Censorship on dendroboard??? - Dendroboard
Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard > Miscellaneous > Dendroboard.com Feedback, Help Desk & Questions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By mindcrash
  • 1 Post By ZookeeperDoug
  • 1 Post By pdfCrazy
  • 1 Post By Trey
  • 1 Post By Scott Richardson
  • 1 Post By Scott Richardson
  • 3 Post By Philsuma
  • 2 Post By ZookeeperDoug
  • 5 Post By JPccusa
  • 2 Post By Scott
  • 1 Post By Scott

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 06:29 PM

Default Censorship on dendroboard???

OK, I am starting this thread out of concern. It IS NOT to promote a vendor, nor is it to harass any Mods. I started a thread the other day about a product I had noticed that was being sold by a certain vendor. I asked others for their thoughts on this product, and if they had seen or used it. I included a link to the product. My thread was immediately removed, and I was told I was posting an "AD" for the company who is not allowed to advertise. I am concerned because, while I understand this company may be banned, as is their advertising, banning OUR discussion of said company is a slippery slope of censorship and controlling what people say and think. This forum's intent, as I understand it, is to foster discussion, share ideas, and further our knowledge, understanding and communication of this great hobby. It is one thing to silence a vendor whose values may not correspond with Dendroboards, it is another totally different thing to silence us on discussing this company.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Censorship on dendroboard???

well, did you get your answer? what product is it? you can discuss a product without naming a retailer cant you?

Old 08-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Lol, if I mention the product or vendor again, this thread AUTOMATICALLY becomes an AD for the company right? Then my thread gets deleted again before anyone reads it or responds. I started THIS thread, not at all about this company or their product, but about being silenced because I asked for opinions

Old 08-09-2013, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogparty View Post
well, did you get your answer? what product is it? you can discuss a product without naming a retailer cant you?
How would he have gotten his answer if the thread was closed?

And how do you discuss a product without mentioning the retailer if the retailer is the sole provider of said product?
Judy S likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:41 PM

It was about a new LED light
Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 PM

And just for the record, I wont mention which Mod, because it is irrelevant, and it is not about him/her
Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 PM

I saw that you mentioned that light in the Vendor section of the boards under another sponsors advertisement, which was out of line IMO and that post was removed, are you talking about another thread? We all know who you're talking about. Talking about them isn't censored but threads are frequently locked or deleted because they get out of control. We also know said vendor is trying to get others not affiliated with them to post mentions of their products as a form advertising. The mod staff is just a little too smart for that.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM

I recently ran into the same situation, and have come to an acceptable (if only in my eyes) conclusion. Plain and simple, it is an emotionally charged topic that will have any message or valued information lost in a never ending stream of emotional opinions. That being said, I agree that it is censorship but, and only in this situation with said vendor, I accept that the only way to properly moderate is by simply not allowing it. Otherwise, it turns into a he said/she said [email protected]/. The dead horse can't be beaten because the dead horse has been removed. Grey area? Most definately. Fair to all? It never is. The best way to keep things civil? I now believe so. I (and everyone else) does not have to agree with it to accept it.

Edit: I know its been a long time comming, but I am going to be testing what I feel is either the same, or reasonable facsimilie, of said bulb. I had one of them and compared it to the generic I found available. Other than the branding, I feel it is the same bulb. I returned the branded bulb as a courtesy (I know I don't owe them that. I simply believe in it) and will be substituting my testing with the non-branded bulb. I promise my data will be made available soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfCrazy View Post
Lol, if I mention the product or vendor again, this thread AUTOMATICALLY becomes an AD for the company right? Then my thread gets deleted again before anyone reads it or responds. I started THIS thread, not at all about this company or their product, but about being silenced because I asked for opinions

Last edited by aspidites73; 08-09-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZookeeperDoug View Post
I saw that you mentioned that light in the Vendor section of the boards under another sponsors advertisement, which was out of line IMO and that post was removed, are you talking about another thread? We all know who you're talking about. Talking about them isn't censored but threads are frequently locked or deleted because they get out of control. We also know said vendor is trying to get others not affiliated with them to post mentions of their products as a form advertising. The mod staff is just a little too smart for that.
It doesn't help when el Presidente of that company's fan club gets hyper defensive on any thread or post about them.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, I did mention "that" light in a sponsor's thread. I forgot I was in a sponsor thread. Still, I cant find any rule against it? It seems there are a lot of un-written rules that get enforced. How do you follow an un-written, un-posted rule? But this was a NEW thread under Parts and Construction seeking input and thoughts. And I am NOT trying to be a mouthpiece or place Ads for anyone, I jus take offense at being told what I can and cannot discuss.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:08 PM

You're only being told what you can and cannot discuss HERE. At least one person has come forward and told me they were offered products or frogs in exchange for positive comments about a certain company. I'm sure the mods are well aware of this because that company picked the wrong people to make offers to. That company tried initially to buy off my criticism as well.
frogface likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:14 PM

Quote:
You're only being told what you can and cannot discuss HERE. At least one person has come forward and told me they were offered products or frogs in exchange for positive comments about a certain company. I'm sure the mods are well aware of this because that company picked the wrong people to make offers to. That company tried initially to buy off my criticism as well.
If true, that suprises me honestly that they would go to that extent to promote their business. I am NOT promoting them as I have never purchased from them. Just seeking input from others. I think if this is going to become standard operating procedure, the Mods, or Yungster, or someone needs to come out and lay out what will, and will not be allowed and why to clarify their position. It would avoid a lot of confusion
ZookeeperDoug likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:15 PM

Someone pm me the name of the banned vendor please
KC3 likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 PM

Quote:
If true, that suprises me honestly that they would go to that extent to promote their business. I am NOT promoting them as I have never purchased from them. Just seeking input from others. I think if this is going to become standard operating procedure, the Mods, or Yungster, or someone needs to come out and lay out what will, and will not be allowed and why to clarify their position. It would avoid a lot of confusion
Why? Let's say they were 5 auratus. $150 to advertise to thousands of target consumers. That is cheap advertising.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:48 PM

I don't know.....the perceived gain from one little comment/affirmation of a single product/experience dosnt seem financially worthwhile at all to me. At least not in the big picture. Now, sponsor threads, etc, actual advertisement, yes, worthwhile.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:49 PM

And while you won't say it, I will. It is the Mods. The online community of the hobby is a cliche, and if you say anything negative or disagree with a member of the cliche, they react.
Splash&Dash likes this.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know.....the perceived gain from one little comment/affirmation of a single product/experience dosnt seem financially worthwhile at all to me. At least not in the big picture. Now, sponsor threads, etc, actual advertisement, yes, worthwhile.
A new person reads your bought post. "oh, that's the light I want" Does a build thread, and lists the light used.

Success.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:58 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Richardson View Post
And while you won't say it, I will. It is the Mods. The online community of the hobby is a cliche, and if you say anything negative or disagree with a member of the cliche, they react.
Not so....not ALL of the 'online community' is a clique...
Old 08-09-2013, 08:07 PM

wait what light is this? there are generic ones out there, ahhhhhh Im soooo lost. does this bulb have red and blue in it....................
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 PM
Mod

Quote:
Yes, I did mention "that" light in a sponsor's thread. I forgot I was in a sponsor thread. Still, I cant find any rule against it? It seems there are a lot of un-written rules that get enforced. How do you follow an un-written, un-posted rule? But this was a NEW thread under Parts and Construction seeking input and thoughts. And I am NOT trying to be a mouthpiece or place Ads for anyone, I jus take offense at being told what I can and cannot discuss.
Just to clarify, the moderation team follows the User Agreement in order to enforce rules. There aren't such things as un-written and un-posted rules, but if you find one, please PM me and I'll ask it to be added to the UA. We seriously do not want members confused about how to follow rules.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:07 PM

I'll go ahead and throw out the bullshit flag on that one. When you know exactly who I mean was posting pics one after another in the breeding section of their tads and froglets. Several Mods commented in the threads. One even expressly said it was a way to skirt the selling on DB ban. He never removed anything. even said he couldn't. Another Mod commented and then removed all the posts finally. Both of those Mods reading a different UA?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:23 PM

has any of the underage people on this forum done this:

Individuals between 14 and 17 years of age may be members of DB under the following conditions. As per the TITLE XVII of the CHILDREN'S INTERNET PROTECTION Act, if the individual is under the age of 18, the parents/guardians of the individual must contact DB.s owner before registration. DB will complete the necessary documentation and then complete the registration for this minor individual.

Im going to bet not, and as such is not following the UA, and no mods are enforcing it.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsr8129 View Post

Individuals between 14 and 17 years of age may be members of DB under the following conditions. As per the TITLE XVII of the CHILDREN'S INTERNET PROTECTION Act, if the individual is under the age of 18, the parents/guardians of the individual must contact DB.s owner before registration. DB will complete the necessary documentation and then complete the registration for this minor individual.

Im going to bet not, and as such is not following the UA, and no mods are enforcing it.
Actually yes. Doug Hollister's (pumilo) son Frogboy is a good example.
Pumilo and MarkB like this.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:38 PM

1 and only because his dad is on this forum.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Care to point out examples of those you know to be in violation of this section of the UA? I'd be willing to bet the mod staff would act on those. If they know of an infraction, they do act, if anything DBs mods are pretty strict, but they don't have the time to go hunting for underage posters.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Richardson View Post
I'll go ahead and throw out the bullshit flag on that one. When you know exactly who I mean was posting pics one after another in the breeding section of their tads and froglets. Several Mods commented in the threads. One even expressly said it was a way to skirt the selling on DB ban. He never removed anything. even said he couldn't. Another Mod commented and then removed all the posts finally. Both of those Mods reading a different UA?
Your memory is flawed. It was one mod who commented, and it was to warn the OP (mods still have access to pulled threads ). Said mod never said he couldn't do it, and actually, he was the one who ended up pulling the threads after the moderation team discussed the issue at hand.

We all read the same UA, but sometimes rules and decisions are not black and white and actions don't happen immediately.

Quote:

Quote:
We have contacted several underage members' parents. Don't speak so surely about something you have no information on.
Scott, frogface, oddlot and 2 others like this.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Mod

With that said, let me invite everyone to read item M of the User Agreement.
To the OP, please contact one of the moderators or administrators should you feel we are not being fair to you/your threads.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 PM
Mod

He already has - and it has been explained.

He doesn't like it? Sorry, that's the way it is.

It's basically a link to someone who we do not allow to advertise here - so it's no different than an advertisement.

So it's NOT ALLOWED.

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPccusa View Post
To the OP, please contact one of the moderators or administrators should you feel we are not being fair to you/your threads.

Last edited by Scott; 08-10-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Mod

Common sense isn't a rule.

It's just common sense.

s
Quote:
markpulawski and oddlot like this.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:56 PM
Mod

... the Administrators may not be around much, but they have agreed with our approach (actually, it's their approach) to the situation.

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPccusa View Post
Old 08-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Mod

That's exactly what this sort of smelled like to me.

Keep the drumbeat up, keep mentioning/linking us. We'll take care of you ...

s
Quote:
Old 08-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Mod

I'm amused that some people think they should be able to post just anything they want. It just doesn't work that way.

People, me included, wanted DFC's "sponsorship" removed.

It was, and they're not even allowed to post ads here.

A link to their site is NO DIFFERENT than an ad. Sorry if you do not understand that.

And now, this thread is now closed.

s