Dendroboard

Go Back   Dendroboard
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read Advertise

Support Our Sponsors
No Threads to Display.

facebook

Dendroboard

Dendroboard (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/)
-   Breeding, Eggs & Tadpoles (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/breeding-eggs-tadpoles/)
-   -   First Calling (https://www.dendroboard.com/forum/breeding-eggs-tadpoles/88496-first-calling.html)

CCLAXX 10-20-2012 02:19 PM

First Calling

One of my froglets started to call today!!!! Now the only problem is it only happens when the other is near him. Is this a sign of bullying or a good sign. I know its to early for breeding as they are only around three months old. Any input would be helpful

-Dylan

frogface 10-20-2012 02:32 PM

Re: First Calling

Grats!! I think it's too early to tell, if they're only 3 months. Just keep an eye on them and enjoy the music, imo. :p

Tinctoc 10-21-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCLAXX (Post 782039)
One of my froglets started to call today!!!! Now the only problem is it only happens when the other is near him. Is this a sign of bullying or a good sign. I know its to early for breeding as they are only around three months old. Any input would be helpful

-Dylan

First things first. What species is in question here? What other behavior do you see when the male is calling near the unsexed one? Judging by your signature, you only have imitators? In my experience with imitators, a male will get close to a female (whether she is sexually mature or not) and call in attempt to court her. Often, 2 males will end up with wrestling, but this isn't always the case. When I first got varadero's, I had a probable pair and the male would encounter the female and start calling which in turn got her to follow him around, yet she wasn't quite old enough or ready to reproduce. Give it time and enjoy!

CCLAXX 10-21-2012 04:47 PM

Yes sorry i have two imi's . Well obviously they wont breed for a while , but the one calls when they are near eachother. This usually happens when they are at the top of the viv usually on the glass and i havent seen wrestling and i hope i never do but its still to early to tell.

Tinctoc 10-21-2012 05:34 PM

It should also be noted that males seldom call in captivity when there isn't a female present. YMMV.

heyduke 10-21-2012 09:26 PM

I have had many calling males with no female present.

Sean

Tinctoc 10-22-2012 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heyduke (Post 782272)
I have had many calling males with no female present.

Sean

Yea, it's not unheard of. I have never hd a male call with no female present....but then, I haven't kept males separate from a female for very long.

CCLAXX 10-24-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinctoc (Post 782199)
First things first. What species is in question here? What other behavior do you see when the male is calling near the unsexed one? Judging by your signature, you only have imitators? In my experience with imitators, a male will get close to a female (whether she is sexually mature or not) and call in attempt to court her. Often, 2 males will end up with wrestling, but this isn't always the case. When I first got varadero's, I had a probable pair and the male would encounter the female and start calling which in turn got her to follow him around, yet she wasn't quite old enough or ready to reproduce. Give it time and enjoy!

Heres a little proof haha...... Oh and pardon the dirty glass and the poor Quality , my bad.

mrzoggs 10-24-2012 10:27 PM

my varaderos just started calling a few days ago also :)

CCLAXX 10-24-2012 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrzoggs (Post 783140)
my varaderos just started calling a few days ago also :)

Awesome !!!!! And for some reason i cant get the video to upload so now my post look stupid ahaha

Dendroguy 10-25-2012 04:16 PM

Congrats! Varadero calls are one of my favorites. If you have a pair you'll see courting sometime in march :D.

D

CCLAXX 10-25-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dendroguy (Post 783330)
Congrats! Varadero calls are one of my favorites. If you have a pair you'll see courting sometime in march :D.

D

But thats so far away :( lol

mrzoggs 10-26-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCLAXX (Post 783455)

haha i was thinking the same thing when i read that

Dendroguy 10-26-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCLAXX (Post 783455)

When you have a pair it's all a waiting game...

D

CCLAXX 10-26-2012 01:10 AM

Im also debating getting a pumilio pair, cauchero, but im still undecided if the $250 will be worth it haha. I just want to break even with the hobby so i can enjoy my paid for froggies lol.

Dendroguy 10-26-2012 01:29 AM

Cuachero are a bit more sensitive when froglets than others, so you can't remove them from the tank for 3 months or so, with this in mind use a tank no smaller than 30 gallons. If your buying them from a DB member, or hobbyist you could probably talk them down to $200-$225. PM MW the add if there's more than one pair for sale or if they have other pums.

D

CCLAXX 10-27-2012 07:12 PM

Who's MW ? and yea if the seller responds ill see what i can do but he hasn't been responding :/