• 1 Post By scoy
  • 1 Post By Julio
  • 6 Post By JeremyHuff
  • 1 Post By EricIvins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 07:02 PM
TWI/ASN

Default awarape tincts

Anyone working with these? picked up a pair and they are awsome.

Manuran, Azurel, Judy S and 3 others like this.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ven...340-julio.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 07:53 PM

Default Re: awarape tincts

i think i saw justin (blue pumilio) post an ad on these. they're awesome looking frogs. i love the blue in the 1st pic. how many did you get?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:46 PM

How are these different from Patricia's? They look identical to some of the wild caught Patricia's that came in in the 1990's.

Best,

Chuck

Old 10-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Beautiful frogs!
In life, are the colors of your female, more like pic 1 or 2? Or maybe somewhere in the middle?
Good luck breeding them.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:54 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckpowell View Post
How are these different from Patricia's? They look identical to some of the wild caught Patricia's that came in in the 1990's.

Best,

Chuck
Patricia's are clearly a diff coloration
TheCoop likes this.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:55 PM
TWI/ASN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuran View Post
Beautiful frogs!
In life, are the colors of your female, more like pic 1 or 2? Or maybe somewhere in the middle?
Good luck breeding them.
They are more like the fist pic, but they are def much whiter then powder blues

The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Manuran (10-04-2013)
Old 10-04-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Maybe Chuck meant powder blues. Thats what I would compare them to.
Scott likes this.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 AM
TWI/ASN

Ah ok, yeah they are similar, powder blues usually have kinda a buttery coloration towards the top front, theses guys are solid white

Old 10-04-2013, 09:22 AM

So If I understand this right, according to Morphguide - die einzelnen Varianten

Awarape is the same as...
D.tinc. 'Vanessa'
D.tinc. 'Gabriella'
D.tinc. 'Gianni'
Right

Well, whatever... I like em Maybe if/when the price comes down more in line with other tincs.

What has turned me off about most tincs is the yellow/orange. I had powder blue and yellow or green sips way back in the day. I never got real excited about them, but I'm loving my Oyapocks and these look pretty cool.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
TWI/ASN

Yes according to the guide u can get all 3 color morphs from awarape breeding kinda like the green sips that can put out blue offsprings, I actually did not pay as much as they were asking for the Vanessa and Gabriella's a few months back, $700/pair that is a little crazy
Blue_Pumilio likes this.

Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Yes according to the guide u can get all 3 color morphs from awarape breeding kinda like the green sips that can put out blue offsprings, I actually did not pay as much as they were asking for the Vanessa and Gabriella's a few months back, $700/pair that is a little crazy
Ya looks like the prices are coming down. I think they just try that $700 crap to snag people thinking they can be the first and main supplier for this new and exciting species... Which I guess can pan out as long as they don't import very many EVER.

I saw some for 150 each I think, and there are some on KS right now for 175, but the guy has the pics for his alanis tinc ad mixed up with the awarape ad. I messaged him to let him know.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:10 PM

Look like powder blues to me , some offspring come out with a bit more powder up on face and sides . What locale are these from . Weird can't see much of a diff .
Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Ken Foose is advertising what looks to be alanis or inferalanis as 'Awarape'. That guy never seems to get anything right ...

kingsnake.com Classifieds: Adult Awarape Dart Frogs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The health of our waters is the principle measure of how we live on the land. — Luna Leopold
Old 10-04-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman8 View Post
Look like powder blues to me , some offspring come out with a bit more powder up on face and sides . What locale are these from . Weird can't see much of a diff .
Look here... Morphguide - die einzelnen Varianten

...And notice the variations. Of the 4 frogs pictured under "Awarape", none really show much if any yellow at all like a powder blue or powder grey typically does. There may be some powders that have little yellow, or maybe the pics are just over exposed/washed out, but typically they show some yellow around the snout. Plus I believe it is reported that these frogs come from quite a distance away from where the powder blue/grey morph lives.

These 2 Awarape especially show variation outside what you are likely to find in powders...

This one practically looks like an oyapock with a blue haze in the white...

And this one has way different legs then what a powder blue/grey would have (typically)...

And then of the other 2 we have one that resembles a powder blue but lacks yellow... then we have one that resembles a powder grey but again lacks the yellow. So in the end while it may be possible to find an Awarape, and a powder blue/grey that are basically indistinguishable from each other, when you take a broader/overall view you can see that at least so far with what we've been shown there are noticeable differences. Digging around the internet for more pics of the imports this seems to hold up. Very few if any of these frogs seem to be coming in with any yellow like a powder blue/grey would likely have.

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 10-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:31 PM

"Awarape is the same as ...
D.tinc. 'Vanessa'
D.tinc. 'Gabriella'
D.tinc. 'Gianni'
right"

I agree.
I would say: "Enjoy your Coca Tinc"!
Maybe someday: D. tinc. "Rigel10"!
Old 10-04-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsatc View Post
Ken Foose is advertising what looks to be alanis or inferalanis as 'Awarape'. That guy never seems to get anything right ...

kingsnake.com Classifieds: Adult Awarape Dart Frogs
Ya I messaged him about it, he had the alanis on the awerape, and the awarape on the alanis
Old 10-04-2013, 08:18 PM

When the wild caught Patricia came in they was a range of colors and some included ones that look identical to this morph. So I'm asking what's the difference? Just because what we call Patricia today doesn't look like this "new" morph doesn't mean it isn't the same thing.

Best,

Chuck

Quote:
Old 10-04-2013, 08:22 PM
TWI/ASN

Hey Chuck,
i was unaware of the patricias that came in that looked similar to this morph, i do remember when they first started coming in, however to my knowledge i don't recall them looking anything to the awarape

Old 10-05-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckpowell View Post
When the wild caught Patricia came in they was a range of colors and some included ones that look identical to this morph. So I'm asking what's the difference? Just because what we call Patricia today doesn't look like this "new" morph doesn't mean it isn't the same thing.

Best,

Chuck
Quote:
Hey Chuck,
i was unaware of the patricias that came in that looked similar to this morph, i do remember when they first started coming in, however to my knowledge i don't recall them looking anything to the awarape
Ya, I don't know when that was? If I was around it must have escaped my attention or I've forgotten (not unusual for me), but I don't recall ever seeing any pics of patricia that didn't have some yellow/cream coloration but I've never really been into tincs other then azureus/koetari and oyapock so maybe I just missed them

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 10-05-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Well LLL has em at $99 now guys, but no pics yet to compare them with the others we've seen.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/fro...nc-adults.html

So since the morphguide has 'Vanessa', 'Gabriella' and 'Gianni' listed under "Awarape" are we all going to be mixing any labeled as those v & g names with any other under the Awarape names? I'm not for morph mixing but I do kinda like those rare opportunities in our hobby where we kinda have sanction mixing of highly variable frogs. Exciting to see what comes out when they breed

Last edited by Dendro Dave; 10-05-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 PM

Awarape is the locale, all three "colors" occur in the same population. The exporter who discovered them gave them the three names, but now another exporter is starting to offer them and he choose to call them by the locale name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendro Dave View Post
Well LLL has em at $99 now guys, but no pics yet to compare them with the others we've seen.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/fro...nc-adults.html

So since the morphguide has 'Vanessa', 'Gabriella' and 'Gianni' listed under "Awarape" are we all going to be mixing any labeled as those v & g names with any other under the Awarape names? I'm not for morph mixing but I do kinda like those rare opportunities in our hobby where we kinda have sanction mixing of highly variable frogs. Exciting to see what comes out when they breed
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue_Pumilio For This Useful Post:
epiphytes etc. (10-05-2013)
Old 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pumilio View Post
Awarape is the locale, all three "colors" occur in the same population. The exporter who discovered them gave them the three names, but now another exporter is starting to offer them and he choose to call them by the locale name.
Ya, I'm just wondering what the hobbyists are actually going to do... Mix em since they are the same locale, or try to keep em seperate by names the first guy gave them. By our own standards we should be mixing them it sounds like... We'll see if that is how it plays out though
Old 10-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Did anybody buy them at $700 a pair. I for one, am fed up with populations named after people and this needs to stop. Pumilio is by location/region and tinctorius should be too. I will try to get some pics of mine this weekend.
billschwinn (10-10-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyHuff View Post
Did anybody buy them at $700 a pair. I for one, am fed up with populations named after people and this needs to stop. Pumilio is by location/region and tinctorius should be too. I will try to get some pics of mine this weekend.
The exporters like to protect the collection location and as far as I can tell, it's been happening as long as tincs have been in the hobby.

As for overinflated prices, usually blame the importers, but sometimes the exporters have their hand in it.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Here is the deal from the source - These Tincs were almost $300 before they left Surinam. This is from the Exporter that basically started the Dart Frog trade out of Surinam. He was the first to get them, so he dictated what price they were and how they were named. We had no control over that. The gamble was made to bring them in, and sold as what they were labeled as. Yes, they did eventually sell. Was money made? No. Money was lost over bringing something "new" in. This is how it goes....nothing really new. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose....

Fast forward to this year - Bushmaster brought in a Surinam shipment from another Exporter. One that does not ship much. This was the source of the Alanis and Patricia's that came in last year. It happens. It sucks, but what is anyone going to do about it? Needless to say, there has been much contention about this very subject down in Surinam. IT will happen again with some other something. It is just how the markets work. Yes, we hate to see our initial investments devalue overnight, but if your in it for the long haul does that really matter?

New Tinc morphs will come in as they are collected. Will I ever pay that much for a Frog again? Probably not. Some will, some won't. Just another lesson learned in a trade where lessons are learned every day.....
Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Pumilio View Post
The exporters like to protect the collection location and as far as I can tell, it's been happening as long as tincs have been in the hobby.

As for overinflated prices, usually blame the importers, but sometimes the exporters have their hand in it.
Actually I was buying in the late 80's early 90's and bought as Den. tinctorious, and they were typically assorted looking frogs and if one was attempting to breed we bought ones that looked alike.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:59 AM

What is odd is the exporter who sent them out this time offered them for significantly less last year at the same time the other ones were offered. He also told me he BOUGHT them from the exporter who you said had them around $300 each. So....who knows, but someone overpaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIvins View Post
Here is the deal from the source - These Tincs were almost $300 before they left Surinam. This is from the Exporter that basically started the Dart Frog trade out of Surinam. He was the first to get them, so he dictated what price they were and how they were named. We had no control over that. The gamble was made to bring them in, and sold as what they were labeled as. Yes, they did eventually sell. Was money made? No. Money was lost over bringing something "new" in. This is how it goes....nothing really new. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose....

Fast forward to this year - Bushmaster brought in a Surinam shipment from another Exporter. One that does not ship much. This was the source of the Alanis and Patricia's that came in last year. It happens. It sucks, but what is anyone going to do about it? Needless to say, there has been much contention about this very subject down in Surinam. IT will happen again with some other something. It is just how the markets work. Yes, we hate to see our initial investments devalue overnight, but if your in it for the long haul does that really matter?

New Tinc morphs will come in as they are collected. Will I ever pay that much for a Frog again? Probably not. Some will, some won't. Just another lesson learned in a trade where lessons are learned every day.....
Old 10-13-2013, 04:01 AM

LLL was selling "Awarape" tincs for $99 in their shop this weekend. Just a dressed up powder grey from what it looked like.

Old 10-13-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogparty View Post
LLL was selling "Awarape" tincs for $99 in their shop this weekend. Just a dressed up powder grey from what it looked like.
Did they have any yellow on them? That seems to be one of the main differences so far (Awarape having none, powders having some).

I hope they come down in the $$$ range of other tincs, since the yellow is what always turned me off about the powders.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 AM

Yeah, bit of yellow on the nose

Old 10-13-2013, 02:13 PM
TWI/ASN

Mine don't have any yellow and I saw 2 other pairs as well and they were solid white like oyapocks

Old 10-13-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Mine don't have any yellow and I saw 2 other pairs as well and they were solid white like oyapocks
Hmm I haven't seen any in real life but also haven't seen any pics of them showing yellow either. So now I'm wondering if it isn't coming through in photos or what
Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 PM

There is some yellow pigment in the mix, but it looks more like a cream versus light yellow. Nothing like Powder Blue yellow....
Dendro Dave likes this.