Go Back   Dendroboard > Dart Frogs > Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 12:47 AM

Default Thinking of breeding

I've had my ancon hill for a few months now. i thought (just as an idea) that maybe i could get him a female and breed them. I'm pretty confident i would have luck because my frog is never shy and loves his viv, especially when the fogger comes on. i was told my frog is a male but it was not yet full grown when it was sexed and because i'm fairly new, i can only guess this is true. from what i have read, this seems accurate. i have a few questions. i dont know the origins of my frog because it is from s&s exotics. would anyone buy from me because i don't have a reputation and i don't know my frog's lineage. also, if i had buyers, how much would a reasonable price be for me to sell them. this is just a random idea and i am considering it. as some of you may know, i had wanted a multispecies exhibit but was fortunately advised against it. i was not told the frogs age. how can i tell if my frog is mature? if i get a female that isnt yet mature, is it safe to put it in with my male? if both frogs are mature, does age difference matter to breeding? i thought that getting a female will at least make my vivarium a little more lively. is breeding more than it is worth? any information is gladly appreciated.
sorry...im rambling. also one random question, i obviously i dust my flies at most feedings, but what happens if someone never dusts the frog's food. the darts don't get vitamin dust in the wild so what is the purpose of it?.

2.0.0 - D. tinctorius "Oyapock"

Last edited by volcano23000; 10-25-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2012, 01:52 AM

They also don't only eat fruit flies in the wild.
Buddy

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-25-2012, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Thinking of breeding

Couldn't you contact S&S and ask if they know the lineage or if they can find out. You really need to find this out before trying to breed. Other things to consider are what are you going to do with the offspring if you cannot sell them all? Are you prepared to take care of them?

Old 10-25-2012, 03:56 PM
TWI/ASN

Contact S&S and see if it's an import or what generation it is from an import. If your gonna breed, you'll need springtails and dwarf Isopods. Be positive you have a male, or you might buy a female and find you have 0.2.0 instead of the wanted 1.1.0. So if I were you go ahead an get a proven pair to add your tentative male to.

Age doesn't matter as long as they are both sexually mature. Most ancons go for $30-$40 per adopt frog, and $125-$150 for a proven pair. YES breeding is worth the small amount amount of trouble it presents. Best of luck.

D
volcano23000 (10-28-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano23000 View Post
i obviously i dust my flies at most feedings, but what happens if someone never dusts the frog's food. the darts don't get vitamin dust in the wild so what is the purpose of it?.
In the wild, animals ingest/intake vitamins and calcium by other means such as ingestion of soil while feeding. Obviously this is more complex and I'm sure this question is better suited for Ed.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:35 PM

thank you. i will ask s&s at the coming reptile show in Houston. Im not sure about breeding but i will definately consider it. and about the vitamins, thanks for the bit of info.
@ dendroguy, do you mean i should get another proven pair or just prove that mine is a male and then get a female too. Also, what do the isopods and springtails do that helps breeding?

2.0.0 - D. tinctorius "Oyapock"

Last edited by volcano23000; 10-28-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:17 PM
TWI/ASN

There's no law that you need springtails or isopods. I think what he was referring to the fact that it's nice to have smaller foods for the frogs as they morph out.