• 1 Post By JackReidMarx
  • 1 Post By varanoid
  • 1 Post By fishingguy12345
  • 1 Post By Socratic Monologue
  • 2 Post By varanoid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2020, 12:13 PM

Default d. leucomelas plant preferences

Beyond bromeliads, which are a given, what plants have you noticed your leucs utilizing relatively more often in your tanks? Same goes for the other side of the question, are there any plants you've tried that leucs avoided or used less often? I'm in the planning phase for my first PDF viv (ventilated 24x18x24 exo terra, mist king, circulation fan).

They don't seem picky but I don't want to make assumptions. It seems like a lot of folks just use what plants they like and can make work in viv conditions. Forgive me if this question is discussed elsewhere, I used the search function with a few different terms and didn't find a specific thread on leuc plant preferences. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2020, 01:42 PM

Default Re: d. leucomelas plant preferences

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackReidMarx View Post
Beyond bromeliads, which are a given, what plants have you noticed your leucs utilizing relatively more often in your tanks? Same goes for the other side of the question, are there any plants you've tried that leucs avoided or used less often? I'm in the planning phase for my first PDF viv (ventilated 24x18x24 exo terra, mist king, circulation fan).

They don't seem picky but I don't want to make assumptions. It seems like a lot of folks just use what plants they like and can make work in viv conditions. Forgive me if this question is discussed elsewhere, I used the search function with a few different terms and didn't find a specific thread on leuc plant preferences. Thank you!
I don't keep leucomelas, so my advice might not apply to them (though everything I've read on them doesn't imply their preferences will differ from other frogs).

I always try to use at least a few large leafed "tall" plants (not ones whose leaves are essentially at the ground level, but also not very tall growing) to give the frogs some places to perch/sit/call.
I also like to use some skinny leafed plants as well for variety.
JackReidMarx likes this.
Old 07-05-2020, 01:57 PM

For leucs, I'd focus on the hardscape first -- they climb a lot and make good use of horizontal-ish structures, and need many hiding places. Cork rounds are great for both purposes. Mine do a lot of foraging, too, so lots of open ground covered with leaf litter is ideal.

For plants, I agree that the large leafed plants are good, so long as they are strong enough to support the weight of a large frog. Dense plantings of small-leaved plants is popular but doesn't do anything for leucs.

Broms are nice but don't have any special benefits for captive leucs.

Here is an inspirational video:

https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...ml#post3078178

- Whitman

Old 07-05-2020, 04:26 PM

There are *lots* of large leaf plants available; more middle of the road for size is Philodendron grazielae. Iím a big fan of it because it has fairly rigid stems and petioles, mature plants even support adult terribilis.

Doesnít grow that fast, but looks great and size is manageable if thatís an issue. Gets a lot of use both as cover and perch, from all my frogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JackReidMarx likes this.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguy12345 View Post
I don't keep leucomelas, so my advice might not apply to them (though everything I've read on them doesn't imply their preferences will differ from other frogs).

I always try to use at least a few large leafed "tall" plants (not ones whose leaves are essentially at the ground level, but also not very tall growing) to give the frogs some places to perch/sit/call.
I also like to use some skinny leafed plants as well for variety.
Thanks, fishingguy! Helpful as always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
For leucs, I'd focus on the hardscape first -- they climb a lot and make good use of horizontal-ish structures, and need many hiding places. Cork rounds are great for both purposes. Mine do a lot of foraging, too, so lots of open ground covered with leaf litter is ideal.
Definitely, their climbing and utilization of the whole habitat relative to other PDFs was a big reason for why I've picked leucs. I'll have 1-2 Galapagos staghorn (oriented horizontally through the viv) with epiphytes and a few cork bark rounds and a couple cocohuts on the floor. There appears to be a delicate balance between providing lots of plants for aesthetics and humidity while accounting for necessary leaf-covered open space, and plant growth. Thanks Socratic!

Any other thoughts from leuc keepers out there?

Last edited by JackReidMarx; 07-05-2020 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Larry! Helpful as always
Larry? ....
Old 07-05-2020, 06:17 PM

*Open mouth, insert foot* Sorry, had you confused with another. I've read a lot of this forum over the past few weeks. Lots of folks on the board!
fishingguy12345 likes this.

Last edited by JackReidMarx; 07-05-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahad View Post
There are *lots* of large leaf plants available; more middle of the road for size is Philodendron grazielae. Iím a big fan of it because it has fairly rigid stems and petioles, mature plants even support adult terribilis.

Doesnít grow that fast, but looks great and size is manageable if thatís an issue. Gets a lot of use both as cover and perch, from all my frogs.
Thanks Fahad! Exactly what I needed, there are so many varieties of the common viv plants it's good to know what other froggers have had success with.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:

What makes you think bromeliads are a given? None of my leucs have ever really used them much, they're more for your benefit than anything else. I mean, they'll climb on them once in a while, but that's it. Broms are more useful for obligates and thumbnails, of course. But no, they don't seem to have any preferences regarding viv plants.
Old 07-07-2020, 07:07 PM

Luecs were my first darts and have a special place for me. With that said, they don't "prefer" any plants, but there are certainly plants that make their environment more useable and that they can make use of.

One such plant that I had in their tank was a smaller cultivar of anthurium. It has very stiff stems and strong leaves that could support their weight, creating much more usable space in the tank. Every once in a while I would need to prune a leaf that grew too high into the glass, but was able to keep it in check for the most part. It also bloomed regularly which was an added bonus, though the blooms would often smash into the glass top.
JackReidMarx likes this.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post
What makes you think bromeliads are a given?
Reading this board for last couple months...I've seen very few tank builds without them.

Especially when plant care is probably going to be my biggest challenge based on my not-so-green-thumb, I'll go with the tried and true and NOT make things more complicated than they need to be. Folks entering any hobby sometimes make things overly complicated and try to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily especially when they don't research. I will not have that problem.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Reading this board for last couple months...I've seen very few tank builds without them.

Especially when plant care is probably going to be my biggest challenge based my not-so-green-thumb, I'll go with the tried and true and NOT make things more complicated than they need to be. Folks entering any hobby sometimes make things overly complicated and try to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily especially when they don't research. I will not have that problem.
Only my Ranitomeya tanks get bromeliads. Frogs that don't use them (my Dendrobates auratus and Adelphobates galactonatus) don't get them.
JackReidMarx likes this.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Folks entering any hobby sometimes make things overly complicated and try to reinvent the wheel unnecessarily especially when they don't research. I will not have that problem.
So very true, the observation about novices.

Realizing that, and avoiding it, is true wisdom.
fishingguy12345 likes this.

- Whitman
The Following User Says Thank You to Socratic Monologue For This Useful Post:
JackReidMarx (07-18-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratic Monologue View Post
So very true, the observation about novices.

Realizing that, and avoiding it, is true wisdom.
I'm guilty in this respect whenever I try something new and unfamiliar.