Intrusive banner ads on iPad - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By WhyteLocust
  • 1 Post By ZookeeperDoug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 02:09 AM

Default Intrusive banner ads on iPad

I keep getting these horrible floating banner ads while browsing the site on my iPad. They take up a good portion of the screen when in landscape orientation and float to the top as I scroll down a page.
How can I get rid of these? It is really becoming a chore to read threads with these in the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 04:16 AM
TWI/ASN

If you use the firefox mobile app I believe you can get an adblock addon. Or just use tapatalk.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Intrusive banner ads on iPad

Hi,

What browser are you using to view the site and/or are you using the mobile app to view it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyteLocust View Post
I keep getting these horrible floating banner ads while browsing the site on my iPad. They take up a good portion of the screen when in landscape orientation and float to the top as I scroll down a page.
How can I get rid of these? It is really becoming a chore to read threads with these in the way.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:10 AM

I'm using safari on the iPad (iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1). Not using tapatalk or any other apps to access the site.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Can you try using the mobile app? With so many different browsers and screen sizes to take into account, we are bound to run into problems with some browsers, especially ones running on mobile devices and tablets (hence why there is a mobile app to use the site).
Old 11-14-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I'm using safari on the iPad (iPad 1 running iOS 5.1.1). Not using tapatalk or any other apps to access the site.
You may notice, on some domains you visit, that the web address is modified with 'M', 'Mobile', even 'ipad'. Some sites provide these optimized GUI's so there is fluidity amungst different mobile platforms. Mobile internet is rapidly becomming diverse but, it has not kept up with the explosion of different devices. When you use an app, downloaded with your device, and from the appropriate location (app store for apple and Google Play for Android) you will only be given the version of the app that has an optimized API specifically for your device. Hence the two recommendations on this thread to use the app for your device. More advanced users will use different mobile browsers with 'plug ins' to work around this problem, and get the full desktop experience on their mobile device. Apple makes this more difficult with their devices because they want you to use their apps. This is apparent in Apple's closed source policy. This is also why more advanced users of mobile devices prefer Android. It is open source and may be customized at your descretion. In fact, Google encourages you to do so! This is not dendroboards fault. Good thing as they already have their fair share . o_0

Edit: this is also why Apple, Google, and even Microsoft offers updates to their operating systems. I just noticed you are running an older OS. This, again, is Apples's doing. You are limited because you have the Ipad 1. Apple is telling you to buy a newer device. It's called 'planned obsolescence'. Why do you think they seal the battery inside the device so the average user cannot replace it?

Last edited by aspidites73; 11-14-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspidites73 View Post
Hence the two recommendations on this thread to use the app for your device. More advanced users will use different mobile browsers with 'plug ins' to work around this problem, and get the full desktop experience on their mobile device.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Personally, I tend to use the bog standards on devices/desktops simply because it's what the majority of my users tend to run. That and somebody needs to know how to support it!
To be honest, this suggestion coming from yungster made me laugh. I would expect it of a "hobby" admin (for lack of a better term). I know it certainly wouldn't fly if one of my support techs or devs gave this response to one of my users.
ZookeeperDoug likes this.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Personally, I tend to use the bog standards on devices/desktops simply because it's what the majority of my users tend to run. That and somebody needs to know how to support it!
To be honest, this suggestion coming from yungster made me laugh. I would expect it of a "hobby" admin (for lack of a better term). I know it certainly wouldn't fly if one of my support techs or devs gave this response to one of my users.
With a 64%* adoption rate of iOS 7, I'm not sure how you could consider your Ipad 1 with iOS 5 as a current 'bog standard'. I do agree, however, that a better answer from admin would have been less offensive.

* Techcrunch.com 10/22/1013 accessed on 11/15/2013
Old 11-15-2013, 05:31 PM

The floating banner ads happen on iPads running 7.04. We have an iPad 3, iPad Air, and iPad mini. Happens in Safari on all of them. You can have the android/apple debate until your face turns blue, but the bottom line is the iOS platform is hugely popular, one probably used by a considerable portion of your users, so you should fix it.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM

Of course let's be honest why this problem exists in the first place and why they probably don't want to fix it in the first place. It generates false click throughs. I know I've been hastily scrolling and hit the banner ad before it repositions. This generates a click through and this ad revenue. It is a pretty common tactic, one that sites that are immensely more popular than DB refuse to fix as well. On of my favorite humor blogs, theChive, has the same issue.
aspidites73 likes this.