You have not selected any posts eligible for that action" because someone already approved it in the time it took me to read it.

In reality, JP and I probably approve the bulk of the ads and we aren't exactly out there snatching up frogs left and right. I haven't bought frogs through the classified section in years. Like Doug said, we know where to get or who to ask for most of the stuff we want...

Plus, most of the really rare stuff that is actually getting posted to the public, gets double posted elsewhere too... (Shawn's RAC page for example) so it would be pretty suspicious if we were trying to sneak in and grab stuff when its already posted elsewhere.

The purpose of the approvals is to make sure that nothing illegal is getting posted and that people don't post all the crappy ads they try to put up on a regular basis. You know, the ones that leave more questions than answers about the frogs, like "Hey, I have some Azureus for sale, let me know if you want any". I can assure you we are not up to anything more sinister and the main person that likes to perpetuate this rumor is clueless and just likes stirring up controversy in his own little playpen.

(Little disclaimer: obviously I don't know what things were like in the past, so I am only speaking of what I know since I have been a mod)
Old 11-08-2014, 12:59 AM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZookeeperDoug View Post

You mean I wasn't supposed to snatch up those lehmanni and vicentei from that ad I never approved last week??
Old 11-09-2014, 05:03 AM

Well I've gotten in the habit of blaming the mods for everything that goes wrong in my life, especially Scott and Tom, so don't expect that to change any time soon. I tried that whole "personal accountability" racket, and found it to be highly over rated.

No seriously, I have my doubts that it has ever been the problem that some have claimed, but I will say if anyone interferes with the one frog purchase I can make a year... Zardoz will not be pleased

...MINE! MINE! MINE!